Parent sponsor - Agent help required

abz123

Very informal enquiry at this point in time.

My father-in-law has a daughter from a previous marriage and adopted my wife and her brother when he married their mother.

He has had next to no contact with his daughter for a considerable period of time (all are in their 30s)

Can we sponsor my in-laws (in time) given that only one of his three children would be in Australia or would the fact he hasn't had contact with his daughter be taken into account by the authorities?

Thanks in advance.

DIMIA (immigration) do not care what relationship applicants have (or dont have) with children, they will only take into account which country they are resident in. More children need to live in one country ie. Australia than any other. It would depend on where the other two children (adults) are living - if one is in Australia and the other two are in another (same) country then the parents will not meet the "balance of Family" test. If there are 3 adult children, all living in different countries (one in Australia) you may be able to push it a bit. Sorry cannot give more positive news, I have been down the same path and unfortunately the wait lists for sponsored parent migration are massive and unless you can prove balance of family and/or that parents are financially/physically dependent on you (almost impossible to prove for parents from UK) you may be disappointed.

Guest guest36187

Balance of family test is the big hurdle to jump before even considering family sponsorship.

Can they get here through work? Retirement visas?

We arrive in Oz in a couple of weeks and my father-in-law is trying his hardest to get a 457 as that is the only option for him given his age for now as there is no way he is financially dependent on anyone!!

If they get out on a 457 is it easier for us to get them some sort of resident visa once they are in country and he is contributing the Oz economy through taxes etc?

As I've said we're only tentatively looking into this at the moment as we haven't got there yet ourselves. (Only 12 days to go!!)

Guest guest36187

If he has the opportunity of a 457 you should remember that it is NOT a guaranteed path to Permanent residency. He would be tied to an employer, have to work certain hours ev ery week. After a period of time (each employer different) they can go for ENS856 and the employer can sponsor them through PR. Like I said there are no guarantees.

For PR you have to go through medicals, police checks again. Its like going through the visa process for a 2nd time!

Hope this helps

Archived