Silly Dog Question!!

Guest Nickynoonoo

Guest Fulwood

It is a year today since we got our dog, and even then our Australia plans were in their infancy and we had no idea how far they would go.

I truly hope you are successful, but we went on the basis that we couldn't put our whole life on hold 'just-in-case' we make it and decided to get a dog anyway. She was a rescue and I'm pretty sure she's glad we did.

We have had a recent development in that our Dog broke her leg 5 weeks ago and now isn't fit to travel with us. However, we have managed to find a 'foster' carer for her and she will join us once we are out there.

I am very worried about the rental issue, although there seem to be plenty of people who take dog and presumably they all find a rental???

Good luck in deciding what to do!

Guest Tracy1
We are taking our dog with us when we move in August. As the quarantine is only 30 days it is not too bad. I had two cats as well but was advised more than once to rehome them. According to the vet cats do not travel that kind of distance very well and do not adjust very well either. I have rehomed them and I do miss them but I think I did the right thing. I think that if you are only thinking of moving in 2010, and that may not happen due to circumstances you should get the dog. It will be part of the family when you move. Just bear in mind the cost - it is costing us more to send the dog than it is fly my 2 boys, my husband and me - and the dog doesn't even get to sit in a chair!!! Good luck in your decision.

No the dog gets a crate as big as a house to lay down, sit up and roll over in!!! We get the slum class chair:sad:

It is a year today since we got our dog, and even then our Australia plans were in their infancy and we had no idea how far they would go.

I truly hope you are successful, but we went on the basis that we couldn't put our whole life on hold 'just-in-case' we make it and decided to get a dog anyway. She was a rescue and I'm pretty sure she's glad we did.

We have had a recent development in that our Dog broke her leg 5 weeks ago and now isn't fit to travel with us. However, we have managed to find a 'foster' carer for her and she will join us once we are out there.

I am very worried about the rental issue, although there seem to be plenty of people who take dog and presumably they all find a rental???

Good luck in deciding what to do!

We rent & brought our two spaniels over. Although the choice of houses available was more limited than if we didn't have dogs, the process for finding a rental was still the same. As long as you have all the necessary references - for your pets too if you have them - then you just have to get ahead of all the other people competing for the rental! It's a bit daunting going to view with tons of other people but most ads specify as Pets considered/accepted - lots do say No Pets though! We pay an extra $10.00 a week to have ours in the house - the landlord had specified Outdoor Pets okay - & we have to get the carpets treated when we leave. We've made more of a mess to the carpets by spilling red wine on them mind!:laugh:

Guest Nickynoonoo

Thanks to everyone who replied over the last couple of days. I haven't been able to get on PIO so sorry for not saying thanks before now.

It has helped hearing all your views, although they have been a bit mixed with the for and against!

I am going to do a bit more research on rentals and find out how the land lies with regards to cats and dogs over in Perth.

Arnots - I had also considered rehoming my two cats so this may still be an option. I don't like the idea as they are my babies and part of the family so it would have to be whats best for them not me! I would also have to give them to someone I know so I can find out how they are doing. One of them lives with a neighbour most the time and so that would be an option. The other is like my shadow so would be harder to part with.

Lots of decisions to make but I agree that life should not be put on hold waiting for our new life on Oz. My husband is only now starting his application to the ACS so we are right on the starting blocks.

Why do I make life so difficult!!

Thanks again folks xx

Guest jbro31

Hi there, I just wanted to let you know we brought our OLD siamese cat with us, he will be 11 this year and we came out in January, I think it's wrong to say that cats fair worse than dogs, all animals are individuals and will travel however they will travel, you won't know till you try it, personally I took the chance of bringing him because he is part of our family and even if he only has 6 months left, it will be spent with his family as it should be. I also brought my 2 dogs, I only rehomed one cat who was a younger cat, easier to rehome in the uk to a cat friend because he was a very outdoor cat and I thought he would be safer outdoors in the uk than here, my siamese doesn't go out, well, he won't go out the back (dogs) and wants to go out front, which I won't let him due to traffic! Anyway, he is doing absolutely fine, loves the warmth, doesn't like it cold at the mo (we are in Brisbane) and huddles up to the nearest human for warmth bless him. I think the vet was wrong to say that about cats, they curl up and sleep for 23 hrs of the day so a 2 day flight isn't a deal for them. I think dogs fair worse because they are more sociable and feel excluded for the duration of the trip with no human companionship. I felt terrible knowing they wouldn't have a clue what was happening to them and not seeing our faces or hearing our voices for 6 weeks, a volunteer took photo's of them at Sydney and they looked fine. I can't tell you how pleased they were when they saw us at the airport to collect them, they knew it was us and it was the best feeling ever, took them all of a few days to settle down and get over the ordeal as if it had never happened. I don't regret bringing them or spending the money on them, they are part of my family and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Good luck with the move, go with your heart if you can! xx

Guest Nickynoonoo
Hi there, I just wanted to let you know we brought our OLD siamese cat with us, he will be 11 this year and we came out in January, I think it's wrong to say that cats fair worse than dogs, all animals are individuals and will travel however they will travel, you won't know till you try it, personally I took the chance of bringing him because he is part of our family and even if he only has 6 months left, it will be spent with his family as it should be. I also brought my 2 dogs, I only rehomed one cat who was a younger cat, easier to rehome in the uk to a cat friend because he was a very outdoor cat and I thought he would be safer outdoors in the uk than here, my siamese doesn't go out, well, he won't go out the back (dogs) and wants to go out front, which I won't let him due to traffic! Anyway, he is doing absolutely fine, loves the warmth, doesn't like it cold at the mo (we are in Brisbane) and huddles up to the nearest human for warmth bless him. I think the vet was wrong to say that about cats, they curl up and sleep for 23 hrs of the day so a 2 day flight isn't a deal for them. I think dogs fair worse because they are more sociable and feel excluded for the duration of the trip with no human companionship. I felt terrible knowing they wouldn't have a clue what was happening to them and not seeing our faces or hearing our voices for 6 weeks, a volunteer took photo's of them at Sydney and they looked fine. I can't tell you how pleased they were when they saw us at the airport to collect them, they knew it was us and it was the best feeling ever, took them all of a few days to settle down and get over the ordeal as if it had never happened. I don't regret bringing them or spending the money on them, they are part of my family and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Good luck with the move, go with your heart if you can! xx

Thanks for your reply.

One of my cats is very much an outdoor cat and seems to spend loads of time with my neighbours (more so than us) I may consider asking them if they would like to give him a home when the time comes. My other cat is currently 11 and so would be 12/13 years old by the time we move, this worries me a little. I will have to wait until nearer the time to see what his health is like by then.

My heart just keeps telling me to get our dog now rather than wait until Oz. We have so much love to give a dog I just want to be able to give it now! :hug:

x

Archived