No Fensa Certificate?

mr luvpants

We are just putting our house up for sale and I am filling in the paperwork from the Solicitor. One of the questions asks "Have we had any double glazing windows fitted since 2002"? Apparently since then you need a FENSA certificate if you have a window fitted. We had 3 windows replaced in 2003 by a builder who 1. did not say anything about a certificate and 2. we cant remember his name. After a trawl through the net it seems we can get Indemnity insurance for this.

Anyone had the same problem and how did you get round it?

JOHN

Guest Joanna1

Hi there

We had that kind of problem when we brought our last house!

There was no certificate to say it was to FENSA regs, so to get the sale through as wed already had loads of issues my OH used to fit windows so we got his ex-boss to write a letter saying that although he did not install the windows he could confirm they were ok as far as FENSA regs were concerned. Our mortgage company & solicitor were more than happy.

Do you know anyone who fits windows for a living, friend or a friend for example? If your solicitor would accept this you could just offer the person doing the letter a 'drink' for their troubles?

See how you go.

If not i'm sure you wont have a problem with indemnity insurance.

Hope you get it sorted

Guest Vicky Howarth

I was a Para-legal Conveyancer in the UK before moving to Oz - don't worry, the indemnity insurance for lack of FENSA/building regs is one of the most used policies and accepted by all other solicitors and mortgage lenders. Just fill in the form confirming the work that was done but that you don't have a certificate. The buyers solicitor wll pick this up and either your solicitor will sort out getting the policy, or you will agree an allowance of the cost for the buyers solicitor to get it, before exchange of Contracts.

Same for the house I bought in the UK. My solicitor arranged an insurance policy in leiu of any problems with non fensa windows. Cost about 20GBP

Guest Sandisonsonthemove

Have you tried going on the Fensa website to see whether or not one was actually issued and just not given to you? I work in a solicitors office and it is quite often the case that they can be obtained from their website even though the client does not have the certificate. A replacement costs £10. If not indemnity is the easiest way to go and your solicitor will sort that out for you.

Archived