Apprenticeships, Studying

Guest sandra

Guest sandra

Hi All

I posted a thread yesterday on the migration page regarding the fact that i had discovered for a 136 visa my work experience as a baker-2 years with 2 years studying gaining n.v.q 1 and 2. N.c.f.e foundation,intermediate and advanced in bakery and patisserie N.c.f.e in pastry and confectionary and A.b.c in pastry and patisserie.was not long enough Do any of you well informed people know if i could apply for a visa for an apprenticeship to further my qualifications or a student visa and would you have to be a school leaver for this.Im a bit more mature than that [about 23 years to be precise ] :cry: I have a oh and two children 10 and 2 so would need to bring all with me. Im trying all avenues ay the moment because i only have 2 years work experience Any info would be most welcome Thanks in advance Sandra:chatterbox:

You certainly can, and with advanced standing from previous study and experience, Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), you could transfer into a programme e.g. patisserie (Hosp Management)...but they fill quickly.

The student visa grants part time work rights and full time during vacations.

Without seeing your quals and CV, you could possibly transfer into VET/TAFE Diploma and/or Bachelor Degree (including e.g. Patisserie), with one year paid internship included (couple of Melbourne options for this).

Guest Rachel&Stu

Hiya Sandra:spinny:

PM waiting for you. As I said in it, the STNI eligibility list for Victoria categorically states that a 'baker' is in statewide demand. Please PM the agents I suggested.

Good luck,

Rachel:spinny:

Guest sandra

Thanks Guys.

Andrew i was just going to pm you as Rachel suggested .Thanks for the information it would be nice to know there is an avenue open to me. It certainly looks as though any other visa is out of the question but i wont give up and when i have my own chain of bakeries over there it'll be free bread for everyone thats been so helpfull Oh what the hell i'll even throw in an iced bun . I can just see the queue now :laugh: Thanks again let you know how i get on Sandra

• 1 month later...

You are aware that changes are happening regarding General Skilled Migration programme for students who have studied a two year award course, and the Education Services for Overseas Students Act., also. Most significant changes are:

• Skilled Graduate visa of up to 18 months to allow improvement of English, participate in professional year and/or gain 12 months work experience in closely related skilled occupation.
  • Student visa holders can change provider after 6 months.
  • Rather than focus upon 80% minimum attendance satisfactory performance is now based upon academic progress. Institutions are no longer obliged to report student attendance but can enforce their own policy.

Several universities in Melbourne have industry based learning or professional years within Bachelor degrees. Although this experience may not be relevant as it is pre qualification, the same employers would probably employ candidates part time and full time again after graduation, or at minimum experience will make job seeking easier.

Further, many trades based courses are coming onto CRICOS (international students), mainly centred round Melbourne and SE Queensland. Trades include automotive (+ heavy), bricklaying, cabinet making, carpentry and air conditioning/refrigeration. No need to say but they fill quickly.

PS According to the new ESOS Act it is also illegal for institutions to use unofficial agents, e.g. migration agents taking up front consulting fee,offering advice and assisting with school application. Official eduation institution representatives (vetted, referecned in Oz etc.) like AIEC QUEST are paid directly by the institution and you pay no up front consulting fees for our advice and assistance with application and student visa. J

Archived