Advice please for getting parents to Oz?

Maz

Hi All,

We're leaving for Melbourne in 4 weeks and wondered if anyone could give me advice on my parents getting there aswell.

I am an only child so therefore meet the family balance requirement. Unfortunately they do not have the funds to get a contributory parent visa.

Can anyone confirm if it is possible to do the following and which type visas do they need to get:

Can they get some sort of long term tourist or temporary visa (around 12 months plus which allows them to buy property in Oz), stay on this visa a couple of times (know they will need to leave country then re-enter again to validate it each time) until we are able to start sponsoring them once we are 'settled residents' (not sure how long until we are classed as 'settled'). Once we've applied for their parent visa can they get a bridging visa until its issued (think this is about 7+ yrs).

I desperately need to get this all organised and get the ball rolling for them before we go in a few weeks as they can't use computers and are relying on me to do it.

Any advice please?:notworthy:

Maz x

• 5 months later...
Guest cattimm

Hi Maz,

my mum is 76 she has been visiting oz for years, on her last visit we went to an immigration agent and they sorted eveything out for her. She has got more children in oz than in the UK the visa is Aged parent subclass 804, she has now been issued a bridging visa and can return to the Uk when she wants but requires a visa to return to Australia- Depends on your parents age but worth checking Australian Immigration website-would srongly recommend agent ...hope this helps Cat...

Hi Cat

Thanks for your e-mail. My parents are here just now, 4 months into their years visa. They are planning on going back to the uk again in September, they are just renting their house out just now, waiting a few months then applying to come back to Oz just before christmas on a 3 month tourist visa then we will apply for their visa, i was planning on them applying for the 804, they are both 66 just now. Think i will take your advise though and use an agent for them the same as we did for us. How long did it take for your mum to get a bridging visa?

Cheers, Maz

Guest cattimm
Hi Cat

Thanks for your e-mail. My parents are here just now, 4 months into their years visa. They are planning on going back to the uk again in September, they are just renting their house out just now, waiting a few months then applying to come back to Oz just before christmas on a 3 month tourist visa then we will apply for their visa, i was planning on them applying for the 804, they are both 66 just now. Think i will take your advise though and use an agent for them the same as we did for us. How long did it take for your mum to get a bridging visa?

Cheers, Maz

Hi Maz,

apparently the visa can take upto 18 years to process, but my mom can stay idefinately whilst the visa is being sorted, she has just returned to the UK until May 2010 and the agent organised her bridging visa for her return. The bridging visa can be sorted out really quickly less than a week.. if your parents wanted to return home.-they will need birth certs,marriage certs, details of all children and complete police and health checks-the agent can even give advice on how they can get their pensions paid over here..

mom paid just over $2000 dollars but that includes fees for visa and agent fees it really is worth it because as you know how difficult sorting paperwork ect you can just sit back and wait for the agent to contact you..... but shop around for a good agent get a few quotes, check out what you are getting for the money!!

Good luck...Cat

Archived