To validate visa

KIRK AND CO

We need to validate visa by the 28th oct 2009 as police & meds run out so when you enter oz & have your visa stamped but you are not planning to stay there as it is only a valudation trip do you need to return to uk within a set period of time ? or once visa stamped you can stay or go but knowing within 5 years you have activly need to stay in oz for 2 years on a 176ss.

Guest mandisfam

never heard of time limit if you are a validation trip. as I understand once your 175 visa is granted you are free to come and go as you please in and out of oz for the the 5 year duration. As you know you then have to be a full time resident by end of the 5 years, after which time, you have to apply for a resident return visa/waiver, at a cost, dont know how much, (sorry cannot remember exact name), every time you go in and out of oz. Unless of course you are an aussie citizen by then.

Mandisfam

Guest chris_mac
We need to validate visa by the 28th oct 2009 as police & meds run out so when you enter oz & have your visa stamped but you are not planning to stay there as it is only a valudation trip do you need to return to uk within a set period of time ? or once visa stamped you can stay or go but knowing within 5 years you have activly need to stay in oz for 2 years on a 176ss.

Hi Kirk and Co

The visa is valid for 5 years from the date of grant(NOT the date the visa is stamped or validated)

You are expected to be in Australia for a total of 2 years (730 days) in this 5 year period.

This is so that you easily qualify for a Resident Return Visa (RRV) after the 5 years is up. You will need an RRV to re-enter Australia as a PR if you are not an Australian citizen.

If you do not meet this requirement but are inside Australia on the expiry date of the visa (5 years hence) the visa does not expire until the moment you set foot outside Australia for any reason.

Hence if you are living in Australia at the end of the 5 year period you will probably not lose your PR but you will face hassle in getting an RRV.

In order to keep life simple, make sure you move to Australia no later than 3 years from visa grant. This ensures you will have the 2 years in Australia required to get an RRV 'no questions asked' at the end of the 5 year period.

Hope it helps

Chris

hi sorry for going off thread

ive have just been talking to a school colleague that i have not seen for years, she lives in newbury and she has just been telling me a friend of hers has applied SS, dont suppose its you is it, her name is Angela Ambrose?

PS: i used to live in newbury, in speen,

Claire x

Guest moving down under

This is a great question. Since you are on a 176 and you need to actually live in that state for at least 2 years it's different from a 175. I'm going to guess here so someone correct me please. I think that if you are just validating it will be the same as a 175 (i.e. you enter the country then leave a short time later with no problem). However, once you actually move you would provide them (the state that sponsored you) with your residential address in OZ and the 2 years would start from then????

It's the only thing I can think of. Anybody else have any idea?

Archived