Korean air???!

Poca&Dan

Hello,

Just about to book the flights and am thinking we are going to go with Korean air, has any one any strong opinions about this airline?

They're the cheapest by far and the only company who have confirmed that we can have extra baggage (on 457), but just wondering if cheap isn't always best?!

Thank you!:wacko:

Guest Koala Kim

Hi there

I used to work in the aviation press and unfortunately Korean haven't got the best safety record. However, as far as I know nothing major has happened in a while but they did go through a bad time some years ago so maybe they've improved now!

They aren't as bad as Indonesian airlines - Garuda is no longer allowed to land in the UK due to the countries recent spate of accidents.

There was one of the Chinese airlines (maybe China Southern?) who were offering some great deals from the UK to Oz or maybe think about Air Asia if you want to cut costs. It's long haul no frills! Make sure that you book a stopover in KL (Malaysia) if you take this option as you know no-frills airlines are subject to delays and I have read that if you miss your connection then it's a bit of hassle. Might not be so good either if you have little kids as there isn't so much entertainments as on the majors.

I have to say it's a long old flight down to here and I'm now at the point in life where I'd rather have a bit of comfort and safety!

If you are worried about the extra baggage then you can always send a couple of suitcases ahead of you via Excess Baggage - we did this which worked well.

Hope this helps!

KK

Guest siamsusie

K.Kim, I did my stint flying Garuda as well, no more! I found it incredible that an off duty Garuda pilot murdered a rights activisit on a flight to Amsterdam! lol.....Back to the OP I have flown Korean Air on a number occasions , I personally would say it is adequate., but nothing like its counterparts eg Singapore/Malaysian etc. Seoul is a reasonably good stopover with all facilities.

Seats arent the most comfortable see Passenger Airline and Airport Reviews by Real Passengers with Real Opinions. Australia is a long old haul if your not comfortable. Food is hit and miss. Asiana is very good (imo) for the money, did you look at Thai? Where are you travelling to and dates? best wishes ss x

Have looked at Thai airlines and they're all about the same price, just korean air was really cheap! OH loves to save money, but I can't help but think we might regret not paying a couple of hundred extra for peace of mind and comfort! Like Singapore air or Cathay pacific, have heard all really good things about them!

OH mentality is that 'all flights will have good and bad' but I'm thinking it's not necessarily about the service but the actually comfort of the flight?! Think I will prob go with singapore air!

I looked into flights in July when I thought my visa would come but didn't, so will just revisit all the airlines again and see whats on offer!

I travelled with Korean Air on my last trip to Australia (jan to april) and WHAT A FANTASTIC AIRLINE I can not fault them well i can but the service ALL ROUND was A1.

the bad points

the staff onboard 2 of the 4 legs (2 legs to get to Aust 2 legs back to the UK) did not speak the best English. But to be fair they didn't give up and always smiled.

the leg from Soeul to Melb / Melb to Soeul was an old plane so the plane did not have tv's in the head rest. But the seats had more room and thicker padding (great for sleeping). So if you have kids take their psp (whatever) The 8 hour flight went quick enough not to miss it.

Some people may not like the food however i found it very tasty and fresh (they do have English meals)

The good points

25 kgs for your luggage and 12 kgs for your hand luggage

(mind you on the return trip i had 33 kgs and the let it go on NO CHARGE) most airlines only allow 20kg and 7kg for hand luggage. So they give you an extra 10 kg and at $75 AUD a kilo thats $750 saved!!!!

The ground staff are very helpful and go out of there way to help you (i even got a free upgrade on 1 leg)

The staff on the plane are up and down the alse all the time serving drinks chips, nuts etc and are only to happy to get you a drink or something to eat at anytime and ALWAYS have a smile on there face.....

Your food tray is taken away within 20 minutes of you finishing your meal, as are your cups, cans etc The last time I flew with emirates it was close to an hour)

You have a 21 hour stop in Soeul (melb to london) and they provide you with a good hotel (min 4 stars) 3 meal vouchers and the bus transfer to the hotel which is all orginised for you including your wake up call.... The flight from london to Australia was 3 hours! the airport was clean with lots of shops etc to while away the time....

If you can get a stop over in Soeul do it (to me) it felt very safe people happy to talk to you in the street and with any Asian city it's always an eye opener

They are cheap in price and nothing else.

Any questions fire away

Geoffrey

Have looked at Thai airlines and they're all about the same price, just korean air was really cheap! OH loves to save money, but I can't help but think we might regret not paying a couple of hundred extra for peace of mind and comfort! Like Singapore air or Cathay pacific, have heard all really good things about them!

OH mentality is that 'all flights will have good and bad' but I'm thinking it's not necessarily about the service but the actually comfort of the flight?! Think I will prob go with singapore air!

I looked into flights in July when I thought my visa would come but didn't, so will just revisit all the airlines again and see whats on offer!

Save the money and fly Korean

Well we had decided on korean air ages ago, but I'd not really heard anything about them so was a bit worried!! I spoke to someone from korean air and they said that on a 457 visa I would automatically get an extra 10kg I just need to call up when I book the flights! That was kind of what won the decision for me! I think in hind sight OH is prehaps right somepeople have bad experiences and some have good! So I should save the money for extra spending and shopping!!!!!

Well we had decided on korean air ages ago, but I'd not really heard anything about them so was a bit worried!! I spoke to someone from korean air and they said that on a 457 visa I would automatically get an extra 10kg I just need to call up when I book the flights! That was kind of what won the decision for me! I think in hind sight OH is prehaps right somepeople have bad experiences and some have good! So I should save the money for extra spending and shopping!!!!!

Just thought i'd quote your post so if your O/H reads this it's there for all to see!!!! LOL

I flew Korean from SYD to LHR return 4 weeks ago..................couldn't fault them!

Had a S/O in Seoul...............Regency Hyatt 5* excellent........all paid for............3 meal vouchers etc etc.............transport to and from.............NO in flight entertainment from Seoul to Sydney BUT it was ok.................$1300 return...............go for it!

PS: When I emigrated I used Cathay.............£417 one way...........they were excellent too!

will it cost extra?

(no expert) you'll need to ask Nigel

But most airlines (i think) offer 1 stop over each way for free, (not hotel etc)

for example Emirates fly manchester, dubai, singapore, melb if you wanted a stop over in dubai or singapore that would be at no cost but if you wanted a stop over at both then there would be a charge (for what and why i don't know) now because your going 1 way I'm not 100% sure.

sorry not much help

how do you arrange for a top over? My friend lives in seoul so would be good to see him!?

I asked for the "longer connection" hence the cheaper fare plus accomodation!

You will get one S/O FOC on most fares (Check the Fare Rules) BUT if you request a S/O you will pay for your accomodation etc

Guest proud2beaussie

It's true that Korean Air did go through a bad patch safety wise but that was in the 90's,they have significantly improved their maintenance procedures and are now amongst the worlds leading airlines.

I have flown with them many times since 2000,mostly on business trips to Seoul and always found them to be very very good with friendly crew,good food and reasonably comfortable seats.

Give them a try I reckon.

Archived