5weeks to go

Guest wheres wally

Guest wheres wally

This is the same as many posts on this thread. Me and my wife have been here for 3 and a half years, Perth. We have lived in 5 different properties tryin to find that place to settle. We have found none fit the bill. We have been travelling through oz and even the East coast just doesn't cut it. This is by NO MEANS a we hate Oz post, quite the contrary, we really enjoy it, we have better jobs over here meaning more money, chilled out life style, sunshine! There is just something missing.

The family and friends is the main issue, don’t get me wrong we have made many friends here in oz but the social difference is strangely different if you know what i mean.

Just because this is an English speaking country, we think that all that is wrong with the U.K will be better in Oz, WRONG.

Yes the sunshine and BBQ's are great but if you are like me and work outside all the time then the sun becomes your enemy, you hate it and love the AC and the shade. Even the aussies Love the shade! It really makes me feel stressed and if i come back to Oz then i will definitely looking for a job in an AC office. How many times can you go to the beach or the park and not get board?? Isolation, flight anywhere is expensive and culture is limited.

Now i said this was not a we hate Oz post and its not. Perth is by my reckoning is the most beautiful, clean and easy to access city in the world. We have travelled a lot through many countries and this is not a decision made lightly. To bring up children up here would be a great decision ( if you can cope with out the family help) .

We may come back to Oz one day but we will really have the knowledge that will make the decision the correct one.

I think people are always worried about failure and what people think. We have loved Oz and wouldn't have changed a minute of it, we have gain so much life experience and it even payed for our wedding

Do we feel scared, apprehensive about moving back to the U.K??? YES! But why?? Where going back to a country we know very well with people we love.

So why are we moving back??? Because we feel somewhere something is missing, this is just our opinion. Other people love it here and that is great but sometimes it just doesn't feel right.

I hope this makes other people feel a little better if they have similar feelings and i wish every one coming to Oz well and everyone leaving and long ang happy life.

Guest guest37336

Hi wheres wally.

A very balanced and objective post. Whilst I have often said in my posts that Australia for 'ME' is the 'better' place to live in the world I can appreciate exactly what you are trying to say. At no point in time have you gone out of your way to deride Australia, (Perth). You have been honest with yourselves and realised that at the moment Australia is not for you. It was never a mistake to try it, good for you. But you have hit the nail on the head when you say that 'something is missing', you may not be able to put your finger on it at the moment. But to some, Australia will always be missing something. You can only make a decision based on experience, and that is exactly what you have done here.

And by God are you right when you say that just because the Aussies speak the same language, (well nearly) it should feel familiar. If truth were known to the vast majority of newly arrived migrants Australia may as well be another planet. Some people can adapt very quickly, some take a little longer, and some will never view Australia as their 'home'. You too should be very apprehensive about coming back to the UK, wouldn't be natural if you didn't. But I will say this. That no matter what I say about Australia, (mostly good), I will NEVER knock the UK for no reason, or indeed those that return to this country. It still is one of the truly great countries in the world, just for some it isn't somewhere they want to stay in.

Whatever happens to you in the future I hope things work out for you, and good luck in the future.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi and i hope everything works out for you when you get back and missing family is the main reason why most come back and at least you have tried it. You made me laugh with your comment over going down to the beach, but we spend six months of the year stuck in the house because the weathers horrible, give me the boring beach in the sun anytime. All the reasons why you emigrated are still here in the uk, the run down areas, social and moral decline, anti-social behavior at pandemic levels, mass unemployment and did i mention the weather. At least you have tried it and i am certain that you will have got citizenship, it would be madness to return without it, because you are likely to want to return sometime, when you realise what you are missing. The pull of family is unquantifiable and until any of us get to Australia, then and only then will we know how deeply it effects us. Best of luck where ever you end up.

jim.

addition- i am more anti-uk than A380 and the uk is a great place to live compared to other places, but theres alot of problems here at present and it seems to be getting worse.

Guest guest37336

Hi Jim

I can see your point completely. That's why PIO is so good, we can all agree to disagree, for the most part with an objective and open mind.

Cheers 'Rushdie', that ones for you Jim.:biglaugh:

Guest John Locke
This is the same as many posts on this thread. Me and my wife have been here for 3 and a half years, Perth. We have lived in 5 different properties tryin to find that place to settle. We have found none fit the bill. We have been travelling through oz and even the East coast just doesn't cut it. This is by NO MEANS a we hate Oz post, quite the contrary, we really enjoy it, we have better jobs over here meaning more money, chilled out life style, sunshine! There is just something missing.

The family and friends is the main issue, don’t get me wrong we have made many friends here in oz but the social difference is strangely different if you know what i mean.

Just because this is an English speaking country, we think that all that is wrong with the U.K will be better in Oz, WRONG.

Yes the sunshine and BBQ's are great but if you are like me and work outside all the time then the sun becomes your enemy, you hate it and love the AC and the shade. Even the aussies Love the shade! It really makes me feel stressed and if i come back to Oz then i will definitely looking for a job in an AC office. How many times can you go to the beach or the park and not get board?? Isolation, flight anywhere is expensive and culture is limited.

Now i said this was not a we hate Oz post and its not. Perth is by my reckoning is the most beautiful, clean and easy to access city in the world. We have travelled a lot through many countries and this is not a decision made lightly. To bring up children up here would be a great decision ( if you can cope with out the family help) .

We may come back to Oz one day but we will really have the knowledge that will make the decision the correct one.

I think people are always worried about failure and what people think. We have loved Oz and wouldn't have changed a minute of it, we have gain so much life experience and it even payed for our wedding

Do we feel scared, apprehensive about moving back to the U.K??? YES! But why?? Where going back to a country we know very well with people we love.

So why are we moving back??? Because we feel somewhere something is missing, this is just our opinion. Other people love it here and that is great but sometimes it just doesn't feel right.

I hope this makes other people feel a little better if they have similar feelings and i wish every one coming to Oz well and everyone leaving and long ang happy life.

All, the best with your move back. I certainly agree with, and can relate, to what you`ve said....Been back in the U.K since the beginning of November (after 8 yrs in Oz). I`ve said this before, but having our children here amongst their family is what it`s all about for us now....regardless of the weather!!!!! Made me laugh also about the beach, as I can totally relate to that one...and that feeling of something missing, well, that`s harder to put into words, you just have to experience that one to know how that feels....don`t be too apprehensive...for me, personally, I think it was a case of our life in Oz looking so damn-near perfect on paper compared to life in the U.K. (the house, laid back lifestyle, very safe and convenient life) when, mentally, the reality was something different...and also found that whilst people in the U.K go on about the U.K`s problems, for me, certainly, it became a tad irrelavent when you simply want to come home to, as you say, a country you know well with people you love. Again all the best.

Hi WW, we are moving back to the UK in 5 weeks after 6 years and I have to agree with everypoint you have made, Australia has a lot to offer but it cant give you history with family and friends. Its took us years of battling with mixed emotions, moving into different suburbs trying to find something which we never could. Personally I cant wait to get back to being English again instead of whatching every word I say as the sense of humour here is very different and this does not help when making Aussie friends . Good luck to all in Australia trying to settle and all those who gave it a good go and now feel its time to return home.:biggrin:

Good luck with your move back to the UK, I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make.

Good, well balanced post BTW, at least you don't blame Australia and focus on all the negative things like many others do when they find it is not for them.

I hope you do find that "something" you're missing back in good old England and keep us updated how you're getting on.

Archived