Migration Issues

oldjonah

Hi all

We (me, hubby and 2 rugrats) have just joined in the hope that you may shed some light on some issues for us :)

I am doing a degree radiography course at the moment and will be applying for a visa as soon as possible.

Do I have to have a years work experience even if I have a job offer?

How much does it cost to use a migration firm and would you use one or do it yourself?

Thanks all

Guest dave&donna

just thought i'd say hello and a big welcome because saw it was your first post.

Not an expert with different visas but somebody will have all the answers but i thought if you had a job offer then that's it. Obviously to get a job offer the company will know and be happy with your qualifications and experience, but for other visas you need more experience as well as qualifications.

If you're looking at job offers so sponsored employer visa then you probably won't need an agent but have a look on the immigration web site (www.immi.gov.au) and it'll give you more of an idea of the different routes you can look at and also show you if radiography is on the skills list. If you use an agent for the skilled visa then it's about £3000.

Good luck with everything and keep asking questions. :wubclub:

Donna x

• 2 years later...
Hi all

We (me, hubby and 2 rugrats) have just joined in the hope that you may shed some light on some issues for us :)

I am doing a degree radiography course at the moment and will be applying for a visa as soon as possible.

Do I have to have a years work experience even if I have a job offer?

How much does it cost to use a migration firm and would you use one or do it yourself?

Thanks all

Not that easy unfortunatelly. You do need work experience and also have to get your qualifications assessed. There are other matters such as your age that is part of the points test, do you want to say your age? If you have a job offer, would that employer be willing to sponsor you?

Cheers

Chris McGrath

Australian Migration Lawyer

Guest wanderer

Yes, as Chris says, you do need a minimum of 12 months experience as you can see from the points table on Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175) - specific experience as a no points mandatory requirement and from the table you can do a self assessment.

If you have a job offer [and radiographers like most medical professions are usually in high demand] , you'll probably not have a problem getting a job offer once you have the experience and if you do not score 120 points, you could look at state nomination for a state with Radiographer [or Medical Imaging Technologist as they are now referred to as in part ] on their nomination list with most likely to have it.

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176) , state nomination links on that page.

Radiographer & Medical Imaging are both used on SOL - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf P7. and AIR contact details on listing at rear - www.air.asn.au .

Having a state nomination will mean you only need 100 points and you get 10 for the nomination and all it means is you'll work in that state for two years.

An organisation offering you a job could be considering using an Employer Sponsored Visa 457 to get you to Australia - Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) but though that is a temporary visa and as such is not subject to a points test, you'll see that experience in your occupation is still a requirement.

The only possible way around that would I'd expect be an arrangement with the authorised asessment organisation, The Australian Institute of Radiography for you to be approved for working under supervision in what is known as the Professional Development Year [PDY] and DIAC accepting that to grant a visa.

In addition to being accredited with them, you would have up to two or more licensing requirements, a Medical Board Licence and also a Licence that is issued by State Departments of Health in respect to operating Radiographic Equipment because of the Radiative Exposure effect.

There may be slight variation state to state but the AIR is working towards standardising requirements Australian [and NZ] wide.

Any medical organisation proposing to sponsor you should first check with AIR on whether they will assess a foreign trained person to enter at PDY level and whether there is any understanding with DIAC for 457 approval without experience in the situation of radiographers.

You may also find that they could second a sponsor visa arrangement to an immigration agent and I've seen it happen recently where the IA was not even aware of State Medical Board Licensing Requirements and so a Radiographer was unable to work for a couple of months while his licence was sorted out, apparently the Medical Board even requiring a police check further to the one that had been done for the Visa, so something of a mess.

If the company is totally unaware of what is involved in you getting a visa [and that is quite possible] and there is no relaxation by AIR or DIAC and you are faced with getting your 12 months minimum experience before applying for a visa, you ought also be aware of the DIAC priority processing and so have a read of http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf and further changes are expected to be announced within the next couple of months but medical professions will I expect be seen to be something of a priority and having a state nomination will always likely help too.

To keep abreast of future changes, you can always check What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration for starters.

So a few things to absorb there and you can ask your job offerer exactly what they were proposing to do and what clearances if any they have sought.

Calm down, guys.

That is an old post from two and a half years ago you've dragged up, Chris.

I would imagine the OP has graduated , got her work experience and is here by now or else moved on with her life in some other way.

Whatever is happening in her life I very much doubt she is still logging in to read the posts.

Cheers,

Les

Dunno. You'd be better off asking Chris that rather than me. Perhaps he didn't notice the date either.

Maybe it's only pedantic sods like me who check absolutely everything.

I am relativelly new to this forum. Al forums are structered differently. And certaingly I hadent read the date. What a goose!!! Sorry re that, a lesson learned for me anyhow!

Guest wanderer

Les,

Dunno. You'd be better off asking Chris that rather than me. Perhaps he didn't notice the date either.

It was more a rhetorical statement to you Les, maybe senatorial rhetorical!

But Chris,

Where was oldjonah? or have you an interest in matters of film and searched re radiography.

Film is a bit old hat with radiography in the digital world these days too btw.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Since we all now agree that this is an old thread which is best not resurrected, I will now close it.

Cheers

Gill

Archived