Moving during year 10 and 11

trace1

Hi everyone Im new to Pomsin oz...my friend told me about this website cos I have a bit of a dilema...have wanted to move to Australia for some time now and is actually possible to apply from Feb next year 2010...prob wont get out there until nearer the end of the year am a midwife so dont think it woud be too difficult to get sponsorship and doesnt normally take too long...but the problem is my 14 yr old son who is in yr 10 now but will be in yr 11 in Sept 2010 and will be about to take his GCSE exams...do I move him next year and hope that he settles into the education system there...means that he will go into yr 10 next year just for a few months as the new school yr doesnt start until January 2011 when he will move into yr 11...or will this disrupt him too much...rlly dont want to have to wait but aslo want to do what is right for my son...would love to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience

Guest sassygal

Hi

I am new here too, I can only speak from my own experiences with my own children, but we have lived overseas before and they cope really well, they are so resilient - better than some of us adults. Yes the timing is not the best regards to GCSE's but ur son will deal with it there are always other means such as resits, colleges etc.

I had the opportunity to move to Oz some time ago....looked into it, got all the paperwork and changed my mind, hence I am applying now. Regret is an awful feeling and now the process is looking to take twice as long (thats being positive).

how does your son feel about the move to Oz? Mine would go tomorrow at any cost, well infact so would I!!

only you have the answer but if I was in your position I would be going x

If you arrive part way through 2010 and he goes into year 10 he will be fine. It's when he is 16+ that life becomes difficult. As long as he is here for year 11 and 12 he will be OK. The final two years of school here are a course of continuous assessment and examinations in most states so to miss part of those years would be akin to missing part of an A level curriculum - could be a serious disadvantage.

I'd say that if you can get here before a child is 16 or is just 16 and can slot into year 11 then that will be OK but any later than that, then wait for them to have done A levels and that way they get the best of both worlds and can choose either UK or Aus universities with minimal financial implications.

All depends on where you are going and when his birthday is but a 14 year old would be in year 8 or 9 here this year anyway.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Trace1

Welcome to PIO. You will find that, as Quoll has said, as long as he is here for the start of Yr 11 to do Yr 11 and Yr 12 then he will be fine and it is the best time to move him. As Quoll has said you may find that he is going to go back a year or two depending on his birthday and the state you move to. In Victoria a 14 year old would be in either Yr 8 or Yr 9. Take a look here: Moving to Melbourne: Schools in Melbourne

Archived