My visits to Perth primary schools

3go2Perth

Well we have been here a couple of weeks & have visited a number of primary schools. I thought that others might find this useful.

Our daughter is a bright 10 y/o, so we're looking for a good primary school, and to know that she would later go to a high school with a good reputation.

One other thing to note before I start is that about 7 years ago, the school starting age changed, which means that all primary schools currently have a small cohort for year 7. This has an impact on the distribution of children in classes in this year's year 7, and often for years 4, 5 & 6 as well, and probably years 8 & 9 next year.

We had started off looking at the Woodvale area as that is those schools are talked about so highly on PIO. It is a truly lovely area – beautiful homes, but hubby & I both want to be able to commute to the CBD for finding work, and to me, it's too far. So we started a looking a little closer to town.

Mount Hawthorn Primary School

We started with this school because we liked the Mount Hawthorn area – it has a nice main street.

The facts:

Children: 585

Classes per year: 2

Children per class: 25-26

High school: Shenton College which has a great reputation locally, Churchlands or Mount Lawley

Out of school activities: organised by parents

After school club: on site, run by OSCA (if you want to google it) and is very popular.

Swimming lessons: At Beatty Park (a fab leisure centre with 4 pools!) in February each year

ICT: 2 ICT suites

Stability of Management: The principle has been there for 2 years and used to work at Subiaco (see below)

LOTE (language other than English for lessons): Italian

Other: There is a bridge over the main road for the children to use when walking to school; focus on community; quite music focussed, with a large (65 member) band; They have recently amalgamated the jnior & senior parts of the school, which gave them more resources & they've had a big refurbishment.

Overall: Lovely school, lovely area.

West Leederville Primary School

Just south of Mount Hawthorn, serving Leederville & West Leederville suburbs.

Children: 280

Classes per year: split (eg: year 5/6 and year 6/7)

Children per class: 26-28

High school: Shenton College

After school club: Yes (a whopping $29 per DAY!)

Swimming lessons: At Beatty Park in Feb

ICT: ICT suite plus 2 PCs per classroom

Stability of Management: The principle has been there for 1 year, following a succession of acting principles. Not an inspiring individual.

LOTE: Italian, I think

Other: Focus on community (they have 'Fizzy Friday' when the mums meet in the park opposite the school on a Friday afternoon “with a few bottles”!!!) and the dads meet at the local pub on a Monday); Quite sporting, big on the Triathlon; they are just starting a redecoration programme and are getting funding from the government Fiscal Stimulus for a new music & arts block. The principle said they came 4th out of the Perth schools for attainment... I find it hard to believe though!

Overall: OK, but not as good as the others.

Subiaco Primary School:

Just to the west of West Leederville. A beautiful neighbourhood with a great 'cafe culture' feel.

Children: 490

Children per class: 32

After school club: Yes, on site. The principle seemed a little concerned at their supervision, though. Not sure what he meant.

Swimming lessons: They have their own pool which they use for the younger children. Older ones go to Cottesloe Beach in Feb

ICT: An ICT suite, plus others on trolleys that they move around the school as needed

Stability of Management: The principle has been there for 10 years. Very professional.

LOTE: Italian

Other: Classed as a 'level 7' (of 8) for socio/economic classification (ie: quite rich!). Music, arts, sports... all great. Being repainted / refurbed, with more building on the way.

Overall: Absolutely fabulous school... if only we could afford to live in the neighbourhood!

Scarborough Primary School

Nearer to the beach, and close to where we are staying now

Children: 176

Classes per year: split 4/5, 5/6/7 (not many year 7's this year)

Children per class: 22-24

High school: Claremont (not heard of this one)

Out of school activities: organised by parents, but not much

After school club: No

Swimming lessons: Clarement, in Dec

ICT: 1 computer per desk of 4 children in the classrooms.

Stability of Management: Principle has been there 1 year, the deputy for 4

LOTE: Japanese

Other: Described as 'not very sporty'. A very strong focus on the school ethos of co-operation and focus on behaviour improvement and the 'whole person'. The Deputy teaches the oldest children for 2 days a week, with another male teacher doing the other 3 days. A good focus on the basics.

Overall: Much smaller (schools less than 250 children apparently get less funding) and it shows. Far less in the way of facilities, but a lovely atmosphere.

Newborough Primary School

On the other side of Scarborough.. just 2km from the beach in an area with plenty of houses for sale.. a good mix of old & new, too.

Children: 275

Classes per year: split 4/5, 5/6, but next year when the current year 7s are gone it'll be a straight 1 class per year

Children per class: 24-26

High school: Corrine (mentioned favourably on PIO in the past)

After school club: A choice of 3, one of which will be on site from next term

Swimming lessons: Craigie Leisure Centre, in Dec

ICT: computer suite, regularly refreshed

Stability of Management: Principle has been there for 13 years

Other: Another school getting Fiscal Stimulus money for new buildings.. a new music & arts building, plus a new Kindy building. Walking bus to school. Lots of parents involved with the school (running the canteen etc)

Overall: Lovely atmosphere, ticks all the boxes.

I hear locally that Floreat Primary School & Wembley Primary School are also very good, and over the magic 250 pupils size that gives additional resources. We didn't end up visiting these, though.

Well I hope that helps, PIOers! Apologies for the long post, but if you're still reading this far, then presumably you're interested :cute:

All the best

J

• 2 weeks later...
Well we have been here a couple of weeks & have visited a number of primary schools. I thought that others might find this useful.

Our daughter is a bright 10 y/o, so we're looking for a good primary school, and to know that she would later go to a high school with a good reputation.

One other thing to note before I start is that about 7 years ago, the school starting age changed, which means that all primary schools currently have a small cohort for year 7. This has an impact on the distribution of children in classes in this year's year 7, and often for years 4, 5 & 6 as well, and probably years 8 & 9 next year.

We had started off looking at the Woodvale area as that is those schools are talked about so highly on PIO. It is a truly lovely area – beautiful homes, but hubby & I both want to be able to commute to the CBD for finding work, and to me, it's too far. So we started a looking a little closer to town.

Mount Hawthorn Primary School

We started with this school because we liked the Mount Hawthorn area – it has a nice main street.

The facts:

Children: 585

Children per class: 25-26

High school: Shenton College which has a great reputation locally, Churchlands or Mount Lawley

After school club: on site, run by OSCA (if you want to google it) and is very popular.

Swimming lessons: At Beatty Park (a fab leisure centre with 4 pools!) in February each year

ICT: 2 ICT suites

Stability of Management: The principle has been there for 2 years and used to work at Subiaco (see below)

LOTE (language other than English for lessons): Italian

Other: There is a bridge over the main road for the children to use when walking to school; focus on community; quite music focussed, with a large (65 member) band; They have recently amalgamated the jnior & senior parts of the school, which gave them more resources & they've had a big refurbishment.

Overall: Lovely school, lovely area.

West Leederville Primary School

Just south of Mount Hawthorn, serving Leederville & West Leederville suburbs.

Children: 280

Classes per year: split (eg: year 5/6 and year 6/7)

Children per class: 26-28

After school club: Yes (a whopping $29 per DAY!)

Swimming lessons: At Beatty Park in Feb

ICT: ICT suite plus 2 PCs per classroom

Stability of Management: The principle has been there for 1 year, following a succession of acting principles. Not an inspiring individual.

LOTE: Italian, I think

Other: Focus on community (they have 'Fizzy Friday' when the mums meet in the park opposite the school on a Friday afternoon “with a few bottles”!!!) and the dads meet at the local pub on a Monday); Quite sporting, big on the Triathlon; they are just starting a redecoration programme and are getting funding from the government Fiscal Stimulus for a new music & arts block. The principle said they came 4th out of the Perth schools for attainment... I find it hard to believe though!

Overall: OK, but not as good as the others.

Subiaco Primary School:

Just to the west of West Leederville. A beautiful neighbourhood with a great 'cafe culture' feel.

Children: 490

Children per class: 32

After school club: Yes, on site. The principle seemed a little concerned at their supervision, though. Not sure what he meant.

Swimming lessons: They have their own pool which they use for the younger children. Older ones go to Cottesloe Beach in Feb

ICT: An ICT suite, plus others on trolleys that they move around the school as needed

Stability of Management: The principle has been there for 10 years. Very professional.

LOTE: Italian

Other: Classed as a 'level 7' (of 8) for socio/economic classification (ie: quite rich!). Music, arts, sports... all great. Being repainted / refurbed, with more building on the way.

Overall: Absolutely fabulous school... if only we could afford to live in the neighbourhood!

Scarborough Primary School

Nearer to the beach, and close to where we are staying now

Children: 176

Classes per year: split 4/5, 5/6/7 (not many year 7's this year)

Children per class: 22-24

High school: Claremont (not heard of this one)

Out of school activities: organised by parents, but not much

After school club: No

Swimming lessons: Clarement, in Dec

ICT: 1 computer per desk of 4 children in the classrooms.

Stability of Management: Principle has been there 1 year, the deputy for 4

Other: Described as 'not very sporty'. A very strong focus on the school ethos of co-operation and focus on behaviour improvement and the 'whole person'. The Deputy teaches the oldest children for 2 days a week, with another male teacher doing the other 3 days. A good focus on the basics.

Overall: Much smaller (schools less than 250 children apparently get less funding) and it shows. Far less in the way of facilities, but a lovely atmosphere.

Newborough Primary School

On the other side of Scarborough.. just 2km from the beach in an area with plenty of houses for sale.. a good mix of old & new, too.

Children: 275

Classes per year: split 4/5, 5/6, but next year when the current year 7s are gone it'll be a straight 1 class per year

Children per class: 24-26

High school: Corrine (mentioned favourably on PIO in the past)

After school club: A choice of 3, one of which will be on site from next term

Swimming lessons: Craigie Leisure Centre, in Dec

ICT: computer suite, regularly refreshed

Stability of Management: Principle has been there for 13 years

Other: Another school getting Fiscal Stimulus money for new buildings.. a new music & arts building, plus a new Kindy building. Walking bus to school. Lots of parents involved with the school (running the canteen etc)

Overall: Lovely atmosphere, ticks all the boxes.

I hear locally that Floreat Primary School & Wembley Primary School are also very good, and over the magic 250 pupils size that gives additional resources. We didn't end up visiting these, though.

Well I hope that helps, PIOers! Apologies for the long post, but if you're still reading this far, then presumably you're interested :cute:

All the best

J

Shenton college get yer cheque book out , this is oz its a big place commute is a way of life , housing is verry expensive nearer the cbd the outer burbs are less than 40 mins out of the cbd in all the directiions

Cheers for the info,my wife is about to start teaching in WA this Jan.

Sounds like the facilities are a bit better than she's used to in the U.K.

Regards,

Dave T

• 5 months later...
Guest toffee68

Hi there

Excellent post and great info!! Can you let us know which school you settled on in the end and has your impression changed in the last few months?

We are moving out in April and have 4 little'uns... The two eldest should be in years 2 & 3 over there (years 2 & 4 over here)

We are also looking at Floreat and Wembley Downs as well as Newborough. Did you also look at Deanmore??

Thanks

Robbie

Hi there

I've replied on another thread to give this website, but in case it helps anyone, here it is again.. the new MySchool website that the department of education has recently launched. Quite useful!

Find a school | ACARA

In terms of which school we ended up picking, I'd rather not say on here. (Sorry - I have reason to be cautious). I can say, though, that I have visited a couple of other schools since for swimming practise and music lessons, and they all seem particularly well organised and with good facilities. Personally I'd say go for a school with a decent number of kids (>250) as they will have better facilities due to more investment, but there are so many decent schools that we ended up deciding where we wanted to live (shops / restaurants / proximity to CBD & beach) & then just double checked the school was up to the standard of the others we'd seen.

Cheers

J

Archived