Any job will do

tuckerfa

Hi all,

I've seen a lot about skilled workers on this site (joiners, brickies etc) and how it can be quite difficult getting a job. We are coming over on the wifes qualifications (staff nurse), so one of us will be in work straight away.

I have no intention of doing in Oz what I do here for a living, if I can help it. I'm quite happy to take just about any low skilled job on offer. How easy are these to come by? Like working in Woolworths, being a postie, refuse collector etc.

Any input/insight will do.

Thanks

The Tuckers :D

Guest Nelson

Melbourne seems to be a different matter all together.. Even quite menial jobs seem to attract huge numbers of applicants and the recruitment process to work in some of the large stores like Cole, Myers etc. is verging on the ridiculous. Thankfully, we both have brilliant jobs but they were not easy to come by. CalNgary's experiences seem to be the polar opposite of ours!!! Nursing is very much in demand and that wouldn't be a problem almost anywhere in Victoria but for those seeking any old job, I would prepare for the long haul...

Guest tracy hunt

Hello Krista

Any idea about Plumber jobs in Melbourne. We are looking at the Mornington Peninsular.

I've read a few of your posts where you have talked about the job situation in Melbourne and it is good to know all the facts (even if it's not good) but I'm abit worried now about finding work in Melbourne for Bradley.

Tracy xx

Guest Nelson

Hi Tracy.. I don't want to sound negative here.. There ARE jobs advertised in abundance but if you don't have any links or connections whatsoever, I would thoroughly research the possibilities well before you get on the plane. Take a look at some of the new home builders and try contacting them directly.. Metricon, Burbank, Simmonds etc. all sub-contract their work out whereas Porter Davies have an in-house team..

Personally, I think a large helping of luck will be as crucial as all the experience and certificates you bring with you!! We have found that it is very much a "not WHAT you know, but WHO you know culture"..

I'd be interested to hear if other people agree..

Guest fatpom
Hi all,

I've seen a lot about skilled workers on this site (joiners, brickies etc) and how it can be quite difficult getting a job. We are coming over on the wifes qualifications (staff nurse), so one of us will be in work straight away.

I have no intention of doing in Oz what I do here for a living, if I can help it. I'm quite happy to take just about any low skilled job on offer. How easy are these to come by? Like working in Woolworths, being a postie, refuse collector etc.

Any input/insight will do.

Thanks

The Tuckers :D

Provided you stick with the metro areas, you'll likely find something you want although money may not be too good. Outside metro areas then lady luck will have to play a big part I'm afraid... locals come first.

As a general rule Aussies will give you a go if you show willing.

Thanks for the great replies.

We were thinking of moving to the Gold Coast area. Places like Arundel, Carrara, Nerang, Robina, Southport or places like that.

Like I said I'll do anything, even if the money isn't the best as long as it pays the household bills, the rent/mortage will be covered by the wifes wage with some let over for savings etc we'll be fine.

Archived