ETA visa validity?

Guest gadgetman

Guest gadgetman

Hi,

My son is about to come and visit us in Melbourne and does not have a residents visa. He also came out last April and wasn't aware of tourist visa requirements so had to get one from the airline (at the airport and at extra cost) after being turned away at check in.

I am assuming this will have been an ETA. The ETA site says these last for 12 months so I am assuming he won't need to apply for another one now. Can anyone confirm this? As it wasn't issued electronically the site says there's no way to check current status.

Also how is the information about him having a valid visa actually picked up as I don't think they stamped anything in his passport - is it linked to his passport number or picked up some other way?

Now I've just found info about an evisitor visa and am even more confused! Presumably whatever it was he was given by airline would last 12 months so he should be okay?

How long is your son planning to visit? Will the previous visa run out in the period that he is staying? If he already has a visa, it is still electronically linked to his passport.

If he re-applies for a new visitors visa, it will automatically cancel the previous one and he can stay for up to 12 months on the new one (this is what I have always been led to believe anyway)

Hope this helps.

Guest gadgetman

He is coming for a month and will not exceed 12 months since he last came (last April).

The problem I have is that I don't know exactly what it was he got from the airline last April and what the validity is. Everything I've seen so far lasts at least 12 months though.

Archived