www.blackhole@oz.com

Hi all,

Fed up from UK here.

Good news - permanenet vsa's now arrived. Bad news trying to get a job in advance of moving "down under".

Brief reveiw: I am a fully qualified Building Surveyor. Things are dire here in the UK and I believe are ok (but not brilliant) in Australia. However, have been doing the right things like seeking accreditation with the Australian Institute of Building Surveyors.

However its the big problem of no experience with Australian legislation and work. You need the expereince to get the job, but I need the job to get the experience - common scenario?!!

Anyway, I am prepared to drop down many rungs - even to trainne type level to enable me to get my foot in the door and retrain.

Thats not my gripe.

My big gripe is that I have taken some considerable time in tracking down companies that are seeking support staff, such as Technicians and Trainees and I have made representations. These have been carried out by email, primarily due to the time differences. What has wound me up is that I am only getting the odd reply - the vast majority do not even bother to reply. Even if it were to say thanks for your interest and politely decline, it would at least be some recognition.

Its really disheartening as with no feedback at all I do wonder whether its worth the effort of emailing blackholeinoz.com!

Any clues? Is it because I am still in the UK and do not have an Oz address; is it because I clearly do not have the skillset or as suggested the lack of expereince?

It puts concerns in my mind that even if I turn up without a job, will the same scenario continue?

I am lucky here in the UK and continue to have a job that pays pretty well. I am prepared to sacrafice that to get out of UK plc, but remain worried!

Vented now, so feel a bit better!!

Martin

Guest iselinger

You are going to have to work a night shift and pick up the phone. Its pretty cheap now specially if you use something like Skype. Emails for sounding out companies are unlikely to work its too easy just to delete or ignore them.

Good luck.

Hi

Dont be disheartened, it is highly unlikely you would get a reply to any job until you are actually here in the country. At least you got a couple of replys,lol, most folks get no response!!

Frustrating i know but now im here i can in a way understand why employers don't entertain anyone who isn't on Aussie soil.

There is no doubt the best way to secure work is to sell yourself in person once you arrive, if you really don't want to move without first securing a job, i would recommend having a late night mid week and ringing some company's, (its harder to be fobbed off when you have them on the end of the telephone)

Good Luck

Cal x

Guest daviop

Hi Martin,

I have had the same thoughts as yourself, we have got permanaent visas, and I have been trying to source work too!! I am a fully qualified Mechanical engineer, but like yourself come up against the email Stone wall!!!!

I have also read about getting your CV changed into Aus format resume.

Like yourself, couple of email replies, but very discouraging, and draining!!!!

We are off to the Job Expo in London on 17th October, to try and drum up some contacts!!!

Then we are off to Perth and then Adelaide for a reccie to do much the same..........

I suppose the feeling is, if it was easy everyone will be doing it, and it will tend to weed out the non committed?????!?!?!?!

As you say spleen vented.........good luck in your search!!!

Dave

Try not to get too down about it all. It's really hard trying to secure a job when you are still in the UK. As others have suggested, have an overnighter and get on the phone and try cold calling. Anyone who sounds remotely interested - send a CV, and then follow it up with another phone call. Australians are lazy and slow when it comes to employing people so you will have to do the running!

Good luck

Rudi

Guest fatpom
However its the big problem of no experience with Australian legislation and work. You need the expereince to get the job, but I need the job to get the experience - common scenario?!!

Anyway, I am prepared to drop down many rungs - even to trainne type level to enable me to get my foot in the door and retrain.

Its good that you've recognised one of the more important issues with professional (& some trade) level jobs. Too many expect to not to have to know or learn the legis & regulative requirements. But even dropping a couple of levels you'll soon catch up anyway.

As for the "getting a job before arriving". Ask yourself this "if a whole bunch foreigners bombarded you all the time with employment queries. How long before you'd just ignore them". Turn up in Aus & you'll very likely get a go. :smile:

Archived