Places to avoid in 'Inner West'?

Guest Nim

Hi,

We are looking at areas to live around Sydney for our family with two small children. Looking at the 'Inner West' there are some areas, such as Earlwood, with significantly lower house prices (3 bedroom homes between $600 000 - 700 000) than some of the neighbouring suburbs.

Anyone knows if there is 'anything wrong' with Earlwood and these other places and if there are any suburbs not so suitable for a young family?

Many thanks!

Earlwood is OK so far as I know. You don't hear bad things about it in the media. I tend to lump it together with Bexley, Kingsgrove, Beverly Hills, Bardwell Park. Of course, if you live on a busy road it might not be so pleasant with a young family. It's reasonably close to the City and the airport and the bus and train are OK.

Guest mutikonka

Hard to say ... but many suburbs are characterised by their migrant populations. Leichardt, of course, is Italian. Ashfield is predominantly mainland Chinese, (as is much of Burwood), Strathfield is Korean and Indian. Newtown is student and alternative ...

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my wife have moved to Abbotsford in the Inner West, we really wanted to live in Balmain but the rental market is so competitive there, luckily we found somewhere close by and Abbotsford is absolutely beautiful and easily accessible to and from the city, allthough i would avoid victoria road in rush hour as the traffic is a nightmare

I went to Earlwood the other week to check it out - got the train from Panania to Bardwell Park, walked up the hill to Earlwood then along both sides of the main road and into the side streets and parks.

I felt safe enough - no grafitti, no 'hoons', plenty of shops, nice church too 'Our Lady of Lourdes' where my brother got married.

The main road is busy but that's the same in many suburbs. There are buses to the city and the station down the hill - hard walk back up! And a good RSL club too, by the station.

I'd be happy to live there.

• 2 months later...
Guest PaddyO
I went to Earlwood the other week to check it out - got the train from Panania to Bardwell Park, walked up the hill to Earlwood then along both sides of the main road and into the side streets and parks.

I felt safe enough - no grafitti, no 'hoons', plenty of shops, nice church too 'Our Lady of Lourdes' where my brother got married.

The main road is busy but that's the same in many suburbs. There are buses to the city and the station down the hill - hard walk back up! And a good RSL club too, by the station.

I'd be happy to live there.

Great post, exactly what the OP needed.

• 2 months later...
Hard to say ... but many suburbs are characterised by their migrant populations. Leichardt, of course, is Italian. Ashfield is predominantly mainland Chinese, (as is much of Burwood), Strathfield is Korean and Indian. Newtown is student and alternative ...

Hum...tose are wild generalisations

Yes, there are Italian restaurants in Leichhardt and Spanish and Brazilian but most of the Italian residents have long gone to make room for a much more Newtown/ Balmain like population, that is by no means only students or alternative, whatever that may mean.

Ashfiled predominantly "mainland Chinese"? I am not going to ask how do you know the difference between a native of Hong Kong or Shanghai but Ashfield has an Asian population from all walks of life and from a smorgasboard of nations and certainly not exclusive from China. As for Burwood. I know at least 30 different families from my daughter's school in Croydon that live in Burwood and Strathfield and no one is Asian from mainland or otherwise, (not that there is anything wrong with that). Yes there are a lot of Korean shops in Strathfield but they are not majority by a long shot, and both Burwood and Strathfield have the most desirable houses in inner city together with Haberfield, Drummoine, Five Dock and Abbotsford, and if the owner is from Hong kong, he probably drives a Mercedes 600 has a couple of university degree and money to go with it.

I think that for a person thinking in traveling to Sydney, the valuable information to be given is about the cost of real estate, rent rate, jobs availability, safety in relation to crime rate etc, and quality of schools. Also the age of the person plays a big role in picking a suburb. As for Earlwood, is good value for money and certainly a safe area for a family. I take my daughter to violin lessons to Earlwood. It is necessary to live or know someone that lives in a suburb to have an idea of how it is, Walking in the shops or the street is generaly not enough.

Best thing to do is come and have a look for yourself, and RENT, don't buy for at least 6 month.

My opinion of course.

PS

After living for 6 years in Haberfield my pick is Drummoyne

Yes thre are still some Greeks in Drummoyne who have not died off yet... :)

Guest tester23

Hi all,

We are moving to Sydney early in the new year, and were also wondering about the Ineer West.

Does anyone have experiences of Suburbs such as Marrickville, Dulwhich Hill, Petersham, Lewisham?

Hi all,

We are moving to Sydney early in the new year, and were also wondering about the Ineer West.

Does anyone have experiences of Suburbs such as Marrickville, Dulwhich Hill, Petersham, Lewisham?

I go regularly to Marickville to my accountant's and find the suburb very multicultural. A few years back there was a lot of pressure to erradicate the drug dealers from Cabramatta, and they said they all relocated to Marickville. True or not I don't know.

Having said that, besides the main shopping street that is loaded with all different kinds of small restaurants and take away from all descriptions and ethnic origin, the side streets appear to be just like every other inner city suburb. Plenty of 40 year old brick houses, mixed with renovated one that look more or less expensive. The inner west turned from being the cheaper alternative to eastern suburbs and the place of choice of labourers to a trendier place for yuppies.

My observation is that inner city suburbs had a tendency to improve their social intake in the last 20 years but suburbia further out, goes from a boom of young families with a mortgage when their are built, to run down rented place with deteriorating social intake when the original family upgrades, in sometimes less than 10 years.

All the suburbs you mention including Summer Hill, are good convenient places to live with good transport and shops but are certainly not pretty. They have character yet because of the variety of people who live there, each persons experience will be different and there is no saying "That is a dump" or "that is the best".

If you are after a generalisation, I would say avoid to buy or rent a flat unless it is a realy up market suburb in the city or The Rocks.

If you want to have a place to walk the dog, and admire a bit of the real Sydney you must go closer to the water.

Balmain, Haberfield, Five Dock, Drummoine, Canada Bay Abottsford.

You will trade in the vicinity to the train line, yet all those suburbs are served well by State bus.

In Sydney there is also this thing with the train that seems to attract the less desirables. So between Summer Hill with the train and Haberfield with no train, Haberfield is a much better proposition.

Having said that and after living 6 years in Haberfield, I was told that every second italian cafe in Haberfield deals in drugs, delivers prositutes to your door in a red Mercedes oir is a gambling den.

I failed to spot the Merc. 100 meters from my house tehre was a cafe where all the older italians met to have a game of cards and my 4 daughters all went to school walking and back with no incidents.

Guest tomatohead

hi i lived in earlwood for two years and its fine just a normal garden suburb prices are around the $ 600.000 and up for a 3 bed with a nice garden , shops , supermarket banks etc , 20 mins on the train to circular quay , to be honest most of the surrounding areas ok some just have a bad rep ,

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tester23

Well we managed to find a place just off Livingstone Rd in Marrickville. The area seems nice enough, and Marrickville Rd has a real variety of cafes and shops

Well we managed to find a place just off Livingstone Rd in Marrickville. The area seems nice enough, and Marrickville Rd has a real variety of cafes and shops

I am glad you like Marrickville, it will grow on you. Thank you for sharing.

Archived