Gold Coast or Brisbane????

Hi Guy’s

Well we have a bit of a dilemma; we are well into the process of emigrating to Queensland and if all goes well should be there for Xmas. We had our heart set on the Gold Coast (Oxenford, Upper Coomera, Pacific Pines areas) but are worried that we might be limiting our chances of employment. My oh is a Senior Security Analyst (I.T), and I am an Operating Department Practitioner (Anaesthetic Technician). We are worried that by moving to the Gold Coast we might not find work and so are now thinking maybe we should consider moving closer to Brisbane. Does anyone know what the employment situation is for Healthcare professionals and I.T. professionals any advice would be greatly accepted,

:confused:

Thanks Sam x

Guest Vim Fuego

You could always live around by 'Buccan' and have the best of both ... sure, the commute to the CBD is a bit of a trek but it suits us ... have a Google, if you like the semi-rural lifestyle (and the attendant trek to the shops, small price to pay) I recommend it. There are still IT jobs around in Brisbane.

Guest guest30038

Severe shortage of all "medical technicians" in the Brizzy area and particularly anaesthetists and radiographers.

Why the Gold Coast? the lifestyle or because of a particular housing estate? Bear in mind that if it's because of the lifestyle (beaches etc), then a commute from brizzy is only an hour away, you don't necessarily have to live there to enjoy it.

I would think that like most major cities, the job opportunities are bound to be better in Brizzy........one only has to look at how many hospitals it has and nearly all the public are undergoing extensions or are earmarked for expansion. With the current economic climate it is likely that those outside "city confines" will be the ones to suffer ie Sunshine Coast hospital is no on hold for 2 yrs.

kev

Guest snow white

we are on gold coast but hubby has to commute his company is in brissie and im sure you will find most people do the same we have children and just preferred the gold coast to live rather than brisbane and oh doesnt mind the commute that much

lesley x

Hi i think lots of familys face the same dilema and you will probably find you really wont know until you are here and manage to secure work.

Most familys stay in a hotel,cabin, furnished house etc for their first few weeks and whilst there have a look around at all the different suburbs and secure a 6month rental in an area you like. You will be surprised how quick 6 months passes but in this time you will have had a good chance to drive around loads of different suburbs and see where you feel is best for your family.

Doing this also gives you a chance to see if the job you secured is right for you, you may decide after securing work at say Brisbane that you prefer the beach lifestyle and so try to secure work on the Coast, vice versa.

Will you both be vehicle owners? or would you be relying on public transport? as this could also play a factor in where to settle. Public transport can be hit and miss or non existent is some areas.

Hope this helps a bit

Good luck its certainly a tough choice,lol there are too many nice areas over here!

Cal x

Guest scot in melb

HI, Lots of health care jobs but anaesthetic technicians around Brisbane but are a bit different here. My husband is an anaesthetist and we have been here for 4 years now. Love it - wouldn't go back. No anaesthetic rooms here though - all done on the table! We got his job through a recruitment agency. They were great - got my job and kids schools sorted - picked us up in a limo at the airport! Noice to be taken care of - plus they had a migration agent that we used for free. Saved a fortune!

Archived