Car prices

k8bug79

I wonder if you can help. We are nowehere near ready to come out but are investigating everything before we commit. We have today been looking at cars. We currently have a Kia Sportage 10 years old amost, which we reckon would be worth about £1500 here so we reckon we'll get closer to a £1K by the time we try to sell it. We have recently had our 3rd child so really this car is too small for us anyway and we have been looking at gettingthe Kia Sedona. Well on googling used cars in Australi it is saying that a Kia Sedona 2000 is about $8K (£4K) yet here in the Uk it would be about £2K. I kep reading about how difficult it is to ship cars and so financially unvialble and taht car prices are the same over in Oz as here, yet everywhere we look there is a huge difference in price. I even read that new cars were cheaper in Oz than the UK but again on comparisson this is not the case. Am I just looking in the wrong place or do we really need to try and find another few grand to buy a car that has 100s of thousands of miles on the clock??????

What you are looking at is right, 2nd hand car prices are wayyyyy higher here!

Check out Used Cars - New Cars - Search New & Used Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au or Used Cars & New Cars for Sale | Car Sales | Car Reviews | www.drive.com.au

On the plus side they don't rust so despite their age this look good but obviously there's still plenty of k's on the clock and given the distances involved here, may well be higher than you would expect in the UK.

As a guide we bought an 8 yr old Kia Rio hatchback cost $7000 (good nick, lows K's for age) and a 6 yr old Honda CRV Sport (5dr station wagon as called here again good nick but pretty high K's) for $18000!

For new cars, look at the dealership websites but remember the prices are starting points only, prices are negotiable but on top you will also have quite a few fees.

Lyn

Hi, having travelled around OZ a fair bit , would say the places to pick up a cheap car when you first arrive are the backpacker hostels, often dozens of cars for sale at each one, just make sure its registred in the state your moving to or you,ll need to get a roadworthiness ( stiff m.o.t) on it, people who are flying out tommorow at 6 will sell the car for anything they can get -)

Guest flipflop

I have found since being here that cars are far cheaper than in Oz espcially second hand cars, could you not buy a secondhand car that is a coupkle of years old and ship it to Australia?

I have found since being here that cars are far cheaper than in Oz espcially second hand cars, could you not buy a secondhand car that is a coupkle of years old and ship it to Australia?

Thats what we have been looking at. Like I said our Sportage would only get £1K here, we have been looking to get a Sedona but are waiting for a lump sum due to us at the end of the year or March to upgrade to one that is about £3K. But this money would be better spent on flights etc as theya re going to be har to save for over here. But if we sell ou car and pitch up with £1K and try and find a people carrier we will get nothing by the looks of it!!! Did wonder whether it was better to buy us the car over here, would we really spend the extra £2K getting it over there (we got a quote for our sportage of £1k shipping but its all the other charges over there)

Archived