I don't know where to start?!

Woofyhugger

Hi Guys.

I'm Matt, and I'm an alcoholic. Oh sorry.. wrong forum.. ;)

I am a bit lost on where to start on my plight to return to the UK to live permanently.

A little about me. I was born in the UK (1971) and moved to Australia when I was 3 years old with my parents on their passport at the time (both parents have since passed on). I am now 38 and single with no family in Australia. I am also NOT an australian citizen, I just never felt a piece of paper would make me any more aussie than I already am. I am a permanent resident though, despite not being an australian citizen. (No one could ever tell.. I spill aussie slang every time I talk..)

I do not have a passport, as I have never left the country, not even for a holiday. Sad I know! But I have however seen everything Australia has to offer, and lived in most capital cities here. I'm bored here, and have a strong compulsion to go back to the UK and start afresh, I also have friends there, and some family I havent seen since I moved here many years ago.

My questions are.. where do I start in my quest to go back to the UK? Do I need to get a UK passport again? Once I get one, can I just "move back" and stay as long as I like because I am british national? Do I need other types of visas?

I just need to get the ball rolling with the documents that will allow me to move back.. but I am just completely lost.

Can someone please help me with some direction?

TIA.

Matt

Guest LondonGal
Hi Guys.

I am a bit lost on where to start on my plight to return to the UK to live permanently.

A little about me. I was born in the UK (1971) and moved to Australia when I was 3 years old with my parents on their passport at the time (both parents have since passed on). I am now 38 and single with no family in Australia. I am also NOT an australian citizen, I just never felt a piece of paper would make me any more aussie than I already am. I am a permanent resident though, despite not being an australian citizen. (No one could ever tell.. I spill aussie slang every time I talk..)

I do not have a passport, as I have never left the country, not even for a holiday. Sad I know! But I have however seen everything Australia has to offer, and lived in most capital cities here. I'm bored here, and have a strong compulsion to go back to the UK and start afresh, I also have friends there, and some family I havent seen since I moved here many years ago.

My questions are.. where do I start in my quest to go back to the UK? Do I need to get a UK passport again? Once I get one, can I just "move back" and stay as long as I like because I am british national? Do I need other types of visas?

I just need to get the ball rolling with the documents that will allow me to move back.. but I am just completely lost.

TIA.

Matt

I would think the most important thing you need to do is get a passport!:wink:

All the information you need for a UK one is here:

How to apply

If I were you I would also get Australian citizenship and an Australian passport before going anywhere as you may not like the UK.

If you leave Australia without an Aussie passport/citizenship you will need a RRV (resident return visa) but not sure how you go about applying for one.

Guest Guest31881
Hi Guys.

TIA.

Matt

Hi Matt,

My wife is Australian but her father was English, she applied for a British passport because of her Fathers nationality. She needed a copy of his birth certificate, (obtained from registry office in the town where he was born), and a copy of your birth certificate.

She did not need any further proof, filled the forms in from the British High commision in Canberra and received her passport within a couple of weeks. She did not need any other documents to enter the UK as the passport was proof enough. Once in the UK we went to the social services to arrange a 'national Insurance number. She lived in the UK with me for 7yrs untill we moved to Australia earlier this year. I hope this helps .

Colin

Guest Guest31881
I would think the most important thing you need to do is get a passport!:wink:

All the information you need for a UK one is here:

How to apply

If I were you I would also get Australian citizenship and an Australian passport before going anywhere as you may not like the UK.

If you leave Australia without an Aussie passport/citizenship you will need a RRV (resident return visa) but not sure how you go about applying for one.

Good point Londongal, he will definatly needs a way of getting back.

Hi Guys.

Thanks so much for the speedy replies and advice, it is very much appreciated. I didn't think about returning, I guess I was thinking I wouldn't ever, but it is a good idea to keep that option open should I need to.

Would I then travel to the UK on my british passport or australian passport? I am assuming british so I could stay as long as I liked? There wouldnt be any restrictions on my stay length would there? Considering I am british?

Cheers

Matt

Guest Guest31881
Hi Guys.

Thanks so much for the speedy replies and advice, it is very much appreciated. I didn't think about returning, I guess I was thinking I wouldn't ever, but it is a good idea to keep that option open should I need to.

Would I then travel to the UK on my british passport or australian passport? I am assuming british so I could stay as long as I liked? There wouldnt be any restrictions on my stay length would there? Considering I am british?

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

You will be able to stay as long as you like as a British citizen, also remember that holding a Full british passport will allow you to travel for holiday and work anywhere in the EEC, it is a British/European passport.

My wife uses her Australian Passport when leaving here, and shows her UK passport when she arrives in UK. and the other way around when coming back. it saves all the hassle and form filling.

Keep the option to return to Australia open, you may want to come back for a holiday, or you may not settle in the UK and decide to return. if you look at the threads about returning to UK, a lot come to Australia and after a few years decide to go back home, the same could happen to you.

Where in the UK are hoping to head for ? (just being nosey):jiggy:

Thanks again SRP.

Now I have to get funds ready for the passports which will no doubt cost a bit, and then the fun task of saving as much cash as I can for the move. I would like to head over with as much money as possible.

I have some friends in Manchester, so that will likely be where I go. Birmingham a close second. Also, said friends have offered some share accommodation in Manchester for as long as I need to get settled. That may help with initial costs of living. I work as a nurse, so finding work shouldn't be too difficult in the health field.

Cheers!

Matt

Oh how lucky you are Matt to have the option of a UK passport, I envy you. I too feel a compulsion to go to the UK but have no such claim since I was born here in Oz and will no doubt have to get lord knows what visa application merely to visit for a short while. It seems you don't have to be a Pom to be bored with Australia.

We need an Aussies in the UK site methinks, if only to balance out things.

Guest brummie39

Hiya,

Totaly agree Miz... Im an ausie in the u.k, and there is nothing here for any support or advice.

Here is my story, simuliar to Srp..

I have both australian and english passport, english through fathers decent, born in oz.

When you enter u.k, show your u.k pasport, and if you get oz passport, and if u decide to go back, you just show oz passport, just saves alot of hassle.

I would definatley get citizenship, it keeps your options open. Me truthly, absoultley hate it in u.k. I have been here 9 years nows, (got english hubby).

We are applying to go "home", as we have a child (7), we want him to grow up in oz. Just think it has more options for his future, then the u.k has to offer.

Best of luck with your move, hope it works out for you. Keep options open, you never know what life throws at you.

Brummie wife x

Guest flipflop

Matt, I suggest you take a holiday first to the UK mate, Like many Aussies that have never been outside of Oz (83%) you might find it is a strange world from what you are used to.

Guest caterham

Check with Oz immigration regarding returning to Oz, if you are not a citizen, you will need a RRV, Resident Return Visa, not always easy to get. Don't leave without checking first, or you may not get back in.

I am soon returning to Manchester, which I must say is not like it used to be!!!

Good luck

John

Thanks guys.

Yes, I don't expect the UK to be anything like what I am used to, which is part of the reason why I need to go. I need something in my life that is new, different, challenging, exciting.. and having lived just about everywhere here in Oz, I'm ready to move on, and have established a lot of friends over in the UK, not to mention a brother and his family I haven't seen.

I am actually getting really confused with all this, maybe more so than I need to be.

What's the difference between a british citizen and a british national? And do I have right of adobe? (I think that means I am allowed to live in the UK by right? I could be wrong?) I moved here (Oz) when I was 3 years old, both of my parents were also born in the UK.

Do I need a visa as well as a passport? (I have never travelled outside of Australia so I'm new to this travelling overseas thing).

I really do not know what documentation I need to follow up.. or what kind of visa (if any) I will need to return.

Will I need to apply for permanent residency again in the UK?

I think I need some headache pills. ;)

Cheers

Matt

Guest Guest31881

You would be a British Citizen, Born in UK with Biritish parents. you will be able to apply for a British passport. You do not need a visa, once you get your British Passport. This gives you full right of abode and as it is also a European Passport you are allowed to Travel, enter and work in any country belonging to the EEC, as you are of British parantage and born in UK, you will have no problem, if you contact the British High commision they will send you the forms and details of costs.

Guest Guest31881
Colin, I love you and we're getting married... or I can just buy you a beer or two.

Cheers mate.

Matt

Thanks for the offer but the wife said i cannot get married again. so I will settle for the beer :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys.. just wondering.. is there a minimum bank account balance required for entry into the UK for the purpose of living permanently?

Hi woofy

We are heading back to the Uk and we have not had to provide any financial documents to head back, its your country mate (you are a british citizen), skint or not, they let everyone else in with no money LOL, so why not you!!!!!!

The only problem you may come across is NI (National insurance) you will still be eligible to recieve NHS if you become ill, but (i think) there becomes a problem when retiring if not enough NI contributions have been made!!!!

I am looking in toi this at the mo, and will keep you posted of my findings!!!!

Hope this helps

Possie:biggrin:

Hey Possie.

Thanks for that. I didnt think there was any requirement for citizens seeing as we can work straight away and such, unrestricted. I heard there is a minimum requirement or there abouts for those travelling on visas, so wasnt sure if that applied to UK passport holders.

I have a bit before I can retire yet, so plenty of time to make contributions I guess, I think there is a safety net though, for those who can't or havent made enough contributions though, just from skimming online information.

Cheers

Matt

Hey Possie.

Thanks for that. I didnt think there was any requirement for citizens seeing as we can work straight away and such, unrestricted. I heard there is a minimum requirement or there abouts for those travelling on visas, so wasnt sure if that applied to UK passport holders.

I have a bit before I can retire yet, so plenty of time to make contributions I guess, I think there is a safety net though, for those who can't or havent made enough contributions though, just from skimming online information.

Cheers

Matt

Hey Matt,

I guess if you apply for your British Passport here through the "British Embassy" you will have no restrictions on entering or leaving the Uk!!!! However you would have a problem getting back into OZ (so do be careful)You must of had a Uk passport when you were brought to Oz , but did it have an "residency visa in it"?????

I have just had my daughters passport replaced and got the visa stamped in it. So I am not sure if this is an option, however you do have to return to Oz within a certain time scale to re-validate the visa.

We then decided on Citizenship and we now have 2 passports each, therefore giving us the "best of both worlds". Who knows if our kids, or even us may wanna return one day, gotta keep your options open I suppose!!!!

First and formost get your Uk passport, then when you have tackled that find out were you stand with your visa, make sure you are able to return tho.

You dont wanna be stuck in The UK, thinkin OHHH sh*t i need to get back to Oz, then you gotta start applying for residency and believe me it is a nightmare, as someone said. "australia is closing its doors" You will need a golden ticket mate.

Good luck with it all

Possie:jiggy:

Hey Possie,

I am a permanent resident in oz, I've been here for over 30 years now, came over with my parents when I was a toddler and on my dads passport.

I'll get a returning resident visa to come back to australia, I have to return within 3 years, (you have to reapply for residency if you are gone for 3 to 5+ years I think? though buy then I will have decided where I want to live.

Cheers

Matt

Hi guys maybe some one can help me out. I was born in U.K. came here when 10. My adult passport British has expired and was stamped with perminent residency. I have not applied for Aussie citizenship as yet. I but think i may have to for keeping options open. I want to return to U.K. next year for holiday with view to staying there perminently. I have 2 kids born in Oz 5yrs an 16yrs old. What is the best situation to put them in re passports and can my 5 yr old have own passport? If he goes on mine which one ??? Should i get us all a British and an Oz one to play it safe and what is the time frame for sorting all that out??? Thanks any help appreciated. Just dont know were to start!!!!!

For you, if you want to be guaranteed re-entry you will need to be an Aussie citizen, or at the very least make sure you have a resident return visa. Being a citizen allows you to come and go as you please. There are limits to how long you can stay outside of Oz before you lose your PR status, I think it's 3 years.

Your kids. In Australia and the UK, Children must have their own passport and can no longer be adder to their parents. I believe your 16 year old will need an adult passport.

If you want the best situation, get them dual nationality and dual passports. Time frame to sort it out can be months! Especially if you balls up any applications and waiting for citizenship. It'll also be quite expensive.

(PS.) You'd likely get more replies if you posted in a new thread not the end of someone elses. Cheers

Woofy.

Guest treesea

Getting a national insurance number when you first get back is a pain. You need one to be able to work, but the DWP have got a bee in their bonnet that, as soon as you get an NI number, you'll go on the dole. I too left before I turned 16 so didn't have this wondrous card at the time of leaving the UK. We ended up going to the HMRC and getting temporary numbers off them, telling them that because the DWP weren't giving us NI cards, so we could work legally, we'd have to work "under the table" and not pay tax. They were quite helpful.

Don't let the DWP fob you off. We let them fob us off because we didn't know what was going on. Just keep going up the chain until you get your NI number. You're entitled to one. It's hardly our fault we were whisked off to a foreign country when we were too young to get an NI number, is it!

Archived