rental system

Guest lady vsters

Guest lady vsters

Hi

I am moving to melbourne with my 2 kids next week. iIdo have a job and a 457 visa. I know the market is tough out there.

I have 2 charachter refs one from oz(manager through goverment) and one from Uk. Employers ref from UK and landlord ref( its a private rental though ) . I can provide from my bank staement my last few months rental payment and my lease. I dont have a drivers licence but a passport and of course stating that I start work.

Is there anything else.. do you think this is enough? My folks ar PR in Vic as well.

thank you for any guidance at all getting worried now !!!!

Guest Scarletfever

Sorry, don't know, but wanted to wish you the best of luck.:spinny:

Dan

Guest newnico
Hi

I am moving to melbourne with my 2 kids next week. iIdo have a job and a 457 visa. I know the market is tough out there.

I have 2 charachter refs one from oz(manager through goverment) and one from Uk. Employers ref from UK and landlord ref( its a private rental though ) . I can provide from my bank staement my last few months rental payment and my lease. I dont have a drivers licence but a passport and of course stating that I start work.

Is there anything else.. do you think this is enough? My folks ar PR in Vic as well.

There are a few people who moved fairly recently (Krista is one) who may be able to help on this. I'm also moving to Melbourne alone in November, so will be interested to hear how you get on. My guess is that with the paperwork you've already got, you should be fine. Good luck anyway!

Guest kellyin canberra

We just moved down to Canberra from Syd and had a bad time looking for a rental. Canberra is very bad (for reasons unknown to me becasue it's very dull and there should be an abundance of housing)! anyway, get back to what I was saying...The main thing is that there are alot of people always looking for rentals, dont be scared by that becasue I have seen and known people who just go and have a look from time to time, even though they arnt looking for themselves. The thing to do is obvioulsy look on the many websites for rentals. I have used http://www.realestate.com.au and its also good to give this website a call and get on a thing called the "rental bug" being on this will definatley give you an advantage because they will email you the latest rentals,think on a Tues and Fri..thats a useful one..

The other thing is that if you really like a house and the pictures are really good in the website (there has to be pics because if there isnt...dont bother looking and wasting your time) then get all your info together,photo copy everything you have id, wise and take it along with you to each viewing. If its nice, just fill in the application there and then and give them the id, you will have the first application it straight away. If there is competition for the house then bung on another 10 or $20 to the asking per week.This is what we had to do in the end. My boyfriend and I had to be out of our rental in Sydney as people were moving in etc,,real stress!! You will find one,you will love and 6 weeks is plenty,happy hunting and good luck.

Hi

When we got our first rental here in NSW they done this on a point scoring system and had to get 100 points, i.e aussie drivers licence / birth certifcate or passport/ proof of wage etc etc im not sure how different it would be in melbourne,

perhaps you could email one of the rental agents from the www.realestate.com.au website sure they would reply and give you all you need to know, just remembered they done a credit check on us for in oz too

good luck

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Jenners

Bear with me as it's a bit of a story, but before we moved out here I was terrified we wouldn't be able to find a house without having a job first as proof of salary etc...

OH placed an ad on Gumtree for a furnished place and although we got a few odd people reply, we did get a reply from a lovely lady who moved out here with her family 3 months prior. It is a furnished house in a lovely area (Kew East) and the real estate agent was happy with proof of ID and the bond (deposit) - no issues at all...

I don't know if this is the case with all Melbourne real estate agents or if we were fortunate, but just in case - the agent is Colin Knight Real Estate (www.colinknight.com.au)

Oh - and the house is back up for let, it's on the site... we're off to Brighton to live by the sea, hurrah :cute:

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like more info about it... good luck all!

Archived