Our first 6 weeks....

peeka

Hi – this is a long post but wanted to let you know about our first 6 weeks and hopefully give you guys some useful information.

Background

We are here on a 475 residential visa, sponsored by Queensland Government. OH is lead applicant and was a Manufacturing Manager in the UK for a large food company. I was a PA working for the Chairman of a multi-national business. We have two boys aged 19 and 13 years.

Flight

We flew from Manchester on Thursday 17th September arriving here on the morning of Saturday 19th. We flew with Etihad airways – very good, friendly and efficient. Stopped for 3 hours in Abu Dhabi and then a quick stop at Singapore (10 mins but had to get off the aircraft)

Relocation & Accom

Used a relocation agent (not sure if I can say which, but PM if you want to know) who met us at the airport, took us for our car hire (booked it for 2 weeks) and then followed them to our accommodation they had booked on our behalf (4 weeks).

First Few Weeks

Met with relocation agent who helped us register with TFN, Medicare etc and advised us on various ways of searching for work, registering with school, showed us on map the permitted areas to live/work in. We arrived during the school holidays (2 weeks in September) so unable to register youngest. Concentrated on registering with employment agencies, web alterts for jobs and purchasing our first car.

Cars

Second-hand cars don’t come cheap! I think we were lucky and got a good deal..........used a guy in Southport (PM if you want details). You can purchase with an ‘drive away or all-in’ this is inclusive of tax. If not included you will need to go to the government dept to pay this.

Tip:- Barter, barter, barter

Jobs

Six weeks in and still no jobs – applied for 100+ between the three of us! Some companies replied to us and some haven’t! Recruitment agencies don’t even bother replying to you at times – very strange! If you have a date when you will land contact agencies before but don’t expect too much help, although you can certainly set up your email alerts.

Tip:- Apply for anything and everything just to keep you motivated!

Schools

Phoned school Monday, appointment set for Tuesday and wham bam he was in school Wednesday morning! Uniforms expensive and text books are purchased via a school scheme – cost $50 for the term.

Tip:- Bring pencil case, calculator, writing books etc in your suitcase

Rentals

Estate agents are often franchises and therefore one LJ Hooker doesn’t know about what the LJ Hooker in the next suburb is selling/renting. We visited every branch in every suburb known to man!

Areas

Due to postcode restrictions we felt limited unless we went rural. Needed a ‘nice’ area near the motorway for easy access north and south. Now settled in Pacific Pines, although not everyone’s cup of tea it has good local amenities, junior and high schools, and a family feel. There are some dodgy suburbs – don’t want to offend anyone so won’t post these but please PM me if you want to know more!

Tip: Drive round the areas, look at schools from the outside and ask estate agents in other areas about one that they don’t sell in.

Garage Sales

I wouldn’t have been seen dead in the UK doing car boots but the garage sales here at fab !!! If you have come over with no furniture – trust me you could buy everything you need from a garage sale. We have purchased some good bargains that will put us on until our stuff arrives and can then resell at our own garage sale.

Tip: Be there early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you haven’t fallen asleep reading this.....please feel free to ask questions.

Guest proud2beaussie

Thanks for the report Peeka and welcome to Australia,sounds like you are settling in fairly well,keep us informed of how things go for you.

Cheers

N'OZ

God post, and hopefully you will both find work soon. Guess this time of year is pretty dead in that side of things. HOpefully after Jan more vacancies will become avail.

Good luck

Mads

Hi – this is a long post but wanted to let you know about our first 6 weeks and hopefully give you guys some useful information.

Background

We are here on a 475 residential visa, sponsored by Queensland Government. OH is lead applicant and was a Manufacturing Manager in the UK for a large food company. I was a PA working for the Chairman of a multi-national business. We have two boys aged 19 and 13 years.

Flight

We flew from Manchester on Thursday 17th September arriving here on the morning of Saturday 19th. We flew with Etihad airways – very good, friendly and efficient. Stopped for 3 hours in Abu Dhabi and then a quick stop at Singapore (10 mins but had to get off the aircraft)

Relocation & Accom

Used a relocation agent (not sure if I can say which, but PM if you want to know) who met us at the airport, took us for our car hire (booked it for 2 weeks) and then followed them to our accommodation they had booked on our behalf (4 weeks).

First Few Weeks

Met with relocation agent who helped us register with TFN, Medicare etc and advised us on various ways of searching for work, registering with school, showed us on map the permitted areas to live/work in. We arrived during the school holidays (2 weeks in September) so unable to register youngest. Concentrated on registering with employment agencies, web alterts for jobs and purchasing our first car.

Cars

Second-hand cars don’t come cheap! I think we were lucky and got a good deal..........used a guy in Southport (PM if you want details). You can purchase with an ‘drive away or all-in’ this is inclusive of tax. If not included you will need to go to the government dept to pay this.

Tip:- Barter, barter, barter

Jobs

Six weeks in and still no jobs – applied for 100+ between the three of us! Some companies replied to us and some haven’t! Recruitment agencies don’t even bother replying to you at times – very strange! If you have a date when you will land contact agencies before but don’t expect too much help, although you can certainly set up your email alerts.

Tip:- Apply for anything and everything just to keep you motivated!

Schools

Phoned school Monday, appointment set for Tuesday and wham bam he was in school Wednesday morning! Uniforms expensive and text books are purchased via a school scheme – cost $50 for the term.

Tip:- Bring pencil case, calculator, writing books etc in your suitcase

Rentals

Estate agents are often franchises and therefore one LJ Hooker doesn’t know about what the LJ Hooker in the next suburb is selling/renting. We visited every branch in every suburb known to man!

Areas

Due to postcode restrictions we felt limited unless we went rural. Needed a ‘nice’ area near the motorway for easy access north and south. Now settled in Pacific Pines, although not everyone’s cup of tea it has good local amenities, junior and high schools, and a family feel. There are some dodgy suburbs – don’t want to offend anyone so won’t post these but please PM me if you want to know more!

Tip: Drive round the areas, look at schools from the outside and ask estate agents in other areas about one that they don’t sell in.

Garage Sales

I wouldn’t have been seen dead in the UK doing car boots but the garage sales here at fab !!! If you have come over with no furniture – trust me you could buy everything you need from a garage sale. We have purchased some good bargains that will put us on until our stuff arrives and can then resell at our own garage sale.

Tip: Be there early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you haven’t fallen asleep reading this.....please feel free to ask questions.

Guest scot2oz

great post, would love to keep in touch and even pm you sometime regarding those dodgy suburbs lol. we are hoping to be in similar area next october once we have saved a few pennies just incase we are not lucky on the job front. take care

I phoned for a job at 8.30am yesterday morning, had an interview at 1.00pm and at 2.30pm they phoned and offered me it.........only 1 day a week though but anything is better than nothing and it gets my brain working again :)

It literally is a case of applying for anything and everything!

Happy to keep in touch - PM if needbe.

Guest T j win

Thanks for advise, hope to be out their soon ( well as soon as we can sell our house ) got visa activated them in WA but thinking of QLD but not sure where,

Im plumbing & htg eng for over 20yrs & own buissness 5yrs ,wife works for NHS kids girl 20,lad 18, any more help would be greatfull..... Thanks

Great post Peeka,, Hang on in there with th jobs, i am sure something will come up soon and reading yur post it looks like your getting word out there that you are job hunting. Good Luck

p.s

Are you who i think you are ?lol,, if so the garage sales sort of gave it away!lol

Cal x

Great post Peeka,, Hang on in there with th jobs, i am sure something will come up soon and reading yur post it looks like your getting word out there that you are job hunting. Good Luck

p.s

Are you who i think you are ?lol,, if so the garage sales sort of gave it away!lol

Cal x

Of course it's me !!!! Our furniture arrived today so we can now do our own garage sale - we have bought some s**t with us ahahahahaha and at least 40 pairs of my shoes!

Guest guest33730
LOL,

All you need here is a pair of thongs! lol

Cal x

As usual that translates really well!! - and after hearing it many times it still makes me smile!! - sad aren't I!!

Daniel

Archived