A foot in each camp!!

Guest peaceangel

Guest peaceangel

Hi, I am new to the forum but have read and absorbed everyones stories and it is so nice to feel an affinity with peoples feelings.

I believe getting it out and saying it is good for the soul, so here goes.

I have been in Australia a total of 11 years. I moved here with my husband and 2 young sons aged 2 and 4 yrs. The first six months was a journey of great adventure and discovery. Then I started with the homesickness and it's never really left me. Dave had a good job and I was nursing part time.I had coping strategies and my husband was awesome. My family came to visit, and we had a visit back to the UK. Yet after 4 years I pulled the pin and that was that we sold everything and moved back home. I was happy, the kids were settling back into school and had all their family around them. The only thing was David didn't get a job straight away so I was working fulltime while he held up the househusband role and gradually got more and more depressed putting a strain on our usually strong foundations. Long story short, after 6 months I couldn't stand him being like that so we came back to Oz and have been ultimately fine since, EXCEPT I live with my yearning for home every single day. I learn to deal with it for the sake of my wonderful family and the life we have here, but I feel I have sacrificed half of my self and am not a whole person. My boys are both in high school now and in the back of my mind I think that when they finish its my turn to ................

I wont go on as long posts are hard to read but think just writing it down in an arena where I will be understood is good medicine.

Gail :)

Good for you Gail and a warm welcome to the forum. I can't even imagine the feeling you must go through with it all.

TIm

Guest guest22466
Hi, I am new to the forum but have read and absorbed everyones stories and it is so nice to feel an affinity with peoples feelings.

I believe getting it out and saying it is good for the soul, so here goes.

I have been in Australia a total of 11 years. I moved here with my husband and 2 young sons aged 2 and 4 yrs. The first six months was a journey of great adventure and discovery. Then I started with the homesickness and it's never really left me. Dave had a good job and I was nursing part time.I had coping strategies and my husband was awesome. My family came to visit, and we had a visit back to the UK. Yet after 4 years I pulled the pin and that was that we sold everything and moved back home. I was happy, the kids were settling back into school and had all their family around them. The only thing was David didn't get a job straight away so I was working fulltime while he held up the househusband role and gradually got more and more depressed putting a strain on our usually strong foundations. Long story short, after 6 months I couldn't stand him being like that so we came back to Oz and have been ultimately fine since, EXCEPT I live with my yearning for home every single day. I learn to deal with it for the sake of my wonderful family and the life we have here, but I feel I have sacrificed half of my self and am not a whole person. My boys are both in high school now and in the back of my mind I think that when they finish its my turn to ................

I wont go on as long posts are hard to read but think just writing it down in an arena where I will be understood is good medicine.

Gail :)

Gail I know how you feel and it seems no matter what you do your never sure if your doing the right thing. It sounds like you miss your family and home which for some people just is a stronger pull as it is for me. I too have great family and friends back in the UK and it pulls on my heart strings every day.... if I think about it too much. So I just try to put it to the back of my mind as thats just how I get on with it. I keep in touch with everyone at home still every week even though I have not seen family for 8 years (due to child court orders and finances) but hoping to see everyone in 2010. I know I will never get over the homesickness but I also know I can not let it take over my life. So like many people we just deal with it the best we can and hope that it gets easier. I hope that things get easier for you and also for you to know your not on your own in your feelings. Also you never know what around the corner so never say never.Take Care

Guest peaceangel

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yes that's exactly how i feel "on hold", like someone's hit the pause button and I'm in a dream.

However, I do cope with it well on a day to day basis and just have the odd melt down now and again.

My turn will come, just hope I don't EXPLODE before then

Gail:)

Archived