Our ADF process timeline and experience

Guest nev_n_angie

Guest Ady and David

Nev aand Angie - did you contact AHC? or did they contact you once the visa approval is granted? I take it they will send you the Pack containing the forms after initial contact? Sorry for the questions but the information would be helpful. Regards David

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once your Visa is granted let DNOP know (Terry George or Chris Cummins) and they will send out an "Intend to Appoint" signal which will detail who your point of contact is at Australia House. Contact them and they will send you out a pack. If you want to get slightly ahead of the curve, you could contact Australia House now, but ensure that you let them know that your Visa has not been granted yet. They will let you know what to do next and send you the pack - I have found them really helpful.

Chris.

Nev aand Angie - did you contact AHC? or did they contact you once the visa approval is granted? I take it they will send you the Pack containing the forms after initial contact? Sorry for the questions but the information would be helpful. Regards David

Guest Ady and David

Cheers Chris I'll do that in a mo. Chris has moved on now Terry is running the show. Dave.

Guest nev_n_angie

I haven't really looked at this site for a while as we've been enjoying life to the full and haven't really had chance!!!

Best of luck to all that are still in the process!

When you get the go ahead and make it to that time when you fly out, one thing to remember above all of the kaos is ENJOY IT!!! We were so busy with thinking and wandering what was in stall at this end, we didn't make the most of KL and the whole experience with coming across and the journey!

Any Q's, please ask. Chris and Elaine - I've booked time off to come and meet you both at the airport - it'll be good to say Hi! You'll probably be jet lagged like we were though :err: - anyway, see you soon!

Angie :spinny:

Hi Angie,

Thanks for the post, did not think about you having to take time off to come and meet us - and we already owe you so much for your help in all this. I take that Nev is off on the DSO course. Anyway, we shall take your advice and enjoy KL and we will see you at the airport - looking forward to meting you and the kids.

Chris

• 1 month later...
Guest ronniebarker

I will be leaving the RN in June 2010 with the intention of joining the RAN based in Nowra NSW. Therefore I need to know when would be an ideal time to start the whole ADF process for joining the RAN.

Guest ponym110

Ronnie

it will have taken me approx 18 months when i go out in November but there is no harm in starting the process now. Anymore info PM me.

Guest Ady and David

Pony, a lot of us are awaiting for the Labour Agreement to be renewed. I am still waiting for my visa. Spoke to my Case Officer - she said I should hear within 2 working Days after they receive the Labour agreement. Blood frustrating as I am provisionally booked to go 30th Sept. One guy I know is due to go 16th Sept.

Have you got your Visa?

Dave.

Ronnie

it will have taken me approx 18 months when i go out in November but there is no harm in starting the process now. Anymore info PM me.

Guest ponym110

Hello Dave

Yes mate, my labour agreement came through in April so i was still under the old one. Consequently my visa only took a couple a couple of weeks.

As i've delayed things until November we're still pretty relaxed. Best bit is with all my outstanding leave, resettlement etc i effectively started terminal leave today. I got to go back into work for one day in September to do my final medical and hand my ID card in. Other than that it's just packing and waiting for the posting authority signal.

Guest Ady and David

I sent my Meds off before the End of June but Sydney sent Immi my results beginning of July - missed the deadline of the old Labour Agreement - By a couple of days to!! So I have to wait now for the new one to take effect. Enjoy your Leave Mate my TX date is 11th Aug.

Guest ponym110

Enlistment signal has arrived but i'm now going to Sydney which came as a bit of a shock. Still it means family can settle quicker as we won't be moving again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest touareg

Hi all

Been browsing this forum from afar and have picked up some excellent advice. Now think it's about time I started giving something back.

I'm joining the RAAF and planning to head down under in Jan 09 so, fortunately, time is still on our side. Initial application to transfer went in July 07 but, to be fair, any delays in the process have really been down to my reluctance to transfer until next year. Having said that, I can't wait until the day when I'm not waiting for an email from the RAAF or DIAC....! Sound familiar....????

I seem to be in the same situation as Ady and David, ie, submitted visa application back in June, only to be told that it was being held back until the new labour agreement is signed off. Particularly frustrating because my visa meds were cleared just 48 hours after the previous LA expired. Even worse is the fact that my family's meds were cleared in mid June (when the previous LA was still valid) but, for some unknown reason, mine was delayed.

Looking on the bright side, some of the guys posting on the british army forums are suggesting that the new LA has been signed. Anyone got any more news??

Touareg

Guest Ady and David

I heard the same 2 days ago - I also heard the RAN Officer is on leave this week as he hasn't replied to any of the emails people had sent him.

Fingers crossed, It's all go. I am looking at booking a holiday next week so hopefully have some news on my return.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Dave.:radar:

Hi all

Been browsing this forum from afar and have picked up some excellent advice. Now think it's about time I started giving something back.

I'm joining the RAAF and planning to head down under in Jan 09 so, fortunately, time is still on our side. Initial application to transfer went in July 07 but, to be fair, any delays in the process have really been down to my reluctance to transfer until next year. Having said that, I can't wait until the day when I'm not waiting for an email from the RAAF or DIAC....! Sound familiar....????

I seem to be in the same situation as Ady and David, ie, submitted visa application back in June, only to be told that it was being held back until the new labour agreement is signed off. Particularly frustrating because my visa meds were cleared just 48 hours after the previous LA expired. Even worse is the fact that my family's meds were cleared in mid June (when the previous LA was still valid) but, for some unknown reason, mine was delayed.

Looking on the bright side, some of the guys posting on the british army forums are suggesting that the new LA has been signed. Anyone got any more news??

Touareg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Dave,

How did the holiday go?

There's still an information black hole as far as the RAAF labour agreement is concerned....have you heard anything from the RAN side recently?

Touareg

• 1 month later...
Guest touareg

Hi All

Well, 14 months after my initial application to join the RAAF, and 5 months after lodging the visa application, this morning we finally received the long awaited email that our PR Visas have been approved. Today is a fantastic day in the Touareg house........Yeeee Haaaa! RAAF Base Richmond, here we come.....!!!:jiggy:

Hi touareg,

Well done on getting the Visa's granted. I am a few months behind you in the process and am just waiting for my med docs to be approved and then I can apply for the Visa. What trade are you? I am Avionics and myself and another called AlBlue on the forum hope to get to RAAF Wagga in June and July 2009 for some technical standardisation training, I cannot wait.

Let us know how you get on over the coming months,

Regards,

Glen.

Hi All

Well, 14 months after my initial application to join the RAAF, and 5 months after lodging the visa application, this morning we finally received the long awaited email that our PR Visas have been approved. Today is a fantastic day in the Touareg house........Yeeee Haaaa! RAAF Base Richmond, here we come.....!!!:jiggy:

Guest touareg
Hi touareg,

Well done on getting the Visa's granted. I am a few months behind you in the process and am just waiting for my med docs to be approved and then I can apply for the Visa. What trade are you? I am Avionics and myself and another called AlBlue on the forum hope to get to RAAF Wagga in June and July 2009 for some technical standardisation training, I cannot wait.

Regards,

Glen.

Hi Glen

Good luck on the meds. After that the fun really begins....! At least the LA is now sorted so you shouldn't have to wait too long for a decision from DIAC. I'm transferring as an engineering occifer. Just received my appointment signal and it now seems very real. Just to make things even more interesting, I'm currently serving overseas so need to pack and ship all my worldly possessions TWICE in the next few weeks. Yikes...! :wacko: If you need any info on the visa front, feel free to ask (PM if you like). I need to go to Wagga for an engineering course so, who knows, we may bump into each other.

Cheers

• 3 months later...
Hi touareg,

Regards,

Glen.

Hi Guys

Well thats me just PVR'd from the RAF Also Avionics(electrical) I have just sent off my application and i have been told it will be 6-8 weeks until i find out if I have been sucsessful!! then the next stage.

I have been told If I do get in I will go to Wagga for up to 6 months then a posting. My question is do you know where you are going Prior going to Wagga.

What next!!

Any info would be greatly appriecieted.

Also Am I mad - I am Avionics having completed 13 years - got a couple of young kids so wanted to make the move sooner rather than later!!

Hi mate,

I do not think you are mad, at least you have got past 12 so you will get your bonus, I am out 5 months before my 12 year point so get nothing at all. I thought it was worth it as the RAAF said that they might close the Avionics lateral transfer and I did not want to miss out.

No idea where I will be going after Wagga, my choice would be Amberley or Williamtown, to work on any of the large aircraft. I have VC10, F3, C17 and Merlin experience and they kind of suggested Hornets as a possibility, but I would prefer not to be all fast jet. As I am ex-electrical cross traded to Avionics, let me know if you have any questions. Get ready for a long time waiting while the process trundles on. I'm on resettlement today, so I'll give you a PM when I'm back at home tonight and tell you all about the process.

Good luck!

Glen.

Hi Guys

Well thats me just PVR'd from the RAF Also Avionics(electrical) I have just sent off my application and i have been told it will be 6-8 weeks until i find out if I have been sucsessful!! then the next stage.

I have been told If I do get in I will go to Wagga for up to 6 months then a posting. My question is do you know where you are going Prior going to Wagga.

What next!!

Also Am I mad - I am Avionics having completed 13 years - got a couple of young kids so wanted to make the move sooner rather than later!!

Guest touareg
Hi Guys

What next!!

Best of luck Mornachew

We arrived in Oz on 24th Jan and are having a fantastic time. Posted to RAF Richmond near Sydney and, as I type this, I'm sitting in our new home looking up at the Blue Mountains. We've a couple of young kids ourselves and they were the main reason for moving. As you've probably gathered by now, it's a long and frustrating process but well worth it in the end. Good luck with the application and don't hesitate to PM me if you need some advice. In the meantime, there's a great lateral recruitment forum running on the army rumour service - ARRSE. Loads of good info, despite the army bias. Do a google search if you haven't found it already.

Cheers

Touareg

Guest guest24485

Hi all, I initially made contact with the ADF (RAAF Lateral Recruitment Cell) in Feb 2008. I had my medical in December 2008 and received my visa in January 2009. I fly to Darwin in April 2009 with my family to join the RAAF. I think our process was quite quick and reasonably simple, mostly due to the excellent staff at the RAAF Lateral Recruitment Cell. I know it does vary with other peoples time line but I suppose I was just lucky. Good luck to all that are applying.

Steve

• 1 year later...
Guest nodrog72

Angie

Your cronilogical list of events is a great idea. I have yet to be offered a position but am confident one will be coming soon. I have friends who have also passed over to the RAN; with thier help your list will come in very handy as a guide and aid memoir, when I need it.

Thank you for your time in compiling it!!!

Gordon

Guest lararichie

Nodrog, sounds like your in the same boat as me, am avionics as well, 22yrs RAF done, was relying on the MODL points which dissapeared in Feb, am now doing the IELTS test and getting my wife assessed to regain the points needed, am also waiting upon tra assessment, registered 3/2/2010 am getting twitchy though 40th birthday in June and will lose another critical 5 points. Had alook at lateral transfer too, but RAAF closed for it transfer for now, have you had any success in this field yourself?

Archived