15 year old moving to melbourne, please read and help..

Guest Jesslester

Guest Jesslester

Hi, my names jess and im 15 years old, currently living in the UK.

My parents have had this dream for ages to move to australia and my step dad has just got offered a job, but they want him in May.

I think it would be a great experience and i really would love it, i know that.

But i really have so so much to lose here :(

I have a big family and lots of friends and guy im seeing.

I really don't want to go in may, and am worried about schools and stuff.

If anyone could give me some advice on what to do,

what its like if anyone has moved their previously, been in my shoes or something.

I would really really appreciate it, and would love someone to talk to who's living in Melbourne.

Love Jess xx

:frown: :sad: :swoon:

Guest sabretiger

hey you .. we just got here november 09 from barry island near cardiff got a 15 year old daughter with us . left 2 grown ups in u..k

we are living the dream hun its really fab so far. we have all been homesick and it takes time but my daughter is trying it out . if she dont like it she leaving when she 18 ..this will upset me but she has to do what she wants. so far she has started to settle and we getting there. look up on google where we are .

minogue crescent, hoppers crossing melbourne .. are u going to be close to us so we can help u with your journey hun ... i know my daughter could do with a friend tto . let me know. jean xx

email sabretiger64[at]hotmail[dot]com if better for you to reply

Guest Jesslester

hey, ah thats nice to know someones read and replied to this:)

how is she coping with it over there? was she really reluctant to go before?

i will look up where you are when we know where abouts we will be going, but at the moment we arent sure..

i would really appriciate someone out there to talk to and stuff who was in the same position as me so thankyou x

Guest sabretiger

yes she has been a nightmare .lol she settling slowly starts school for first time on monday 1st feb. she hates me lol we left a bro and sis for her in u.k. they older 23 and 24.

chin up hun it really is a fab place keep in touch u just might have a friend out here already.. her name is paige and i am jean ... email me and i will give u info for her for u to both keep in touch if u want to. tell your parents to come this side we will help if they need it .. especially when u get here its tough to start... let mum know we will give as much info as we can .. take care look forward to hearing from u via email its safer hun xx

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oscarblaik

hi there,

I too am moving out with a 15 year old daughter, Aimee, she too feels that she is going to miss so much in the UK, including her prom, we are coming out in march!

we visited in october 2008 and she is looking at the positives (surf boys mostly!!!) and the new experiences she will have, however is a tad worried about making friends. I have an 8 year old too and i think she is a bit bothered about having to only hang out with her. we are going to werribee area and I know she will appreciate any contact

thanks

vanessa

Guest mtcosby

Hi Jess

My name is Tracey and I have a 16 year old son and 11 year daughter, we moved out here a year ago this month and it has had its ups and dwons.. here goes...

My son Joe had a girlfriend in the Uk and for the last month or so before leaving was awful for them, the night they said goodbye will haunt me forever... the dads had to split them up as they wouldnt let go of each other and we all cried that night.. me and joe cried the whole journey here .. me coz I was going to miss my family and best friends but also at what I was putting joe through, and joe cried because of his friends and family but the biggest thing his girlfriend.

To be honnest it was very hard for the both of us when we first got here, my daughter settled straight away, hubby had a job and I sat at home for weeks with no friends and no work... and joe hated everything and I mean everything .. it broke my heart. But after about 6 weeks he vengtered out of his bedroom started talking about school life and the friends he had made. He even started talking to his mates from UK again (he just shut himself up from everyone, it was his way of dealing with his feelings) BUT in all of this time weve been open about talking and let him come round on his own..... I also got a full time job.

Time is a great healer but you have to make the effort in finding a new life here, weve made some very good friends here and so far we are ok..... we despertely miss the UK not really the place just who weve left behind, my son is now good friends with his ex in UK they talk regularly.. he is looking forward to being able to learn to drive and very slowly I think he is liking it here. Im lucky in the way that joe said he would try his best to fit in and get on with it, I know of a friend here that her son refused to stay and got his grandparents to take him back to the UK now my friend is soo distraught she doesnt know what to do.

We have a better quality of life here and it puts a smile on my face when im typing this but .. we went to a party a week ago and joe actually said he had a really good time....

We are saving up like mad now to have a home.. we are renting at the moment and i personally feel my family will settle in better once we have our own home ...their own bedrooms where they can put up pictures of .. man u (son) cute kittens (daughter) hahahhah

Not sure what your like but my son is very shy and im soo proud of him and the effort he is putting in.....

We live in Western Australia, sorry too far away from you but if you ever need to talk or ask questions.. no matter how silly they are (as to you they will be important) please contact me....

I think you will be ok and fit in as straight away ..from reading your message you sound postive, but remember it is normal to have all these feelings .. i still have them now!!!

Take care and let us all know how you get on

Tracey xxxx

Hi ,

My name is ciara , and i'm 11 .

I am moving to OZ in July . At the moment i am doing practise SATS ready fotr the real ones in March . I know it's tough , thinking about going to OZ and leaving friends and family behind , but they could vist and have holidays with you , and you could be penpals . There is lots of ways you can keep in touch . Plus you'll make lots of friends in Oz too . They'll love our english acsent .:hug: Think about all the bright sides , instead of thinking of all the bad sides . Try researching OZ it might change your moods . It works for my mum .:biglaugh:

Hope i helped ,

Ciara x

Guest nutamy96

hey i am 13 coming on 14 in may and my mum and her boyfriend really want to go over and they have had job intervews over web cam i really doint want to go but be posotive and keep your chin up we will both make new friends

if you want to chat write bk and add nutamy96@hotmail.com

xx ly fro m amy

Hi Jess,

I have 2 daughters, one is 16 and the other is 11.

The 16 year old was devistated when we got the visa, we were ruining her life and she didn't want to come. She cried and cried and i felt awful for taking her away from everything she knew and our families. She mutually split with her boyfriend before we came and hated us for coming. She had just finished her GCSE's before we set off and did not want to return to school here until she was 18; but this was the only way she could make friends.

She is happy, has lots of friends both Aussie and some who came from the UK; she is off down the beach or in friends pools or at parties most weekends. The kids here are very welcoming and they have really helped her settle.

We moved in September 09 and its like we have always been here. If you need to know anything or just want a chat we will all listen :yes:We are in Mount Martha, Vic . Where are you moving to?

Good luck with everything and i hope it all works out for you xxx

Guest Calliope

I have a 15 year old son and I brought him back to Australia when he was 14. his situation was bit different from yours because he had lived here before. But he had made a lot of friends in London and was very sad to say goodbye.

It took him a little while to settle in but now he's been back for 18 months he has a lot of friends here as well. He still keeps in contact with his London friends via Facebook and they are jealous of his lifestyle here! Especially the weather. But he is glad to be in Australia.

Moving is difficult at every age but you will probably have a great life here. In my experience Australian schools are a lot more peaceful than UK ones and there seems to be less bullying too. I hope you make new friends and enjoy your new life.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest harrisoncfc

hi, i am 14 and my name is Harrison.

My parents want to go out there too!

I dont want to tho!

they applied in 2008 and then in the middle of 2009 they sort of stopped talking about it but now they are after oz again!!!

i realy dont want to go tho! =(

sorry to hear that you are the same!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kate Edwards

Hi Jess,

I know this is a late reply and you have lots of advice already.... do you know yet where you are moving to (area?) and when? We live in mount martha and have been here 1.5 yrs and love it, with a 6 and 3 yr old....the reason i respond my nephew is 15 and flies out next week with his parents. He too was apprehensive as it is a difficult age however he came over at christmas for a holiday and is very very excited about coming back. He will be starting school after the summer holidays. My sister has been lucky as she has had me here to research for her, from what he is good at in school now etc I was able to point out schools that ran similar curriculm. They are visiting 2 over the easter hols so he can start in term 2. As other posts more than happy to help you and your parents if you are coming down this way - my nephew made 4 great friends here at christmas and was only here 3 weeks - we never saw him, always off and about!! So I am sure it will be the same for you - I thin getting a good school is half the battle. Let me know where you are heading to and if our area you are more than welcome to come visit my nephew and his mates ( 2 of which are teenage girls...don't worry.......) Good Luck K xx

• 2 months later...
Guest Dee142

Hyya my names Deonne and im 15 too. I'm not moving as soon as you but i m in the same situation. My mums been offered a job i'm excited but i dnt want too leave. I have all my friends and family here plus my boyfriend. You said that theres soo much too lose here and i agree with that but my mum always says to me that it will be a new experience and theres alot more too gain.

I know this might not help but i would really like someone to talk to who is going through the same thing as me so please reply back or pm me :) x x

• 5 months later...
Guest Liam Foz

(15 year old guy)

Hey i know this message is like a year old and idk if your even in Melbourne at the moment, but i've lived hear my whole life and know lots of people who have moved here, so if you want a friend or someone to just show you around Melbourne :cute:

Guest Guest31881

We would like to remind our younger members to use PM's to contact each other on PIO, and to make sure the person you are talking to is genuine. We recommend that you inform your parents about any contacts, and if you have any concerns, or would like further information please contact a mod or admin. This can be done quickly by clicking on the report button for a posting.

Remember sometimes we know the posters, other times they are complete strangers, if in doubt please ask for advice.

• 3 months later...
Guest jane and chris

Hi my name is Leah (14) i too am living in the uk however my parents and me will be moving to Adelaide in a few months time.So i am in the same position as you .Have you found a school yet or somewhere to live.We are just looking at the moment.Hope we can write to eachother .It would be nice to hear from you.

• 2 months later...
Guest AlexCurtains

Hello Jess, my names Alex and I'm a 15 year old guy. I'm moving to either melbourne or townsville around june, would like to talk to you and get to know you and also learn about life in australia, hope you message me back :biggrin:

Archived