Sydney or Melbourne??

Guest irishhoney

Guest irishhoney

Hi all

I need some advice. I arrived in Sydney on my own on a years working visa from London about 3 wks ago & whilst its been fun I just think its much more expensive than I had remembered the last time I was here (suppose I was travelling then). What I remember of Melbourne, it was really buzzy with lots of little cafes & is much more sociable than Sydney, tho I really dont want to go there if its just as expensive to live & its not v traveller friendly?! Is rent cheaper there? And also what do fellow backpackers like me think, is it better/cheaper to work/live in than Sydney? Sydney is g8 but seems a bit inpersonal - anyone else agree?

Let me know!

Tks,

Lucinda :-)

Guest Marylou

Just thought I'd point out that there are other cities besides Sydney/Melbourne. I would imagine Perth, Adelaide or Brisbane would all be cheaper -in fact I believe Sydney is the most expensive City in Oz.

I have lived in Melb most of my life and I wouldn't dream of living in Sydney - great for a visit, fantastic but that's all! People here are more friendly, more intelligent and less driven by materialism.. But I am biased, I'll admit!! As regards Adelaide- it is a lovely city but too small to live all the time. It is certainly a lot cheaper though but less jobs. Same applies to Hobart- gorgeous place but very small and not a lot of work. Queensland is very tourist orientated and ok if you like the hot weather all the time. It can be a bit unfriendly at first, however.

Archived