Relocating to Brisbane?

Guest Jackie

Hi

I'm English and have decided to make beautiful Brisbane my home. If you are taking the plunge and moving to Brisbane please check out my website:

http://www.moveover.com.au

Emigrating is never easy but Brisbane is a fabulous place!

Good Luck to everyone

Jackie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
Guest Clairemurran

Hi There,

I am relocating to Brisbane in January on a 457 Business Visa. I have been offerred a salary of $70 000. I have two children one will be 4 when we go to Australia and the other will be almost 6.

Can anyone advise on the cost of schools for both, rent and general cost of living. I was looking at staying in Sandgate. What would my costs be and is this an expensive area.

Thanks so much

Hi Claire

Will you be the sole breadwinner? If you are on a Visa 457 you will not qualify for any childcare assistance or family assistance. Ordinarily, an Australian family on a salary of $70,000 would qualify for the family assistance tax relief. You may therefore struggle abit to keep to the standard of living you are used to in the UK. There may not be a school place available for the four year old as you have to turn 5 before 1 July in a school year (Jan - Dec) to qualify for a place in Prep. The almost 6 year old would probably be in Year 1. There is no free state funded nursery care for 3 or 4 year olds in Australia - a shock to the system when you've got used to getting 15 hours a week in the UK! You have to pay for school materials here (books and stationary) and school uniforms are more expensive as each school has its own printed polo shirts etc. You can buy shorts, trousers and skirts from dept stores like Kmart, Target and Big W to keep the cost down abit.

I would guess that a 3 bedroom rental in Sandgate would set you back around $400 a week but check out realestate.com.au or domain.com.au to check out currently available rental properties. Sandgate is a nice area and is very much up and coming. It's close to the water with good parks and amenities and a pleasant little shopping area. My sister in law lives in Sandgate and she and her husband really like it there. They have bought a complete wreck of a house fairly close to the seafront for (IMO) an extortionate amount of money but hopefully it will be nice when they have finished the renos..... There are alot of older wooden Qlder style properties which can look very attractive when done up but may be cold in winter as they are not very draught proof!

If you are in a rental you don't have to pay the rates and water rates as these are included in the rent. This just leaves electricity and, may be, gas to pay and your telephone/internet. Our average quarterly electricity bill is approximately $650 a quarter (family of 5) but we rarely use the air conditioning and are quite careful about switching off appliances. You can shop around for phone/internet deals. We are with Telstra which is quite expensive but the most reliable in the area in which we live. The other cost you may also want to incur is Foxtel broadband TV. This is around $100 a month. Car rego is expensive here and increases with the size of the engine in your car. I'd budget for about $700 per year for one car. The rego includes third party insurance. Fully comprehensive car insurance is about $50/month for an average family car. Home and contents insurance seems to be on a par with UK cost. Food shopping can be very expensive if you adopt the UK approach of going to do a one stop supermarket shop and buying ready meals. Over here, you shop around and often use independent greengrocers, butchers, bakeries etc to keep the cost down. We were Sainsburys and Waitrose shoppers in the UK but now do a mix of Coles, Woolworths and Aldi for dry goods and buy our meat and veg from independents. The only thing that is cheaper here is petrol.

Hope this information is useful.

Hi There,

I am relocating to Brisbane in January on a 457 Business Visa. I have been offerred a salary of $70 000. I have two children one will be 4 when we go to Australia and the other will be almost 6.

Can anyone advise on the cost of schools for both, rent and general cost of living. I was looking at staying in Sandgate. What would my costs be and is this an expensive area.

Thanks so much

Hi,

I live in Brighton, next door to Sandgate. The area is reall ynice, IMHO. You might get a rental of a 3 bedroom house for 400$, but maybe not with a garage, or a nice deck. Check out the real estate websites to get a guide.

The great thing about Sandgate is that you're close to the shore. There is a kind of beach. I mean, offically it's sand, but not many people sunbathe or swim there. Great for kids and sandcastles though. And Sandgates got a pool on the front too. It's got a rail station if you're commuting into town for work. All in all, I think the only reason I wouldn't choose it is if you're working over the river.

Archived