Anyone from York Need advice

Guest ollie247

Guest ollie247

Hi there,

We are moving back to the UK roughly November time we need to stay till the dog clear quarntine here.

I have a job offer practically in Harrogate when I want it, But its soooo expensive. We are now looking at York as the commute by train is only 30 minutes from the town centre, Does anyone know which is the best area to live in in terms of train stations schools etc. Me and my husband are average joes earners nothing flash so we won't be living in the heart of town in some posh apartment or anything but just some general ideal's on the better area's town to live in etc my son is 10 so we need a primary school for a few months then off to secondary school so something close by or bike ride would be good.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Sarah

Guest Carrie

Hi Sarah

Lucky you!! I'm from York, it's gorgeous. We went back for a trip over Xmas and New Year. York's become quite expensive, like most historic cities, but it's not as dear as Harrogate. The train station is bang in the city centre and is very accessible. York has a great bus service and park & ride scheme.

Are you planning on a non-denominational state school or a church one? Why don't you go on the York city council website and view the lists of schools, most have their own website these days.

Areas to avoid are Tang Hall and Clifton, will let you know if I think of any others. Acomb and Fulford are nice areas and many of the outskirt suburbs and there are some lovely little villages.

I'll be in touch again if I think of anything useful!

Caroline (very, very jealous....)

Guest ollie247

Thanks for that. I look forward to next post with useful info. Are there any other station in york apart from the centre one. Lets says we liv in acomb or fulham the city station is nearly 2 miles from there, Are there any other closer. Also we could be looking at a state school non religion school.

I wish i could a afford a private school.

thanks for the reply though.

Sarah

Guest langy

The only reason I ask is that I'm a York lad, we lived in Heworth/Stockton Lane area. My cousin recently sold her place in Wheldrake a village outside of York for 165k, she had it on the market for 215k!!! So you can see that the asking price on rightmove.com is way away from what people are actually getting for their houses.

It is a sorry state of affairs that there are no stations just outside of York, strensall would be perfect. But Malton could offer you a really nice house with a fully functional station as well. Personally I would stay clear of Tang Hall, Bell Farm, Some parts of Acomb (Chapelfields & Foxwood) unless of course you like Burberry. Cycling to the station isn't a bad option, in fact cycling anywhere in York is way more preferable to trying to drive.

Good luck with the move. I do really miss some aspects of York, but on balance Perth is a very fine place indeed.

Guest Yorkie1974

Have a look at Nether Poppleton and surrounding area. Its near Poppleton station on the Harrogate line. Upper Poppleton is a tad expensive. Boroughbridge road area may turn something up. Or for York station try Holgate / Wilton Rise / Acomb, Dringhouses (Avoid Foxwood). They're a short walk or bus ride to the station too. Otherwise you're looking other side of town, Burtonstone Lane, Clifton Moor, (Avoid Clifton-Without) New Earswick, Huntington.

Guest twilighter

Hi do you mind me asking why your moving back? we have been here in oz 7 months and have decided to go back, We lived in Otley west yorkshire, I wish we could move to York!! Its better than Harrogate any way, Have you considered Knaresborough? My home town, and not far on train/car.

Hi Ollie

My sister (Abi and Dan on here) lives in Acomb. I am sure she would be more than happy to help you and get some info off you in return as they want to live here in Oz.

I was thinking of York too on our return at the end of Sept (like you we had to wait for the 6 months after rabies jab for doggy) However Harrogate is our immediate destination as i want my eldest to go back to same school he was at plus my other sister is putting us up til we find a rental. We sold our house on Woodlands Grove and wish dearly that we had rented it out as we will arrive home with no jobs to get a mortgage. Whats your OH got lined up and any chance he can get my OH work????:jimlad: Well you never know its worth asking!

On the house front if you have a job you will easily afford a house in Harrogate though not a posh one i am afraid, a nice semi artound Woodlands or Bilton could be bought for $150k with the money problems being the way they are at the mo.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Georgie

Ollie we lived in Melbourne for 2 years and them moved up to Brisbane only to find it not to our liking hence the move back. We quite liked Melbourne but not enough to want to stay.

I forgot to mention Abi and Dan want to go to Melbourne to live so maybe you could have fun exchanging info.

Guest YORKSHIRELASSY

I live in Malton which is a really nice small market town about 18 miles east of York but think that the commute to Harrogate by train would be a bit of a pain as you would have to change every time at York. I worked in the centre of York for many years and yes it's a beautiful city. My personal choice would be Heworth but thats quite a way from the station. Knaresboro is also really nice. £150k should get you a nice 3 bed semi. Good Luck.

Archived