Advice on retraining

Poca&Dan

My OH has just recently been offered employment as a nurse and I am planning to go out with her on her visa. I currently work as an insurance broker and always wished that I had learned a trade. I feel that the big move to Oz may be my last opportunity to retrain to be an electrician or something similar. Can anyone give any advice on how to go about learning a trade in oz, the routes to go down and if this is at all possible for me to completely change career paths.

Guest Stefan Watts

Poca and Dan

Will your wifes visa be a temporary one? If so you will be paying international fees, which for trades courses will range from around A$9,500 to A$14,500 per year. Courses start in February and July, though others have more regular intakes throughout the year. Let me know which state/territory are you heading to and I'll post some links for you to have a look at.

Regards

Stefan Watts

Study Options

Thanks for the reply. OH visa will be applying for a temporary business stay. We will be heading to Melbourne in January. Is there any kind of programme out there like an apprenticeship programme that we have over here?

Hiya how do you fancy being a hairdresser ? lol its so easy to find job vacancies for hairdressers,lol. Painters and Decorators are still in demand too. The problem you have with learning a trade is construction has been affected by the credit crunch and even lads who have done their profession for years are struggling to secure work, so please bear this in mind.

As the visa isn't yours and not a student visa, you are not tied to a profession at all, you can do as you want when you want. Personally i would keep a close eye on the job market and once you have arrived see what courses take your fancy,what colleges are within commute of where you settle and take it from there.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

Guest Stefan Watts

Great, Melbourne has the largest range of trades courses available to international student. Courses you might want to look at are:

- Automotive (light vehicle, heavy vehicle, welding and fabrication, electrical)

- Locksmith (the only course in Australia offered to international students)

- Air conditioning (Melbourne is currently the only place in Australia to study this as international student.

- Bricklaying

- Cabinet making

- Wall and floor tiling

- Wall and ceiling lining

- Solid plastering

- Engineering trades

Drop me an email or give me a buzz and I can send out courses lists and prospectuses etc. stefan@studyoptions.com or phone is 020 7353 7200.

Hope this helps.

Stefan Watts

Study Options

Guest Stefan Watts

Sorry I meant to include links to the colleges,

Holmesglen http://www.holmesglen.edu.au/programs/international - the courses with a globe next to them are international courses

Box Hill Box Hill Institute - Course Information for International Students

NMIT NMIT

Kangan Batman Course information | Kangan Batman Institute of TAFE

Stefan

Archived