Can I set myself up in business?

Purple Princess

Hi all,

OH starts uni in Brisbane in Feb 2010 and I need to know whether I can set myself up in business when here semester starts.

If I can, am I still limited to only working 20 hrs a week or is there no restrictions if I employ an Aussie to carry out my labouring jobs, I have been using contracted labour in the UK for many years but I am not to sure on the working methods/ideals in what will be our new home country.Or would I be better off purchasing an existing business?

Any help would really help,thanks in advance

Rich:confused:

Guest neilalys

i know its the 20hrs a week thats hard, but ive already got some renovation work lined up around 8 weeks at 20 hrs , but cant find anywhere if you can employ or sub workers tried, ive tried tax people and diac, no joy, so im just getting a tax number and start on my own , and try to find out when im there and running,

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi RichSalt

Have you investigated/asked about Business Skills visas, at all?

Business - Visas & Immigration

Australian Business Skills Entry Booklet

I have just told you everything I know about them - ie they exist but I don't know anything else about them besides this.

You say that your Partner will be studying at Brisbane University. At what level? If she is doing a Masters or Doctourate by research then you can work for unlimited hours per week:

Postgraduate Research Sector: Temporary Visa (Subclass 574) - Assessment Level 1

Higher Education Sector: Temporary Visa (Subclass 573) - Assessment Level 1

A third possibility for you is that you might become eligible for a subclass 845 visa:

Established Business in Australia (Subclass 845)

Take a very close look at the Points test for it, though:

Established Business in Australia (Subclass 845)

It is not a common visa but it is not so uncommon that there is no point in its existence.

Cheers

Gill

Guest meganhannah
Not sure about that but I do know that to set yourself up as a builder you need to jump through a lot of hoops.

Hey there

Do you know what hoops you need to jump through lol. Husband a builder and just wondering what he needs, the only thing I know is he needs a health and saftey card (blue card) but do you know what else.

Thanks

Jo

Hey there

Do you know what hoops you need to jump through lol. Husband a builder and just wondering what he needs, the only thing I know is he needs a health and saftey card (blue card) but do you know what else.

Thanks

Jo

Just my experiences in QLD.

To be a subbie you will need a builders license, different licenses for each building type, how many, how high, bla bla bla. You will not be able to operate without one, you cannot advertise for work and even if you get some cash work there are so many grasses out there the odds are you will be caught.

You can work without a license but you can only do jobs upto $1500 wich is as much use as t!ts on a man.

Info on licenses here

Current Licence Classes

Guest meganhannah
Just my experiences in QLD.

To be a subbie you will need a builders license, different licenses for each building type, how many, how high, bla bla bla. You will not be able to operate without one, you cannot advertise for work and even if you get some cash work there are so many grasses out there the odds are you will be caught.

You can work without a license but you can only do jobs upto $1500 wich is as much use as t!ts on a man.

Info on licenses here

Current Licence Classes

Thanks for that info, gosh ut looks like a minefield, now know what you mean! If initially you aim to eork for someone do you just need the card done through Blue dog training (health and saftey card)

Thanks jo

Thanks for that info, gosh ut looks like a minefield, now know what you mean! If initially you aim to eork for someone do you just need the card done through Blue dog training (health and saftey card)

Thanks jo

Best to get it, its easy enough and you can get it online before you arrive. Some small subbies dont ask for one but if the site gets a visit then you and the boss will get fined.

Also as sson as you have the TFN (tax file number) you can get an ABN (Aus' Business Number) online, this lets you work as self employed (sole trader) and you can invoice the employer full amount and you are liable to pay your own tax. Some subbies wont take you on unless you have an ABN (cant be arsed with paying your tax).

ABN Application online

https://abr.gov.au/abrweb/default.aspx?pid=76&sid=1&outcome=13

Note: I'm not a tax expert so please check the websites carefully.

Guest patience

I've been thinking of the same thing as my OH will be working in IT and I like to be my own boss, haven't worked for someone for a long time, so don;t fancy going into the work I'm qual' for, working for someone else. Although I wont need to work I would like to set up a little business to keep my independance.:jiggy:

I've been thinking of the same thing as my OH will be working in IT and I like to be my own boss, haven't worked for someone for a long time, so don;t fancy going into the work I'm qual' for, working for someone else. Although I wont need to work I would like to set up a little business to keep my independance.:jiggy:

Independence is the key,I was a happily employed engineer 15 years ago and then I had the rug pulled from under my feet,the security was gone of a regular income,a regular 9 to 5 working life was gone so I ,along with my wife decided that I should set up on myself.

Yes it was hard and things didn't come easily, but now we have decided to do it all again but only this time we are going to be doing it in different circumstances and in a different country where we have no safety net as we have in the UK.

My wife has given up her job as a financial advisor,and I have relinquished my contracts as a self employed contractor which through the years has paid very well ,to now go down the route of sacrificing our comfy lifestyle to try and build a better life for our family which we would never of done had we stayed in the UK as such good salaries are hard to give up when your circumstances will hardly change.

We are now looking forward to facing new challenges,whether they be making new friends or settling into different surroundings,but we are prepared to put the hard miles in to secure a better life for our family as you only get one life so you have to seize the moment with both hands and run with it!!

Guest patience

Go for it. Its a scarry step to take at first, but will be worth it.

I gave up a very cushy civil service job and went self employed years ago. It was the best career move I ever made financially and emotionally. It doesn't scare me being self employed in Oz, its just about finding out the system and going throu the motions of setting it all up and not getting stressed about it, everything will work out in the end. And how nice to look out the window in the morning to blue sky's and some time on the beach, ect etc........

Archived