Canberra

Guest kellyin canberra

Guest wardy

Dont mean to be rude Kelly but is your mission on here to put everyone off moving to oz.... you have so much negativity in nearly all your posts

Ps its not working :P

Kaye

Guest kellyin canberra

no thats not my intention but it's not as perfect as you would all hope..Given to decision to do it all over I would, but I really do miss england. I never thought I would. The sun is no replacement for fun times with family and friends and going to nice pubs and good shopping.. Would be interested in your views once you have been here a year.. Most of our couple friends have gone back because the wifes or girlfriends just want to go home. Sorry Im not all sweetness and light but it's best to have both sides of the coin. I never knew about this website when we was deciding to emigrate and I feel it would have been useful to me. I couldnt put anyone off because I know from first hand the will and determination and excitment you will all have for the move..and all expat experiences are different

And my comments about Canberra are true, it's the armpit of Oz!

Guest nev_n_angie
no thats not my intention but it's not as perfect as you would all hope..Given to decision to do it all over I would, but I really do miss england. I never thought I would. The sun is no replacement for fun times with family and friends and going to nice pubs and good shopping.. Would be interested in your views once you have been here a year.. Most of our couple friends have gone back because the wifes or girlfriends just want to go home. Sorry Im not all sweetness and light but it's best to have both sides of the coin. I never knew about this website when we was deciding to emigrate and I feel it would have been useful to me. I couldnt put anyone off because I know from first hand the will and determination and excitment you will all have for the move..and all expat experiences are different

And my comments about Canberra are true, it's the armpit of Oz!

Can't wait! Moving there 3rd September!

Great!

Where in Canberra are you?? We've got House in Gungahlin that's just been reserved - I don't think I've got the rose coloured glasses about any of it - I just think that wherever my Hubbie and Kids are is Home! The Country or House is irrelevant to me. Mind you, I am an Armed Forces Wife!

Guest kellyin canberra

It's just pretty boring. You would expect more from the nations capital. The only real sites are the government house,national museum and art gallery. The scenery around canberra is nice but not spectacular. Its just a small town and has all the character of Milton Keanes (probably miss spelt!) Most people that have moved directly to Canberra from the uk are absolutley fine with it but if you have come from such a happening place as Sydney,the beach lifstyle ect,ect then it's a shocker! Its cold and I am waiting for the summer,when it's blazing hot and extremely dry (thats the good bit) People drive like maniacs here and have no consideration for other drivers. I thought Syd was bad enough. Dont want to keep whinning about it, makes me more depressed. If you have a family and are making the move to oz, then Canberra as a first place to land it fine and Im sure it would suit. It's such a contrast from england and it will be an adventure for anyone even if it is a dull place,"for australia"

I have only been to Brisbane although hubby has travelled australia wide ,,what baffles me is,, why live their kelly if its so crap??????? Canberra is renowned for being a ghost town at nights due to the amount of buisness there ,many locals i speak to here like you dog the place ,2 of which moved from canberra,both ,like you say its not the place to be.The one im struggling to comprehend is lonely people,,we have been here 7 mth ,have met too many people to keep up with,made some good trustworthy friends but more than anything we laugh and are enjoying life.People will chat if you chat to them ,,our accents are a great conversation starter,especially being a northern lass.As for drivers ,they are crap Australia wide ,,thats one of the first things you pick up on.Ive seen more accidents here than in the uk and we have half the uk's population !!But you know what, when you are loving your new life as much as our family is ,you get over the bad bits very easyily,Oz is what you make it ,sit and mope and youll be sad ,get out there and have fun and your smile will stay !

Cal x

Guest kellyin canberra

I agree with what your saying but We moved to Canberra becasue both of us work in a specific science area and the Australian National Uni is where its at. So no choice for the moment. It's not going to be forever. I am not mopping,just venting a little. Canberra is not what I thought and I cant say it's great if it's not..sorry. Of course we have gotten to no people and life could be alot harder. Sydney was great and there isnt many places to top it. It made being far from Lincoln (UK) easier because there was so much to do,beach etc. 6 years in oz now and the little things that annoyed us abit at first, now get right on our tits! it's only natural.

• 2 years later...

Wow, I lived in Lincoln for 4 years and it wasn't exactly a hip an dhappenign palce, infact 3 of my pals there committed suicide. Grim.

However, if the only way in to Oz is Canberra for us then we are going with excitement and will most definitely make the most of it. Whatever way you look at it we are lucky to have the opportunity. I hope it gets better for you and I hope we get there soon. And, we wont be coming back the UK.

Merry Christmas!!

, if the only way in to Oz is Canberra for us then we are going with excitement and will most definitely make the most of it. Whatever way you look at it we are lucky to have the opportunity. I hope it gets better for you and I hope we get there soon. And, we wont be coming back the UK.

Merry Christmas!!

Lots of luck with the move, although with an attitude like you have i am sure you won't need it,, lol,,

Cal x

Archived