MODL Regulation Changes Coming!!!!!!!!!!!

deb8181

Sorry folks

Just seen this on an advert for Octobers Emigrate magazine - not news some of you want to hear.

Good luck to all of yous still waiting and lets hope your visa comes through sooner rather than later!! :unsure:

Emigrate Now - MODL reduction possible

The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship has released a report into the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL) highlighting likely changes, including a considerable reduction in the number of occupations eligible for MODL points, writes John Adams.

Given that 73 per cent of independent skilled visa applicants (subclass 175) require MODL points to reach the pass mark for a visa, this change could significantly affect the options available to many migrants wishing to qualify for permanent residency. Prospective migrants may wish to contact a registered migration agent to seek further information on their visa options and how to protect themselves against upcoming MODL regulation changes that may adversely affect them.

The October issue of Emigrate magazine, on sale Thursday 17 September, will cover this subject in greater depth

John Adams is a registered migration agent at Immigration2Oz.com: www.immigration2oz.com

The timing of any changes to the MODL and the effect on applicants, will need to be carefully managed given the large numbers of onshore students studying towards MODL occupations. So I would be reasonably confident that whatever changes take place will not be implemented overnight, and certainly not as soon as the review is completed, so although the review is certainly something to take account of it should not be regarded as a major negative change to the processing of applications, and in fact it might be that conclusion of the review could allow the many banked-up non MODL applications to be processed rationally. The Critical Skills List has been described as a short-term solution and the MODL is seen as a long-term instrument relative to the needs of Australia now and in 5 years time, however the management of the MODL has many serious planning implications and I would assume that one outcome of the review would be to formalise the processes rather than move to quick outcomes.

The following principles for discussion in submissions, as listed in the issues paper, are what the review is really about, and this is as you can see some way from implementing a changed MODL:

Do you support the proposed MODL principles?

i) The MODL targets skills of high economic value to Australia

ii) The MODL complements domestic skills supply and maximises skill

utilisation

iii) The MODL is prospective

iv) The MODL should not be driven by short term employment cycles

v) The MODL needs to take account of other migration arrangements

(vi) The MODL is evidence based and underpinned by a robust and

transparent methodology

Finally, worth bearing in mind that anyone with two bob's worth has until tomorrow, formally, to make a submission. Happy to provide links to the issues paper and submission mechanism if anyone interested.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi,

Do you think we should submit our visa application then? I am slightly worried now that our occupation is going to taken off the list! Basically we've sent off for SS to WA and was going to wait until we got that back before applying for the 176 incase for whatever reason we didn't get accepted.

Thanks

Becki

Hi George/Alan,

What would be your view on how this will affect current CSL applicants? What do you think the effect will be on our applications, should the CSL be removed before a visa is granted? I am concerned about accountants in particular.

Thanks

Shaz

Becki,

Nothing in the review of MODL is going to affect state sponsorship priority. WA is a fantastic place, go for it.

Shaz,

Currently if they remove an occupation from the CSL they down tools on all affected applications at the very same time, which is why state sponsorship has been so popular.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Thanks George,

What I'm worried about though is without occupation being on the MODL we won't have enough points for state sponsorship anymore. If we apply now and our occupation is taken off the list in future will they still assess it from how the list was on our application date?

Thanks

Becki,

I recognise it is not my money, but the longer you delay lodging an application the more likely it is that you will be affected by any changes to the MODL.

In any event, I recall the points for MODL occupation are based on the MODL pertaining when the visa application is lodged, not when it is assessed. George may be able to confirm this.

Remember also that you can lodge a subclass 175 application, and move across to a 176 as and when you secure State or Territory Sponsorship.

Best regards.

Hearing this news really depressed me, my fiance changed jobs a year ago, partially to improve his chances of getting a visa through the CSL - and now when he has his 12 months experience and we can start his ACS application we hear the goal posts are being moved!

I've read the report into the MODL on DIAC's website (v v v v v v boring!!!) and essentially the MODL isn't reacting quick enough to Australia's needs and the CSL isn't addressing the problem - still too many accountants applying and not enough other people! Lol, the report says Oz is keen to attract skills which require a high level of education and skills which require a lot of experience and time to acquire - but it wants lots of young people to support Oz's increasingly ageing population - bit of a contradiction there!

I guess we're still winning with the age thing as we're still the right side of 30, so think we're just going to press ahead and see what happens!

Shaz,

Currently if they remove an occupation from the CSL they down tools on all affected applications at the very same time, which is why state sponsorship has been so popular.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Thanks for that George. It is so disappointing, as I got my application in as soon as I could whilst on the CSL, however, it may be removed before I am even allocated a CO! Seems pointless to have ever had it if only a small percentage of those on it got a visa as a result of it.

State sponsorship is not an option for me as I want to go to Brisbane, and accountants are not on the QLD list. Where does that leave me then, as I wont be priority at all? Should I consider employer sponsored? Can you go for this, meanwhile still leaving the 175 to be processed whenever they get to it, thereby not being tied to restrictions on the 457 as soon as your 175 comes through?

Thanks

Shaz

Shaz,

Speaking as one who emigrated (in 2001) as an accountant, our occupation has been in demand ever since I have been in involved in migration - save for a brief period around 2002/3 when the occupation was removed from the MODL for a few months. George might be able to affirm/add to this.

The reality is that occupations come and go from State Nomination lists with more frequency than the CSL (which is a relatively recent creation of the Minister).

In other words there are risks inherent in whatever strategy you adopt.

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

I think I will just wait with the 175, but keep an eye on QLD nomination list, and hope that accountants do appear on it in the future to allow me to apply for SS, although hoping that I will get my 175 in the meantime.

I know, I realise that there's risks with everything, as I intend to do my meds and PCC's soon, in advance of being allocated a CO in the hope that when they do pick it up, we are ready to be granted a visa. I just hope that will help it to get granted sooner, although there's a risk I do that, then become lower priority and then they expire. Oh, the uncertainty is killing me! Thats what makes me think a 475 may be a better option, but doubt I will be lucky enough to secure employer sponsorship at the moment.

Shaz

Hi Alan,

I think I will just wait with the 175, but keep an eye on QLD nomination list, and hope that accountants do appear on it in the future to allow me to apply for SS, although hoping that I will get my 175 in the meantime.

I know, I realise that there's risks with everything, as I intend to do my meds and PCC's soon, in advance of being allocated a CO in the hope that when they do pick it up, we are ready to be granted a visa. I just hope that will help it to get granted sooner, although there's a risk I do that, then become lower priority and then they expire. Oh, the uncertainty is killing me! Thats what makes me think a 475 may be a better option, but doubt I will be lucky enough to secure employer sponsorship at the moment.

Shaz

Thanks Shaz.

Note that the employer sponsored visa to which you are referring is a subclass 457 visa. Subclass 475 is the Skilled Regional Sponsored visa.

Hope that's not too pedantic of me!

Best regards.

Thanks Shaz.

Note that the employer sponsored visa to which you are referring is a subclass 457 visa. Subclass 475 is the Skilled Regional Sponsored visa.

Hope that's not too pedantic of me!

Best regards.

Thanks Alan,

But i feel the state sponsorship applicant got co quicker than CSL,But the finalization of the application is not fast compare the csl. Lot of assistant for CO on behalf collect the pending documents and no reply after getting the docs.Aprox how long will take time to final one applicant after the medical finalized.

Main application lodged:March 2009, Co: 14th april,

Medical ,pcc all docs sent,:May 5th.Visa grant ?????????

Archived