Finding a rental - your advice please!!!!!

ozzbound

HOW DID YOU GET YOURS?????

Please help us!!

I am desperately looking for a rental around Mornington/Mount Martha, Vic. We are a family of 4 staying with my dad but don't want to outstay our welcome.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to get one???

Any tricks up sleeves....:biglaugh:

Any ideas, advice or stories would be great to read.

Thankyou :wubclub:

Hi we paid more than we wanted to and accepted a shorter lease so we will be moving again in 7 months! Other people on here have paid up to 6 months advanced rent. We also gave an email address for our rental agency in UK which the owner wanted following up. However we were told the rental market should be picking up for Dec/Jan time. You are looking of course on Domain and have signed up for realestate.com.au alerts? We have also been told to give our requirements to local estate agents and keep ringing up. We are not looking forward to getting back into it ourselves. Good luck!

Hi Ozbound,

We arrived in Brisbane on 27th October. Rented service apartment for 2 weeks. Was told it would be difficult finding long term rental. On 28th October bought Courier Mail, saw 4 bed/air con house with pool in Westlake $410 per week rent. Rang the owner up, went to view on 29th. Loved the house, he liked us, did not ask for any refs, job done, 12 month rental. I know we were lucky but it is worth looking in local papers for rentals.

Monica x

Gumtree can be a good place to look too. We managed to find a place to rent within a few days of arriving here. We paid six months rent up front and wrote a letter to the landlady after we'd viewed the property, saying how much we liked it. We also enclosed a photograph of ourselves so she could remember who we were from all the people who were interested. That made us stand out and that, along with the lump sum of money of course, clinched it for us!

Find house rental, unit and apartment rental opportunities in Melbourne - Gumtree Free Classifieds - 1

Good Luck!

Cheers you guys for the replies.

I have 2 applications pending - i will probably find out on monday. One is a unit and the other is a townhouse. Viewed 3 more today. This is a full time job!!!

I have offered 6 months upfront to 3 of them and only one told me it is 'not the done thing' and 'should not be accepted'.

Fingers crossed I get one :dull:

Guest juliemtaylor

Hope you get one soon, we will be in the same boat next year as we are coming to Mornington in Feb.. Keep in touch.

Julie x

Hope you get one soon, we will be in the same boat next year as we are coming to Mornington in Feb.. Keep in touch.

Julie x

Hi Julie,

I looked an another this morning it was lovely. They have open days where loads of you all look around the property and then apply but today i was the only one there!

It is dog eat dog especially near schools as i want to be near my youngest daughters school as she will be in grade 6 next and could walk to and from school whilst i am driving home from work and would arrive 5 minutes behind her.

If i get the first property(i applied on thursday) i have some tips so definately keep in touch and I'll tell you my secrets nearer the time!!!!:wink:

x

Guest The Pom Queen

Unfortunately the rental vacancies are tight in Melbourne at the moment and we have had families searching for 8 - 10 weeks. It does depend on the area you want to settle and what your budget is.

An Ozzy reference works well as well as offering rent up front, legally they cannot ask for it, but there are a lot of agents who accept it.

It also helps to have the rental application form completed before you go as well as a copy of your bank balance, a covering letter explaining that you have just arrived in the country, copy of your passport and visa and if you have a job offer a copy of this. Once you have attended the OFI if you like the property hand all this information in there and then, they like people to be organised.

Good luck

Kate

Julie x

If you have a guaranteed job your employer will give you a reference for a rental, we have moved x2 first time just me employer reference swung it, this time in July put other half on application first as he earns x2 as much as me rang us the same day I have not had a problem getting a house to rent xx GL

Just been refused the one i wanted :cry:

They chose someone else on friday and left me all weekend until i rang today to find out what was going on!

I have 3 others in the pipeline under application and i am praying to the landlord gods to accept me.... I am such a nice tidy person who would care for their houses.

Fingers and toes crossed this time! Should know about all of them by wednesday

x

Just been refused the one i wanted :cry:

They chose someone else on friday and left me all weekend until i rang today to find out what was going on!

I have 3 others in the pipeline under application and i am praying to the landlord gods to accept me.... I am such a nice tidy person who would care for their houses.

Fingers and toes crossed this time! Should know about all of them by wednesday

x

Everything crossed for you hon x

Everything crossed for you hon x

Thankyou:wubclub:

The one i viewed on friday said 'first come; first served' so i ran around frantically photocopying everything and had it in the office by 1pm.

Yesterday i phoned for an update and was told that 'We would 100% know by the end of today'......

Today i am still waiting!!!!

There are still 3 in the pipeline with the slowest rental agents ever. The landlords must loose out on god knows how many weeks rent whilst they work at a snails pace.....

Back to the waiting game again!!:arghh:

We got one!!!!!!

Fantastic real estate lady called Kylie kept me updated all the time. She phoned 3 times yesterday and the 3rd time was to say we'd got it. Going paying the bond today and collect the keys early next week for a rush move before christmas. I am soooo happy!!!!

Cheers guys xxxxx

Look in Realestate.com http: //www.realestate.com.au/ on line

and search term Mornington or Mount Martha and include surrounding suburbs) there are some really cheap ones in the "comission" area of Mornington (thats the council housing ) but they are ok, lots have been bought privately, and statistically it's pretty safe. And minutes to the beach!

yes, local papers are also good, here's the real estate section from the morington paper.

Leader Community ePaper. You may have a hard time renting directly off the land lord- it's not done as much here. also all the houses are unfurnished (99%)-try the Trading Post for cheap furniture and clearances. I had a place but I already rented it out! Aaagghh :)

also try gumtree melbourne (google it)

Guest itskaren
HOW DID YOU GET YOURS?????

Please help us!!

I am desperately looking for a rental around Mornington/Mount Martha, Vic. We are a family of 4 staying with my dad but don't want to outstay our welcome.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to get one???

Any tricks up sleeves....:biglaugh:

Any ideas, advice or stories would be great to read.

Thankyou :wubclub:

We lived in Mt Martha for 6 weeks when we first come to Oz (2 years ago). We had a shark of a landlady who did us out of thousands!! A professional head of a local private school!!!! Say no more .. It was a house and landlady from hell ...

Just be careful!

Look in Realestate.com http: //www.realestate.com.au/ on line

and search term Mornington or Mount Martha and include surrounding suburbs) there are some really cheap ones in the "comission" area of Mornington (thats the council housing ) but they are ok, lots have been bought privately, and statistically it's pretty safe. And minutes to the beach!

I went on realestate 3 times a day incase an agent loaded rentals at different times of the day. I wanted one near the primary school my daughter goes to as we are building around the corner from it and would save moving her back and forth. The one i got is a distance from the school but it was so hard to get one or to get anyone to ring me back as the rental agents are 'always' out of the office!!!!

yes, local papers are also good, here's the real estate section from the morington paper.

Leader Community ePaper. You may have a hard time renting directly off the land lord- it's not done as much here. also all the houses are unfurnished (99%)-try the Trading Post for cheap furniture and clearances. I had a place but I already rented it out! Aaagghh :)

also try gumtree melbourne (google it)

Yes, i was on to it all, it became a full time job doing papers, internet and driving around! But it paid off in the end :wub:

We are building in Mt Martha and youngest daughter is at local school and didn't want to move her again after 2 months of starting. I'm starting work at a school in Seaford in January so i needed her to be able to get home from school whilst i was driving home if you get what i mean. She's a grade 6 when she returns :)

hurray!! where is it? and how much and did you have to offer a large amount up front??

Julie x

Hi Julie,

Its in Mount Martha its a 3 bedroomed unit/townhouse. The tenants had a cat when i viewed the property and there was a cat flap in the sliding doors to outside.

Its $1477 (a months rent) for the bond and a months rent up front.

I had offered to pay the 6 months upfront with 2 agents who just accepted what i had said but this agent said its illegal to do that!! oops!

Get the keys 9am Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest juliemtaylor

well we have just sorted our accommodation for 25th Feb in Mornington so will look forward to meeting you soon..

Julie x

Archived