The 1 Year Mark

gilliantay

Well, 1 year and a few weeks to be precise......how time flies when you are having fun !

Just thinking how quickly this year has passed and how much we have acheived since landing here a year ago.

We both work full time and live quite comfortably although didn't quite manage the mortgage free scenario.

Our son (15 now) has settled into the 'Ozzie' way....speaks with an aussie twang, wears 'thongs' permanantly (couldn't get his trainers off his feet at one stage although I still prefer the term flip flops to thongs) and he now wants to start playing cricket !!!, plays for the local soccer (football) team and travels up and down to Melbourne to watch 'The Victory'.

Our house build is in the final stages so life is good...................................so I thought.

I have just been hit by the biggest steamroller imaginable - right out of the blue - didn't even see it coming................

I suddenly have the deepest desire to go home...........now where did that come from ?

Answers on a postcard please.............................................

This feeling has taken over my life at the moment - I am cranky, tetchy, finding fault with everything and everyone, and in general, not a nice person to be around.

When I have my rational head on (which isn't very often at the moment) I just know that I would be back in Scotland for 2 weeks tops then wish I was back here again.

I worry that if I booked flights (for a short trip/holiday) I would not want to get on the plane to come back here again.

I worry that if I stay here much longer, I might end up in the throws of severe depression !!!!

I so want to shop in Tesco and Asda....Marks and Spencer..I want to be able to walk to the shops.......walk to the park........walk to work..........not be reliant on a car just to get a pint of milk !

I want the postman to put my mail through the letterbox... why do they not have letterboxes here ?

I want the nurses I work with to be more interested in caring for the patients as opposed to being more interested in blood and x-ray results.

I want to see green grass, hell, I just want to see the colour green.

Hopefully this feeling will pass as quickly as it came..........................

Is there anyone else out there who feels the same as me ?

Rant over..........just felt the need to get that off my chest................Thanks for reading..................:confused:

Gill

Guest guest30038

Hi Gill,

It's likely "outside factors" that are affecting you. You say that you know that 2 weeks in Scotland would have you back here, personally I would like 6 months before I came back.........Scotland is my true love.

Sounds like work (colleagues) are clouding your thoughts, as is the house build.........buuilding our own was the most stressful time of our lives when it really should have been seen as a realisation of our dreams. Work (cardio thoracic) was/is everything my wife could hope for but otoh a mate of hers who came out at a similar time, hated the ward she worked on..........in the same hospital even! Who you work with can have a huge bearing on broader aspects of your life so if I were you, I'd ask yourself if a move to another ward/discipline may benefit you and yours.

Other aspects such as green grass and letterboxes often seem important when the real issue lies somewhere else. I had all these thoughts when we first came here as I was a stay at home hubby and simply had too much time on my hands (even with two rug rats) to dwell on things that subsequently proved of little importance. Think about what you have, or may realise for yourself and your family, and think about why you came here, then do a pro and con. You may find that what occupied your mind to prompt you to post, may not seem all that important at all..........just a niggle, or a doubt, compounded by homesickness (perhaps), job (colleague) dissatisfaction, and worry about mortgage/building commitment.

Chin up chook, and good luck

kev

Well, 1 year and a few weeks to be precise......how time flies when you are having fun !

Just thinking how quickly this year has passed and how much we have acheived since landing here a year ago.

We both work full time and live quite comfortably although didn't quite manage the mortgage free scenario.

Our son (15 now) has settled into the 'Ozzie' way....speaks with an aussie twang, wears 'thongs' permanantly (couldn't get his trainers off his feet at one stage although I still prefer the term flip flops to thongs) and he now wants to start playing cricket !!!, plays for the local soccer (football) team and travels up and down to Melbourne to watch 'The Victory'.

Our house build is in the final stages so life is good...................................so I thought.

I have just been hit by the biggest steamroller imaginable - right out of the blue - didn't even see it coming................

I suddenly have the deepest desire to go home...........now where did that come from ?

Answers on a postcard please.............................................

This feeling has taken over my life at the moment - I am cranky, tetchy, finding fault with everything and everyone, and in general, not a nice person to be around.

When I have my rational head on (which isn't very often at the moment) I just know that I would be back in Scotland for 2 weeks tops then wish I was back here again.

I worry that if I booked flights (for a short trip/holiday) I would not want to get on the plane to come back here again.

I worry that if I stay here much longer, I might end up in the throws of severe depression !!!!

I so want to shop in Tesco and Asda....Marks and Spencer..I want to be able to walk to the shops.......walk to the park........walk to work..........not be reliant on a car just to get a pint of milk !

I want the postman to put my mail through the letterbox... why do they not have letterboxes here ?

I want the nurses I work with to be more interested in caring for the patients as opposed to being more interested in blood and x-ray results.

I want to see green grass, hell, I just want to see the colour green.

Hopefully this feeling will pass as quickly as it came..........................

Is there anyone else out there who feels the same as me ?

Rant over..........just felt the need to get that off my chest................Thanks for reading..................:confused:

Gill

Hi Gill,

Thanks for your thoughtful post.

I don't live in Oz (yet) but did spend a year their travelling/working.

I remember that there came a point around 9-10 months in when I too suddenly longed for the familiarity of the UK.

However, once I got back and saw the family and friends I'd missed, I realised that what I was longing for was in fact a version of the UK that only existed in my head.

Distance seemed to do this to my memories.

One positive I would take from your situation is that it's noticeable that you don't mention missing anyone back in Scotland.

Longing for all of the shops, experiences, views etc are easily dealt with by that little holiday home. Trying to put off a trip for fear that it may lead to something else might exacerbate your distress and lead to bigger problems in future.

I hope that you are able to make the right choice and that you find the happiness that you deserve.

Hi Gill,

It's likely "outside factors" that are affecting you. You say that you know that 2 weeks in Scotland would have you back here, personally I would like 6 months before I came back.........Scotland is my true love.

Sounds like work (colleagues) are clouding your thoughts, as is the house build.........buuilding our own was the most stressful time of our lives when it really should have been seen as a realisation of our dreams. Work (cardio thoracic) was/is everything my wife could hope for but otoh a mate of hers who came out at a similar time, hated the ward she worked on..........in the same hospital even! Who you work with can have a huge bearing on broader aspects of your life so if I were you, I'd ask yourself if a move to another ward/discipline may benefit you and yours.

Other aspects such as green grass and letterboxes often seem important when the real issue lies somewhere else. I had all these thoughts when we first came here as I was a stay at home hubby and simply had too much time on my hands (even with two rug rats) to dwell on things that subsequently proved of little importance. Think about what you have, or may realise for yourself and your family, and think about why you came here, then do a pro and con. You may find that what occupied your mind to prompt you to post, may not seem all that important at all..........just a niggle, or a doubt, compounded by homesickness (perhaps), job (colleague) dissatisfaction, and worry about mortgage/building commitment.

Chin up chook, and good luck

kev

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.........

Strange to say but I actually enjoy my work and have made some good friends in my new workmates....very multicultural ward...I don't forsee moving to any other speciality or to any other hospital. People will say it is because I travel to Melbourne every day for work - my 8.5 hr day is in fact nearly a 12 hr day but I am the first to say that it does not bother me at all and I actually look forward to the train journey both ways to read a book or listen to my IPod.............My Time.......

We have acheived so much in a short space of time but........that BUT always rears its ugly head............I feel so isolated at times which is strange as we already had family here when we arrived. We have never really experienced true loneliness .........Maybe that is the problem....it has been rather too easy for us !!!

Day off today so going to write down my pros and cons and see what I come up with

Gill

Hi Gill,

Thanks for your thoughtful post.

I don't live in Oz (yet) but did spend a year their travelling/working.

I remember that there came a point around 9-10 months in when I too suddenly longed for the familiarity of the UK.

However, once I got back and saw the family and friends I'd missed, I realised that what I was longing for was in fact a version of the UK that only existed in my head.

Distance seemed to do this to my memories.

One positive I would take from your situation is that it's noticeable that you don't mention missing anyone back in Scotland.

Longing for all of the shops, experiences, views etc are easily dealt with by that little holiday home. Trying to put off a trip for fear that it may lead to something else might exacerbate your distress and lead to bigger problems in future.

I hope that you are able to make the right choice and that you find the happiness that you deserve.

Just reading your post and have decided that I am a 'bad' mother..............I actually have 3 kids (they are adults) who are still in Scotland and not once did I actually mention that I missed them !!!!!!!!

Of course I miss them, that goes without saying. I think they would be delighted if I said I was returning as they have no plans to come over here even for a holiday.

I think I have a lot of soul searching to do

Thanks

Gill

Hi Gill,

I hope that you can get this sorted out. Its a shame, when you have achieved so much in Aus.

Perhaps a trip home will do you good, put any fears to rest, or make you realise that you do actually want to come back.

I know a few people who have come back from Aus, and the reality of home very rarely lived up to the longing in the heart, and they have all ended up going back to Australia.

Try speaking to your hubby, and your son, and see if they feel the same. if you dont want to upset the apple cart at home, speak to some friends about it. it may not seem so scary once you have voiced your concerns,

I really hope that you can work things out over there.

Donna

x

Archived