Social workers heading for gippsland

Guest pauli77

Guest pauli77

Hi All,

I thought I would start this as there seems to be a few of us heading for Oz. I hope this might give us some links, and the opportunity for meet ups when we are finally there, depending of course how far away everyone is, as Gippsland is huge.

Feel free to PM me or post on here.

We fly out on 23rd Nov!!

Regards

Pauline:wacko:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest superslim09

Hi Pauline,

Hope to arrive in Jan, still sorting out visa etc. Am in shock as it happened so unexpectedly but am looking 4ward to it.

Well not too long for you!

Regards

Ang

Guest pauli77

Hi Ang,

I have PM you back and given you my email address. I think it is really important we have some links when we get there as our job is hard enough at times without having a few mates to let our hair down with. Hoping we are not all going to be too far away and meeting up regularly will be feasible.

Hope to speak to you soon.

Pauline

Guest Wigmore1979

Hi,

I too am heading your way in January, really excited but also scared at the same time. Just waiting to hear back about which area office I will be working in and then can start looking at schools and housing etc etc......

Good luck with the adventure

Caroline

Guest pauli77

You too!! Have you decided on what area you want to be in?? If not too far we should all try and meet up in Jan as I think there is a lot more coming over in Jan. My Husband and I will be arriving in Nov and I too am really excited but also scared about what it will be like. Thought we should come before xmas or might have changed my mind!! Not looking forward to the goodbyes. Keep in touch x

Pauline

Guest Wigmore1979

Hi Pauline,

To be honest I have not got a clue on areas yet, it rather depends on the school as my wee young man is a little bit complicated and needs some additional support at school. I shall be ringing around at some ridiculous hour tonight and tomorrow. If not too far definatly be good to meet up.

Good luck with 23rd November should be a great xmas over there.

Caroline

Guest mandyvs15

Hi All!

My family and I are also doing the 'Gippsland Move' :biggrin: We have had the movers/packers in today-it has made it sooo much more real. We will be moving to Warragul- we fly out on 2/12/09...

Am soooo excited, but nervous too! FANTASTIC idea about getting together in January-have already mentioned it to a few people.. a good idea to get a bit of a support network going!

Have not used the site before- looks good.

Good luck with all the prep and sorting out...

Mandy

Guest pauli77

Hi Mandy,

I will give you my contact details when we get to Oz as we fly on 23rd so will be there only a week before you. Our shippers are coming on the 13th Nov to take all the stuff.

This is a great site we have got so much info from it.

Good Luck and will hopefully see you 'Down Under'

Pauline

Guest Wigmore1979

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question, are you guys all coming over on a 457 visa and if so how long did yours take and did you have to do medicals.

Cheers

Caroline

Guest pauli77

Hi,

Yes it is a 457 and took less than a week to come back Didn't need medicals, just police check for me but hubby didn't need one.

Hope that helps.

Pauline

Guest Wigmore1979

Hi Pauline,

That's great thankyou. Where abouts in Gippsland will you be living? I have been offered there Morwell office, which looks good as I wanted to find a good school for little one and looks like this will be in Trarlagon (I think that's how you spell it).

This is such a big step, but I think the right one, am getting rather excited at the moment.

Kind Regards

Caroline

Guest pauli77

Hi Caroline,

I will be in Leongatha, which is not too far away from you!! Did you have a look on Travel Victoria, it has got a lot of info on towns like population, supermarkets, banks etc we found it really useful. I still sway about whether we are doing the right thing but it is getting less and less, just excited now. Waiting to hear from a real estate agent about a short term rental cos they are not easy to come by for a reasonable price!! Once we have sorted somewhere to live we will be able to settle a bit and just look forward to it. Booked our farewell party, shipping and bought new fridgefreezer and washer today!!! All very scary and exciting, it is all happening!!! We will be there in 4 weeks time, can't beleive it.

Regards

Pauline

Guest mandyvs15

Ditto- 457 visa- took about 4weeks-had to wait on police checks and new passports for the kids. No medicals. Look forward to hearing from you Pauline... pre Christmas drinks?! All the house stufF goes tomorrow-it's weird-am surrounded by boxes-packers were FANTASTIC- !

Do the rest of you have dates yet?

Mandy

Guest pauli77

Hi Mandy,

Defo up for a pre xmas drink!! We might have to have a bit of a bbq, you know to get into the ozzy way of life and ofcourse it would be rude not too!!! Look forward to speaking to you soon.

Pauline

Guest Wigmore1979

This is a great thread, and is nice to have contact with others that are making the big move as it were. Does anyone have a website that I can look at in terms of short term rentals and what are people doing about car when they arrive...

Guest mandyvs15

We've been using : domain+au+rentals-just google it. Will probably hire a car for a short time, while we look for a second hand one....

ALL our stuff has gone now-container went yesterday :biggrin: Been really stressed, so can hopefully relax abit more now.

Mandy

Guest superslim09

Hi,

Also going to Oz in Jan (Warrugal) - thought get a car with the job?

All those going soon best of luck, Let us know how you find it!

Ang

Guest pauli77
This is a great thread, and is nice to have contact with others that are making the big move as it were. Does anyone have a website that I can look at in terms of short term rentals and what are people doing about car when they arrive...

Hi,

We have been using www.realestate.com.au. Haven's had much luck with short term furnished but made contact with some of the agents. We have found one that was supposed to be long term but we cheekily asked if they would consider a short term 8-12wks and they have agreed...yipee!!! You can drive yourself crackers looking at them.

Good Luck with the house hunt!!

Guest Wigmore1979

I know what you mean about going crackers looking at websites, apart from gathering infomation and form filling, the rest of my free time is spent looking at websites, shopping, banking, areas, housing and schools. I am sure that I need to do more but we will see.

It's great to see others that are coming over.

Regards

Caroline

Traralgon and Sale are nicer towns than Morewell in my opinion. Morewell has an element if you know what I mean. Guess that is why they need social workers. Since restructuring there is a lot of unemployment in the area.

Drouin is a nice place, Warragul is ok too but these towns are smaller and will be quite different from the UK very different. The nearest large area would be Pakenham and then Berwick and Dandenong for shopping at larger centres

Guest Wigmore1979

My decision is solely based on schooling for my little one. I spoke to schools in Morwell and was not impressed for a variety of reasons. I have spoken to schools in traralgon and have been impressed by one of the two that I have spoken to, but I want to look around first before I make a decision.

I really have a good feeling about the move to Australia, the little one is thinking of it as a big adventure, I have used a bribe of a dog though after we have been there for 2 years, which he thinks is great.

If anyone has any useful websites to look at that would be great also. I do agree with you also Mandy that it will be worth it in the end.

Regards

Caroline

Guest pauli77

Hi,

Have you had a look at 'travel victoria', it tells you basic facts etc about certain towns, this is how we narrowed down the search!!!

Regarding banks we have opened an account with Westpac, they offered a good account and the 'fee' is not charged to migrants for the first 6 months or if $2000 per month is deposited and they don't charge for things like cheques or using other people's ATM. Have a look at the finance bit on here, gives some good advice on banks and stuff.

Regards

Pauline

p.s anyone else addicted to this thread and site???!!!

Guest pauli77

Hey Guys,

Had to say the first proper goodbye yesterday to my fav aunty and uncle, it was sooooo hard, broke my heart. Dreading the rest of the goodbyes, can't believe it is so soon, had a major wobble about whether doing the right thing xx

Archived