Nullarbor

Guest fa66ster

Guest fa66ster

How ya goin' bob?? You being a queenslander I was wondering if you've been down the plenty highway? Drove that on the way to mt ISA, that was an experience!!

How ya goin' bob?? You being a queenslander I was wondering if you've been down the plenty highway? Drove that on the way to mt ISA, that was an experience!!

G'day mate. No, not done that but I wanted to. I was going around Australia on a fossicking holiday for 6 months and wanted to see the Gemtree fossicking area (rubies). Got as far as Boulia and decided to head east and see the Middleton Pub and head on down to the Qld opal fields instead.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest siamsusie
G'day mate. No, not done that but I wanted to. I was going around Australia on a fossicking holiday for 6 months and wanted to see the Gemtree fossicking area (rubies). Got as far as Boulia and decided to head east and see the Middleton Pub and head on down to the Qld opal fields instead.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Gent (bob), I have been down the Nullabor twice. Karratha to Adelaide for my husband sons' wedding. My husband lastminute.com drove this horrendous stretch of land in 5/6 days, I hated every minute of it. God I thought I was the brave native wife in Karratha, nothing prepared me for that! Disgusting filthy accomodation which came at London prices , inflated gas prices. Quarantine searches half way down looking for honey and apples:cute: oh and any swallows that might have hitched a ride. No mobile signals, no CB radio (in the garage still in box), road kill in abundance with eagles hovering every few klicks. The joy on my husband's face showing me his land made me smile.

Adelaide to Launceston down the coast road, and over on the Spirit was lovely, but Launceston to Karratha loomed its ugly head after a couple of weeks .I updated my ipod, my books, and supplies and came back via Coffin Bay, taking in the magnificant Great Australian Bight, stopping off at out of the way native villages, not noticing the road kill this time and yes its something people should do once in their life. My husband proudly telling me he has done it on numerous occasions when the road was unsealed.:cry: Next year Karratha to Launceston will be done via Darwin, Brisbane etc and I am looking forward to that and OH says hi to you BTW and says maggots are called gents over your way..is that correct? ss x

Guest siamsusie

Everyone must drive the nullarbor........the solitude alone is worth the 3 day drive!!

:laugh: I have a loo if I want solitude:jiggy:

• 2 months later...

We drove the plenty hwy on our lap of oz after visiting the gemtree caravan park and fossicking for Zircon - was really good. The Plenty however was not that interesting imo. (It will soon be bitumen anyway)

Now the Birdsville Track that was a great trip!

Our blog for our epic adventure, driving all the way around Australia

http://twopomsandatruck.blogspot.com

Me and the OH were only saying the other day that there is so much of Oz to see and we haven't even begun to scratch the surface yet...can't wait to get the time to explore further afield and this sounds great!

PS Bill Bryson helpfully informs the reader in his book "Australia" that Nullarbor is often taken to be an Aboriginal word, but is in fact Latin for "No Trees". Bit of trivia there for ya :biggrin:

Sue x

Me and the OH were only saying the other day that there is so much of Oz to see and we haven't even begun to scratch the surface yet...can't wait to get the time to explore further afield and this sounds great!

PS Bill Bryson helpfully informs the reader in his book "Australia" that Nullarbor is often taken to be an Aboriginal word, but is in fact Latin for "No Trees". Bit of trivia there for ya :biggrin:

Sue x

G'day Sue, A very nice drive for you and only about 2, or 3 days, depending on how you do it...From Bribie, head north to Rockhampton, do a 'left-hand-down-abit' and head for Mount Morgan, a once thriving gold mining town

(When it closed in 1981 the mine had produced 225 000 kg of gold, 50 000 kg of silver and 360 000 tonnes of copper in a 99 year period. Today the operations largely focus on extracting gold from the tailings.

The result of all this activity is that what was once a large mountain is now one of the largest artificial holes on earth. It is over 2.5 km long and over 300 m deep.)

From there, head south to Banana...named after a bull. Then through to Taroom (Ludwig Leichardt carved his name on a tree ) and Miles, to Toowoomba and back to Bribie.

Done the trip 3 times and well worth the effort.

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived