hostel or not?

Guest yzerman

Guest yzerman

Hi i am coming to australia on a working holiday visa for 1 year and was wondering if any1 had done the same? i am coming in september by myself and was wondering if it would be better to pre book a hostel before i get there for a couple of nights or just find somehwere to stay when i arrive?

Not sure if this is the right forum which was a dilema in itself :shocked:

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

I am not sure where you are heading first in Australia but I would be tempted to book a couple of nights in a hostel just so you know that you have somewhere when you touch down, as it will take you a few days to get over the jetlag, then you can start planning your new adventure. I wish I was young enough to go backpacking round Oz, I think instead I will end up a grey nomad once the kids leave home.

Kate

Guest inaroundroom

I would have an address when you enter as immigration can be awkward when they want to be, maybe for working holiday visa they would act differently though?

Guest guest17520

The last thing you want to do after a 24hr journey is then worry about finding somewhere to stay. You want to know exactly where you are going when you get off the plane and get there as soon as you can to drop off your bags, have a shower then go out and explore.

I walked past a huge YHA in Sydney very close to Central Station which looked very organized - i walked inside for a 'sticky-beak'. It's very handy for the city and public transport.

On a trip to North West NSW and into QLD recently, I stayed in hotels (pubs) and found them to be reasonable - you have to share facilities but you don't have to share a room. Rates were between $25 and $40.

Guest Squem

I think Mary Rose is talking about Wake up in Sydney... it's a lush hostel in a perfect location!!

I would definately book a hostel for the first few nights not only for some rest but also because immigration ask for an address for the first few nights which you have to have... if you dont have an address you will get questioned for hours!!!

If you know where you will be landing let me know as i travelled in oz and stayed in some v. nice hostels so can recommend a few!

Emma

Guest guest17520
I think Mary Rose is talking about Wake up in Sydney... it's a lush hostel in a perfect location!!

I would definately book a hostel for the first few nights not only for some rest but also because immigration ask for an address for the first few nights which you have to have... if you dont have an address you will get questioned for hours!!!

If you know where you will be landing let me know as i travelled in oz and stayed in some v. nice hostels so can recommend a few!

Emma

There is two YHA's near Central Station and there is Wake Up as well, they are really nice, probably the cleanest hostels to stay at, however, they are on the expensive side.

I stayed at the Maze not far from Wake Up, it's not as fancy as Wake Up or the YHA and it's not the cleanest hostel but the atmosphere was really good. Always big groups of friendly people to go out drinking with every night.

Guest yzerman

hey thanks for the help, i will be starting off in sydney. the reason i asked is because when i looked at booking online before for 1 person all you can do is pay double because 1 person cannot book a room to himself so you have to buy the whole room

Guest jimpy

hi there, most backpackers are pretty good as are the yha hostels , get yourself a yha membership before you go, it gets you discounts on travel,gym membership,high street and on line purchases and tourist attractions ,i'm sure you get your accomodation a little cheaper than you would normally as well, you can use it internationally, UK Youth Hostel Association (YHA), Budget Accommodation & Adventure Activities - YHA hope this helps

Archived