Advice Please - How do employers react when......?

Guest kamlak

Guest kamlak

Hi POI

I will be in Melbourne and Sydney during 28th May to 1st June - during that time I have a number of interviews and meetings :biggrin:

Does anyone have any experience on what companies might react if I was to phone up during the visit and see if they would be interested in talking to me while I was in the area

Any other feedback on best way to get interviews / meetings will also be much appreciated

We have started our VISA application process last month

Many thanks in advance of any replies

:)

Guest Abi&Dan

Don't know personally but have seen a lot of people on various sites saying that they have done that - and it seems to work particularly well for the trades just to turn up/phone everyone out of the phone book.

Guest Davidgolf

hi kalam

i think you will find that most of them will onlt want to know if you have got youe visa, but its worth a try.

sharon.

Guest Nelson

I think for trades that's quite a good idea.. I am a believer of 'right place, right time' kinda stuff but for many jobs, as I have documented in other posts, prepare to be directed to recruitment agencies and for a long slog. I agree with Davidgolf too that most Good luck!

Guest Working to fish
Hi POI

I will be in Melbourne and Sydney during 28th May to 1st June - during that time I have a number of interviews and meetings :biggrin:

Does anyone have any experience on what companies might react if I was to phone up during the visit and see if they would be interested in talking to me while I was in the area

Any other feedback on best way to get interviews / meetings will also be much appreciated

We have started our VISA application process last month

Many thanks in advance of any replies

:)

hi i was in oz 2 months ago ,i got the local papers and just phone numbers i am a carpenter,joiner ,i would say most companies were happy to talk to me only 1 that didnt want to know . no harm in phoneing you wont know if you dont phone.been told works there for me when we get there. dont know if this helps.

eddie and family

Guest kamlak

Hi Abi and Dan

Thanks for the reply - I will use this when I am there at the end of the month

Thanks again

Guest kamlak

Hi Davidgolf

Thanks for the reply - I agree with your comments and it is in the back of my mind at present. However we have started the process but will be there before it comes through

Will try my best anyway

Thanks again

Guest kamlak

Hi krista

The path to recruitment consultants has already started - I have a meeting with one already planned for when I am there. I have managed to get a direct interview all ready, so things are moving forward slowly

Thanks again

Hi Kamlak

I am an IT recruiter based in Melbourne (moved here in Jan 06). Yes, definately, call up the companies you are targeting and suggest a meeting as it shows strength of character and determination to be here.

It's a candidate driven market at the moment, therefore, companies have to be reactive to good people applying or risk missing out.

If you want any additional advice, drop me a line to paulinej@bostonkennedy.com.au I'm not sure what line of work you're in but happy to advise where I can.

Good news for people arriving is there are many jobs, not so many people and less competition, if you're intending to head for major cities that is.

Pj

Guest kamlak

Hi PJ

Many thanks for your encouragement - trying to get response remotely is proving very difficult, which is why I have arranged the visit

Will take up your advice and hopefully move things forward quickly

Thanks again

:notworthy:

I am looking at this option as well, not much response from the UK. Problem is I am 46....(just) and so will need to be sponsored, it seems like chicken and egg situation that you need a visa to get job and vice versa !

Pat

when applying for jobs whilst still in the uk myself and hubby got very little response.We came here for a few week and part of that time we spent trawling around works that seemed in our line of work ,had a great response and hubby got a few job offers.most aussies are so laid back they dont mind you just walking in and asking ,,take your cv with you thou.

Cal x

Guest kamlak

Hi Patsmec

I am 42 and have the same problem, that is why we decided to bite the bullet and make the visit to get away from the excuse. My biggest problem is that I do not match a role on the Demand List, but can do a variety of different roles. When I speak to recruitment people they seem to love what I do, but feel they can place me, but only when I live in Oz - Chicken and egg as you say

Hoping to move forward during the visit

Best of luck with your search - keep in touch

KamlaK

Guest kamlak

Hi Calngary

I have come to the same conclusion - which is why I will be there 28th May to 1st June - I do not have a direct trade, but could do a number of jobs on the list

I am just going to get over there, meet as many people as possible and see what happens

hi Kamlak

I am starting to think the same way, I am a skilled mechanic who has worked for the AA for 19 years and am looking at doing something similar over there......in the sun, it would make a pleasant change.......but no response from e-mail.

starting to think about a visit to move things along.

Pat

Guest kamlak

Hi Patsmec

I would have thought with your profession you would find a job very quickly, but you will need to be there face to face.

My findings at the moment confirm the feedback I have had that when people know you are there, they are willing to meet and talk

Best of luck

Kamlak

Guest kamlak

Hi Pat

Look at the message from thekeg95 - they are looking for mechanics - it is in the Jobs and careers section

Good luck

Kamlak

Hi Kamlac

Ive looked at that, thanks for the tip.

I am starting to think its when not if I travel over, a lot better chance and it will give me chance to see Oz.....I'm one of the vast majority who are looking at migrating without being there before !

Pat

Guest kamlak

Hi Patsmec

Just go for it is my motto now - let us know how it goes - I will post an update once I have returned

KamlaK

• 1 month later...
Hi Patsmec

Just go for it is my motto now - let us know how it goes - I will post an update once I have returned

KamlaK

I have decided to bite the bullet and have sorted a trip to Perth out for August..:arghh:...give the 457 a kick up the ass and see if I can have more luck face to face....how did your trip go??

Pat

Guest kamlak

Hi Patsmec

I think this is your best option - my trip went very well, very busy not long enough to really react to someone who cannot see you straight away. If you can afford it then I would suggest you spend as long as possible out there and be willing to contact and meet as many people as possible.

I would also contact people beforehand and advise you are coming out, where you will be and when. If you get appointments then let other people know when you are trying to get meetings. If there appears to be other interest then this also encourages companies to meet you

The main thing is to be positive, have your CV, references and any other details that shows them what you are capable of handy and leave copies with them

From my visit I now have 3 organisations offering to sponsor me, and we are going back out as a family late july / early august to make our final decision on what job and where

Our biggest issue is that we have 3 different locations to choose from Sydney, Melbourne and Warrnambool (3.5 hours west of melbourne)

If I can help in any way then please let me know

KamlaK

Guest xxsweetpeaxx

Hi Kamlak,

I am considering many options as a way to get to Aus, including spending time out there doing face to face interviews in the hope that I can persuade Australia that they really do need me!

Did you take any internal flights..and if so, were they costly?

How long do you suggest is a reasonable amount of time to allow oneself to get and attend interviews? I work in healthcare, so the process of getting an interview may be harder than if it were for a local firm, it would be impossible here, but I am hoping Aus wont be so bureaucratic!

Thanks

Pea,x

Guest kamlak

Hi Sweetpea

I did take internal flights from Melbourne to Sydney - not very costly - $98 return if you get your times right - I found Virgin Blue to be the best, i think quantas has a cheap internal flight service as well

My view at present would be to allow for one week at least per location, try and get some interviews lined up before you get there, depending on where they are you may be able to get two done per day. This helps in two ways, builds your confidence and is good to say when you are trying to convince other people to see you as well. Plan your travelling time well and do not make it too tight, enjoy the experience of a new country

Be well prepared, copies of certificates etc and just be confident and brave - healthcare is a good one to be in - especially if the role you have is on the demand list.

Might be worth registering with an agency who are looking for people, my wife will qualify as a nurse next year and already she is on the books of 3 agencies who want to work with her to get over to australia when she qualifies

Hope this helps and good luck

Kamlak

Archived