advice for 16yr old education in Oz

Guest sharrondodd

Hi there

We're coming out on a 457 visa as well. I was just wondering how long you are intending staying and what point in her education your daughter will be when you go back? we have 3 kids - 4, 12 & 14 years and I am worried how their education will be affected by spending a few years in Auz.

Emma

Hi Emma

Think I have spoken before. In terms of younger children they will probably be fine. Older children harder as system here is different (even state by state). I don't think there would be an easy slot back into more senior years of UK system from Aus as you have GSCE and then A level system. When here it is only the last 2 years 11 and 12 that are critical for post school qualifications. We had a local 6th form college that offered IB in UK and for that reason my eldest will do IB - although it is offered in private and state schools here it is usually offered alongside state qualifications. We are probably here for good but are at least committed to staying until 14 and 16 year old finish year 12. Aus school qualifications will get entry to some but not all UK uni courses and Aus tends to have year less in school but 4 as opposed to 3 year degree courses.

Sam

• 5 months later...
Guest Cozzah

I moved here in January 2011 and I had already completed my GCSE's over in the UK, now I'm back in year 11 and I'm not finding it too bad, the lifestyles of the teenagers here are alot different, and at first I did find it hard, but I have decided to focus on my school work and this has greatly helped me. It's a hard move but it's easier finding and making new friends, where did you move to?

I moved here in January 2011 and I had already completed my GCSE's over in the UK, now I'm back in year 11 and I'm not finding it too bad, the lifestyles of the teenagers here are alot different, and at first I did find it hard, but I have decided to focus on my school work and this has greatly helped me. It's a hard move but it's easier finding and making new friends, where did you move to?

Hi there

We have moved to the Gold Coast and my kids are loving it. They have settled into their school really well. It is a brilliant school, the academic standard is really high - it is the same standard as their Grammar schools in the Uk, if not higher and the teachers are really lovely. The friends that they have made at the school are all lovely and their lifestyle here is fantastic - so much healthier than in the UK. After worrying about transferring their education back and forth from the Uk to Oz at the moment they are refusing to go back!!:laugh:. Glad to here that you have settled in well as well, it really is a beautiful country isn't it.

Emma

Archived