Nice areas in and around Adelaide?

We hope to move to Adelaide May/June 2006 under the SIR visa (I am a teacher and my husband is a mechanical technician) and are waiting for our medicals next month.

We haven't yet visited the area (taking a risk, I know!) and wondered if anyone can tell me of any "nice" areas to live in both the city and suburbs. Any information would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Guest blackcountrygirll

There are lots of nice areas here in Adelaide, do you , want to live near the sea or in the city or in the country areas, we live in Aberfoyle Pk, which is nice, its about 25mins to the city 20mins to the sea and about 5mins into the country, we have the best of all worlds, nearby suburbs are Flagstaff Hill, Coromandel Valley , Blackwood, Hawthorndene. THese suburbs are all in the south of Adelaide If you send me a personal message I will reply

blackcountrygirll

Sheila

Guest blackcountrygirll

Hi Mandy,

one thing I forgot to tell you, take a look in the local adelaide paper for houses and jobs

http://www.theadvertiser.com.au

http://www.careersone.com.au

Monday to Saturday

Sunday

thesundaymail.com.au

If theres any houses your interested in if you tell me the suburb, I can tell you what its like, it may be easier this way, you`ll find the cheaper the house the suburb won`t be as good, but you never know

Hope this will help you

Sheila

blackcountrygirll

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zibit_glass

Hi Mandy i am from lancashire walkden i came out to aus

1985 at 1st i was homesick cos i left me mates and girlfriend.

but i got a job i was 16 at the time.

21 yrs later i worked my ass off met a lovely aussie girl judy.

we got married at 21 had kids at 24 now we have a big house swimming pool big games room.

we bult the house back in 1990 now we have 2 kids good jobs both managers...

will live i good life style.

adelaide is i great place plenty of work if want it.

top weather naer beach no matter where u r or the country nice hills ares barossa valley good wineries.

there r good and bad areas i live at andrews farm which is nth of adelaide

housing is fairly cheap here in the nth prices range between $170000.00 in the nth to $600000.00 sth depends where you want to live its more layed back in the nth places around the city burnside ,norwood propsect expensive and posh...

anyway here is a site for ya enjoy..

http://www.southaustralia.com/home.asp

goodluck mike

• 2 months later...

Hi!

Thanks for all your replies and I am so sorry I haven't replied earlier, but things have been so hectic (as you will understand!) and I haven't checked for replies until now - sorry! Your replies are really helpful - thanks for taking the time.

We come over mid September with no jobs and nowhere to live (yet!!) We want to rent somewhere for the first month or so, until we (hopefully!) will have some idea of where we will be working. Does anyone know of anywhere (preferable furnished - but it doesn't matter if not) up for rent mid Sept till perhaps mid Oct? We also have a cat coming over so it would need to be somewhere pet-friendly!! If you do, please let me know!!

Will be in touch again soon!!

Mandy

• 1 month later...
Guest lainey

hiya, just a quick question, whats the weather usually like in adelaide? we r still trying to decide where to live and so trying to find out what area is like what with weather?

Guest blackcountrygirll

Adelaide tends to be more like Mediterean weather, we have 4 seasons,Spring, Summer Autumn, Winter, we are now in Autumn its been 17c today going down to 10c tonight, you`ll say thats great, but when you`ve lived in Adelaide a while you get acclimatised and that quite cold, Melbourne it pretty much the same Sydney is a bit warmer, Queensland and Northern Territory are warmer but they only have 2 seasons Wet and Dry.

We have lived in Adelaide 16yrs and love it, the city is a lot smaller than the other capitals, and its a cheaper place to live, check out

adelaidebrits

site you might get more help if you choose Adelaide

Hope all you guys coming out here have a wonderful Life

Sheila

• 2 years later...
Guest sazzle76

Hi there.

My OH is a panel beater and the area in NSW we are looking at doesnt seem to offer many job prospects.

Ive seen a few ads for SA and wondered if there were any nice semi rural areas for a young family approx 30-40 mins from the airport? We arent bothered about being close to the beach as prefer open spaces and country but as I havent been to SA i have no idea where is best.

can anyone help or suggest?

thanx!

Guest Guest9973
Hi there.

My OH is a panel beater and the area in NSW we are looking at doesnt seem to offer many job prospects.

Ive seen a few ads for SA and wondered if there were any nice semi rural areas for a young family approx 30-40 mins from the airport? We arent bothered about being close to the beach as prefer open spaces and country but as I havent been to SA i have no idea where is best.

can anyone help or suggest?

thanx!

I live in Onkaparinga Hills which is 40 mins max to the CBD.Nice area and it goes ack to some larger blocks of 10 acres.

Look at Clarendon as well if you like rural/village places.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,,,, Were also new to the forum and just finding our feet at the mo,,, looking foward to reading all the topics to fill my head with!! Any other tips, news, areas, what to do, (and what NOT to do for that matter) will all be welcome!! Ta.. (Visa`s lodged and waiting for an outcome - via a migration agent - `thinking australia`).... Cheers again

• 2 years later...
Guest MACKEY

Hi there blackcountrygirl,

I am in Christchurch New Zealand, me and my daughter are moving to Adelaide to live due to the earthquakes in my town. If I could chat with you to find out some information about Adelaide, where to live and some information required about your city. You can add me on: MSN @: dreamtimenz@hotmail.com or Yahoo Messenger @: greatstuffbro@yahoo.co.nz

Archived