Rentals in Brissie

Guest nev_n_angie

Guest nev_n_angie

I have been reading through some of the posts regarding lack of availability for rentals all over Australia - for all those in the know....

When we arrive in OZ we will be living in Canberra - because that's where we're being sent. We eventually want to end up in Brisbane to be near Brother in Law and his Family. Thought about buying investment properties in and around Canberra to rent out as extra income - BUT - judging by the interest rates and the lack of affordable housing - would we be able to sell them quickly to buy our home in Brissie (Not too sure if we're going to buy an estaablished home, or new build at this stage)?

The other idea is to buy our home in Brissie and rent it out for 2 or 3 years until we get the chance to get there?????

I hope this makes sense!? :twitcy:

PS - we will be given ADF housing when we get there and will not need to rent privately.

Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :unsure:

Angie

Guest Angelcake

Hi,

I'm still in the UK, but from what Ive read on here, rentals in Brisbane are hard to come by. There are lots of people on this forum (including me!) who are heading out to Brisbane and will be looking for a rental place for at least a year.

So, if I were in your position, I would buy something in Brisbane and rent out.

Angelcake

• 1 month later...

There are loads of rentals in Brisbane , I found hundreds. The problem is most furnished places are in the city and are in tower blocks, the burbs have lots of rentals but few are furnished and i dont want to commit to a 6 month contract without viewing in person Other issues like costs play a part too the ideal house in the ideal area= big bucks. We are going into a caravan/cabin for a 4 week stay while we do a good recce.

Brisbane holiday village and ashmore palms (southport ) do interim accomadation from about $300 per week for a min 4 week stay.

Guest Chrissy

Hi there, we are planning to rent somewhere like Wellington Point or Cleveland, do you know these areas? is it nice and much to do? if not, where do you suggest, I have baby of 18 months old. thanks

I have been reading through some of the posts regarding lack of availability for rentals all over Australia - for all those in the know....

When we arrive in OZ we will be living in Canberra - because that's where we're being sent. We eventually want to end up in Brisbane to be near Brother in Law and his Family. Thought about buying investment properties in and around Canberra to rent out as extra income - BUT - judging by the interest rates and the lack of affordable housing - would we be able to sell them quickly to buy our home in Brissie (Not too sure if we're going to buy an estaablished home, or new build at this stage)?

The other idea is to buy our home in Brissie and rent it out for 2 or 3 years until we get the chance to get there?????

I hope this makes sense!? :twitcy:

PS - we will be given ADF housing when we get there and will not need to rent privately.

Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :unsure:

Angie

Angie,

Is there a chance you could go to Brisbane after you post in Canberra? If not i would buy in Brisbane and let it out so that when you do leave the ADF you have at least a house to go to.

We are lucky we got Brisbane with the ADF :)

Tracey

Guest nev_n_angie

Hi Tracey

We intend to buy in Brisbane, but want to be in Country to see how things are with the rental market for the first few months.

It's a big deal as if we make a cock up, there's no going back!!! I think that investing in projects in UK is risky enough! I'm sure we'll have things sorted by Christmas, or shortly after - Hubbie's family live in Brissie, so it'll be nice settle there after the long ride in the ADF! We'll see how things go with his career and go from there!

Best of Luck - any news on your application so far??

Angie

Guest nev_n_angie

That's my Son's 15th Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck with everything and let me know how things go - we've got a while yet before we go, but I'm sure it'll pass quickly!

Take care

Angie

Hi there, we are planning to rent somewhere like Wellington Point or Cleveland, do you know these areas? is it nice and much to do? if not, where do you suggest, I have baby of 18 months old. thanks

Hi chrissie, these are both nice family orientated bayside suburbs - you should probably also add Ormiston to your suburb list..this is right next door to Cleveland. Thornlands is also adjacent to Cleveland with lots of new build homes but I find it kinda soulless. Life in the Redlands is fairly sedate but Cleveland has a nice town centre - train into the city takes I think about 40minutes so thats always an option if you're seeking more excitement!

Hiya Angie ,,i think if you were to buy a property now ,even if you did in the next year or so decide its not quite where you want to be ,i doubt youd lose out.A lot of areas in Brisbane are under demand and houses are being built at rate of knots,it would be hard to 'lose',i think youd do ok ,just wish we had enough cash to buy another,,good luck

Cal x

Archived