WA SS - any way to check progress? (also now charging!)

Gothnet

So I applied for WA SS back on the 30th of august, and the 3 months minimum wait is up at the end of this month.

I don't expect to hear back from them the very next day, but does anyone know if they're ok with you checking progress if you haven't heard anything, say, a month later?

Also, just went to the www.migration.wa.gov.au skilled migration page, and it looks like they've started charging $220 for new SSV applicants now!

One last thing, anyone got any currency predictions for Sterling vs. AUD next year?

I'm really starting to worry because my savings have already dropped almost a third of their value compared to this time last year. I had hoped to be reasonably well off (enough to take a few months off and travel around AUS after the move) but that's not looking as likely now. Are there taxes on moving money if you don't do it as sson as you get the visa?

This is so starting to drag now.... I've been at it for a year... must try to remain patient...:dull:

Guest mikewheble

Hi Gothnet

I like you am awaiting WA sponsorship. I also applied on 13th August of this year. I was originally told that it would take three months however, I emailed a couple of weeks ago and I was told in response that it now takes 4 months and so I should expect a response mid to end of December! This is a real problem for me as I turn 45 on 7th January 2010.

I have taken a precautionary measure and applied to South Australia for sponsorship on 4th September and received a positive response on 29th October.

Ideally, I wanted to go to WA as we have friends there however, because timescales are getting tight, I have today submitted my visa application and so I'm underway. I have had my skills recognised by Australian Institute of Management and have 110 points which is 10 more than required for my 475 visa.

Regarding your question over money coming into Oz...I read somewhere that there is a six month timescale after which you'll have to pay a higher rate of tax. I suspect there are better informed people on this board that can enlighten us both.

Also, regarding the exchange rate, if I had migrated in August, I would have an extra $220,000 to bring in to Oz. This is beginning to hurt! I suspect that the rate will stabilise and am hoping for an exchange rate to return to somewhere around $2 to £1...hopefully.

Good luck with your process and just sit tight.

Regards

Mike

Hi Gothnet

I like you am awaiting WA sponsorship. I also applied on 13th August of this year.

My birthday!

:biggrin:

I haven't got the same time constraints as you, just slowly running out of patience!

I got my ACS assessment back in July, applied for a 175 under CSL in early august and then WA SS in late august just to see if I could speed it up a bit. Bah. As ever, with this and with the exchange rate I guess it's just a case of wait and see.

I knew I should have dumped my savings into a meagre amount of gold last year...

Guest mikewheble

I know, painfull isnt it.

The whole process is just a waiting game...I dont think there is anything that we can do to speed it up?

I have tried to do the right thing and follow process ie got my skill assesment prior to trying to get sponsorship from a state prior to logging my visa...just wish I knew of a short cut.

Good lick with the process.

Regards

Mike

Guest mikewheble

Hi Gothnet

Isnt it just typical...finally took the plunge this morning and applied for my 475 visa with SA sponsorship. One hour later WA letter came saying that they will sponsor me...YAY...I'm so chuffed. The only problem is that now, I'll have to change my visa application as its Perth for us.

YAY...think I'll have a nice cup of Earl Grey to celebrate

Hope you get yours soon

Regards

Mike

Guest mikewheble

Hi Littlem

My occupation is as a Sales & Marketing Manager. The hardest part was getting Australian Institute of Management to agree my skills, but I managed it. As you will know, my skill set isnt on the wanted list and so wasnt holding out much hope of getting SS so I also applied to SA Gov which came back really quickly.

I ideally want to get to Perth and (also) ideally wanted to go off list however, there wasnt an option on the online docs. I think they must just look at other factors.

One criteria that they have stipulated in my letter is $x amount which shouldnt be an issue.

What about yourselves, what's your occupation?

Regards

Mike

Guest mikewheble

Sorry, didnt answer all of the question, no I wont have to pay as I submitted my application for SS just before WA brought the new rule in. As regards changing from SA to WA, no, I wont have to pay as it is still a 475 visa

Regards

Mike

Hi we are going under Project and Program Administrator, only description that suits my OH occupation credit/opps manager off list nomination, we have applied for 176ss but the rules on this have just changed to say that you must be onshore, so we are hoping that they will offer us 475. We like you want perth so fingers crossed its good news that you have received a yes on a 475. Lets just hope you get there before 2012.

Keep us posted

Guest mikewheble

Hi,

Its funny but the process seems so complex however, as the old saying goes, where there's a will etc. I have done the whole process myself as I used an agent about 5 years ago and after paying my initial deposit, they went bump!!

Glad your OH found a title that suits and hope everything goes well for you.

Ideally planning to get out late next year however I have seen so many posts about 2012 its not funny :-(

Good luck and speak soon

Regards

Mike

Hi we are going under Project and Program Administrator, only description that suits my OH occupation credit/opps manager off list nomination, we have applied for 176ss but the rules on this have just changed to say that you must be onshore, so we are hoping that they will offer us 475. We like you want perth so fingers crossed its good news that you have received a yes on a 475. Lets just hope you get there before 2012.

Which rules have just changed?

:eek:

I applied for 175 (CSL) back in august and was hoping to change to 176 SS to speed things up a bit. Is this no longer possible for offshore applicants?

Archived