Counting The Sleeps.........

Guest marriedtoanaussie

Guest marriedtoanaussie

Less than 20 sleeps to go before we are home again....

After 5 months of living in Australia my family(Aussie hubby and 3 young children) have agreed that our life in the UK was far better than our life here will ever be.

We have visited Oz every 2 years over the last 10 and we felt we had to try the life out here before our children were too old to move. We needed to know what life is like(out of holiday mode) in my husbands country. The benefits (and I would never deny Australia has fantastic parks,swimming pools, beaches etc..) are not enough for us.

We go back to our very close family, our new baby neice, our house (rented out but tenants have agreed to move on) our local village school-walkable, our local pub(with atmosphere)-walkable, our local shops-walkable, our rolling fields and woods, our country lanes, The Ashes Tour, cheap flights to Europe, Paris a train ride away,our friends, shopping in a high street(not at a Westfield shopping center) and our tiny tracker mortgage.

Having finally put Australia to rest, we are very very excited about our 'new' life back in the UK.

This process has taught us a lot. Our lives have slowed down and we plan to get a dog. My husband and I are both changing our careers-something we would never had dared to do in recession hit Brtain had we stayed.

We never wanted to be in the 'What if...." camp but most importantly, we now realise that a happy life is having healthy children, a husband you love, enjoying your surroundings wherever you are and spending your time with the people that matter most.

For those of you wanting to return to the UK-good luck and never look back

For those of you still in the UK desperately trying to get a visa-good luck and I hope Australia gives you everything you dream of

xx

Guest siamsusie

Hi Marriedtoanaussie..... wishing you and you family so much good fortune on your trip back home. You have given it a fair crack of the whip, and looking forward to hearing about your new life back home. Bon Voyage!

Guest nikkichap

Reading your post was like reading my own a couple of months ago. I know exactly how you feel and like you say you won't have to wonder what if anymore. I have been back in the UK for 7 weeks now and I have definately made the right decision. My life was put on hold in OZ and now I feel I am living again. It's true that OZ has wonderful beaches and parks ect but like you it wasn't enough for us it was like there was something missing!!!! Yes, the UK has it's faults but the good outways the bad. The weather has been fab this past few weeks, in fact it's been so hot and sticky that it reminds me of OZ but without the luxuary of having aircon in the house. Just have to make do with opening the windows!

Like you, we rented out our house although I am still not in mine as my hubby is still in OZ but hopefully he will be returning in the next few weeks. I'm at my MIL's which has it's own problems but I would still rather be here with my boys and without hubby then unhappy in OZ. My boys went back to the same school and hooked up with their friends, it was like they had never been away. It's lovely to see them happy again.

Good luck with your return. It really does make you realise what is important in your life. I have totally looked at my life differently now and want to make the most of it.

Be Happy.

Nikki

Guest marriedtoanaussie

Thanks for your supportive posts. The children have finished school now and my hubby is not working so we are in holiday mode which is lovely. Fly out Monday 13th.

I am at a really happy place in my life now that we have finally settled on where we want to raise our children. No doubt I will have to explain our decision to many people back in the UK(most that have never even visited Oz!!!!) but I am happy to.

I too feel our life was put on hold slightly-not getting a dog for example as we kept taking long trips out to Brisbane......

I am 36 and ready to enjoy life again but with different eyes. I intend to show the children what the Uk has to offer and Europe-they have already visited USA,France,Spain,Italy,Ireland.

I want to give them a sense of pride in my home nation-something which my generation has lost.

I intend to not believe everything I read in the newspapers and celebrate St Georges Day every year.

When the children are older-they can make up their own minds.

Guest RooRoo
Thanks for your supportive posts. The children have finished school now and my hubby is not working so we are in holiday mode which is lovely. Fly out Monday 13th.

I am at a really happy place in my life now that we have finally settled on where we want to raise our children. No doubt I will have to explain our decision to many people back in the UK(most that have never even visited Oz!!!!) but I am happy to.

I too feel our life was put on hold slightly-not getting a dog for example as we kept taking long trips out to Brisbane......

I am 36 and ready to enjoy life again but with different eyes. I intend to show the children what the Uk has to offer and Europe-they have already visited USA,France,Spain,Italy,Ireland.

I want to give them a sense of pride in my home nation-something which my generation has lost.

I intend to not believe everything I read in the newspapers and celebrate St Georges Day every year.

When the children are older-they can make up their own minds.

Here!! Here!! I agree with your sentiments exactly and can't wait to fly back to the UK either, although we have to wait 15 weeks longer than you until 27th October (we will have been here a year by then). I too will happily celebrate all that the UK has to offer.

Good luck with the move home!

Ruth

Guest Impatient

Good for you, at least you gave it a go. Brave move with all that you had to lose, especially being close to family. Sometimes it can take chasing a dream to realise what is really important and that seems to have happened in your case, so best of luck with everything.

Archived