Maternity Pay

Guest TheBigDecision

Guest TheBigDecision

We are in the early stages of looking into a move to Oz & if we do, it wouldn'tt be for a few years.

So we hadn't plannedon adding to our family for a while yet but wondered what sort of leave & pay you get in Oz nd/or would it be easier to have baby here first??

Thanks!

Guest guest30038
We are in the early stages of looking into a move to Oz & if we do, it wouldn'tt be for a few years.

So we hadn't plannedon adding to our family for a while yet but wondered what sort of leave & pay you get in Oz nd/or would it be easier to have baby here first??

Thanks!

This may help

http://www.britzinoz.com/info/maternity.htm

kev

Maternity pay????? There's no such thing as compulsory maternity pay over here, and it's bloody discraceful (also one of my major lock-horns-with-company issues).

A while ago the government put the onus of maternity pay on to large companies, saying they really should consider it, while saying small companies have no obligation to pay so as not to financially hurt themselves. It's very much up to the individual company whether you get it; some places will give 18 weeks, some 12, many none whatsoever. Generally government funded bodies like universities and civil services give great benefits, most PLCs you'll be lucky to get a bunch of flowers.

In 2011 they're talking about bringing in 12 (or 14?) weeks at minimum wage. They tend to do u-turns though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Incidentally, after a couple of years of bugging the hell out of various higher-ups in my company, they agreed to pay 6 weeks, so eprsistance may pay off if you try and negotiate it into your package.

Archived