G'day from North of Sydney

NigelWaring

I left UK in 1969 arriving in Australia during 1974, I'm beginning to like it so think I might stay. To be serious moving here was probably the best thing that I've done. In every way possible Australia has been really good to me, I've been married almost 25 years, now retired and feel that I'm much more secure than I ever would have been in UK. We travel a lot often visiting UK, it is very enjoyable to go there but always good to return to our home in Australia. My wife is Australian but I've very much adjusted to the lifestyle that we both enjoy, we eat mainly fresh food and generally have a really good time, sometimes wish there were more hours in the day, so many things to do. Using our seniors' card for just $2.50 per day we can travel on trains, buses and ferries visiting some national park or place of interest at least once a week with our cameras and lunch in our backpacks.

I'm originally from Southport, Lancs but had lived in London then Winchester before leaving UK.

Guest the terry's

Hi Nigel,

Welcome to Poms In Oz, people like yourself are an invaluable asset to us brits who are thinking of moving to Australia, be prepared for a barrage of questions.

Helenx

Couldn't agree with you more Nigel, I came here in 1970 and feel exactly the same,

I used my seniors card a few weeks ago on a trip to Sydney with our UK visitors, I couldn't believe that we got all the ferry rides, train, etc for only $2-50, it was a good day out.

Like you, I find there isn't enough time in the day sometimes, always plenty to do and places to go, We live in the Illawarra, so being alone on a beach here is not uncommon, I sometimes have to pinch myself that I got all this for 10 quid and a dream.

Thanks The Terry & Skippy. Itcouldbeworse, yes the card is great, if anyone doesn't know you get it when you are 60 provided that you do not work an average no more than 20 hours per week in a calendar year. Apply for it at least six weeks before your birthday, they don't ask for it but do include some proof of age. We never leave home without it and if we buy anything that costs more than $2 we always show the card and ask if there is any senior's discount. One of the best regular deals is McDonalds or Hungry Jacks, buy anything at all and you get a free drink, juice, tea or coffee and you are also allowed one free refill. When we are out exploring we take our lunch along with a container of fruit salad each, we then go to McDonalds or Hungry Jacks, buy a soft serve ice cream which we put into our fruit salad, we then take our free coffee away and enjoy the lot in the sun. Sometimes we hop on the Manly ferry to eat our lunch, it's one of the few where you are allowed to eat on board.

Guest guest30038

Thanks The Terry & Skippy. Itcouldbeworse, yes the card is great, if anyone doesn't know you get it when you are 60 provided that you do not work an average no more than 20 hours per week in a calendar year. A

Is that a federal or state thing? I've turned 60, but I always thought that the card was given at 65? Must be a Queensland thing..............I'm off to google and check things out.

kev

Guest snow white

only 19 years to go for me then lol weve been here 2 years we have 6 children never been on a plane and just wanted it so much

that we decided why not lets go for it glad we did weve had it really tough the last 18 months have been by no means easy but you know what just makes me stronger adn now were finally enjoying life australia has so much to offer for a family i dont think we will return to the uk to live too much too give up .

nigel it was great too read your post

lesley x

Guest snow white
Is that a federal or state thing? I've turned 60, but I always thought that the card was given at 65? Must be a Queensland thing..............I'm off to google and check things out.

kev

hi kev

just wanted to say took a look at your site and your pics are fantastic think i will be sending you a pm soon

lesley x

Guest guest30038
hi kev

just wanted to say took a look at your site and your pics are fantastic think i will be sending you a pm soon

lesley x

Okey dokey lesley...............feel free to.

kev

Is that a federal or state thing? ...

There are several cards. The Seniors' Card is a State Thing and I thought it was 60 in most States. There's the Federal Pensioners' Card, you have to qualify for the means tested pension to get that one, it gives you similar benefits to the Seniors plus some medical benefits like medications at around $5.80. There's also a medical benefits card, this is for those who do not qualify for the pension but are still not rich, the get cheap medicines and some other medical benefits, I think their taxable income has to be less than about $80k, this may be a joint amount I'm not sure.

Archived