Anyone else had the same thoughts!

Guest mike_2006uk

Guest mike_2006uk

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone else has done the same.

We decided to move out to Sydney in August 2009, however, we changed our minds and cancelled our flights.

Ever since we got our visa, Australia has been all we have talked about.

We activated our visa's in 2006 and flew out to Perth, as most poms do, we came back after 3 months, hating Perth and missing home.

You all know the story, thinking your missing out on friends and family, work is easier to find, then your old life sets back in and your bored again, thinking "What if".

So, the countdown has begun on our 5 year residental visa, "do we go" or "do we stay" conversations every night. So we have decided to give Sydney a go in January, a month before our visa runs out.

Me and the wife are a pair of home birds, we love coming in from work, cooking and settling down for the night, but we also acknowledge, this is boring and there is more to life.:yes:

Is it easier to settle for the easier life or does it just seem harder to up and go.

We recently watched the "Yes man" film with jim Carey in. We say "No" to lots of things, just because it's easier, so we decided we should say "Yes" to more things and make an effort, and one of those questions was, let's give Sydney a go.

Has anyone else gone through the same strains and pains about making a decision?:arghh:

Guest sandy25

Definately!

Since our original application which was in January 2008, things have changed in so many ways and I feel more settled. We've made changes in other areas of our lives to make it better and it's worked. Now we're thinking OMG what do we do now. We're going to validate before March 2010 and then we've got 5 years like you. But I'm thinking while things are going well here and I've become so much more closer to my brother and his family, I'd be so sad to leave them. Our boys are similar ages. I have felt so unsettled recently and looked around many English villages looking for that lovely life. I've found a few. Still waiting to sell the house though. We've decided to return to validate and explore and make a decision once and f or all. I seem to have had a change of heart. Anyway I can understand your situation as it very much could be me in that exact situation in 5 years time. Do let us know how you get on and all the best with your plans.:unsure:

Guest mike_2006uk

Hi Wendy,

I really appreciate your situation, hope your reckie goes well, you'll love it and come back even more confused.

We are kind of looking at a 2 year trip, gain citizenship, then reassess, but we are hoping we dn't have too.

Guest jchrisj

Me and the wife are a pair of home birds, we love coming in from work, cooking and settling down for the night, but we also acknowledge, this is boring and there is more to life.:yes:

Dont really see whats wrong with your life, if it's what you do and your happy with it, why would australia need for you to change.

Go and chill

You'll love it

Chris

Yes, but in the opposite direction. It was so easy to go with the flow and stay here, much easier than going home at the time. We should have made active decisions with the long term in view rather than just taking the opportunities that came easily rather than looking for something with a long term view. Now I am stuck here and beyond the point of no return really.

At the end of the day it's what you do with your life rather than where you live it.

Yep.

Husband is Australian and we met there. Then moved to the UK 10 years ago.Have two kids here. And my family is here. The long term plan has always been to move to Australia. Primarily because my husband cant settle here 100%.I love Australia but I am still in two minds... We lived in Perrth but are looking at Sydney for next year. I feel totally divided in two re this. One part of me is excited at the prospect of a new life. Onepart of me loves the UK, Europe and all it has to offer and also being close to my family.... Dilemma!! How do you know what's right?? Or do we just have to ry? I wish there was an adult around to just tell me what to do - I don't want to be the adult now!!

Guest gary12
Hi Wendy,

I really appreciate your situation, hope your reckie goes well, you'll love it and come back even more confused.

We are kind of looking at a 2 year trip, gain citizenship, then reassess, but we are hoping we dn't have too.

Mike, I hate to put a downer on things but I have a feeling that citizenship now requires a 4 year stay, (someone will know for sure)

You sound just like us, since coming to Oz though we accept every invite we are given, some people you probably won't make lasting friendships with but others might just turn out to be good friends. We have never done so much as a family, we go out early as we have young children and it suits us.

best of luck

Michelle

Guest snow white
Hi Wendy,

you have to be here 4 years to gain citizenship if you enter after july 2007

lesley x

Guest gary12
Yep.

Husband is Australian and we met there. Then moved to the UK 10 years ago.Have two kids here. And my family is here. The long term plan has always been to move to Australia. Primarily because my husband cant settle here 100%.I love Australia but I am still in two minds... We lived in Perrth but are looking at Sydney for next year. I feel totally divided in two re this. One part of me is excited at the prospect of a new life. Onepart of me loves the UK, Europe and all it has to offer and also being close to my family.... Dilemma!! How do you know what's right?? Or do we just have to ry? I wish there was an adult around to just tell me what to do - I don't want to be the adult now!!

Nim

I think if you get the opportunity to try something different you should. If it turns out not to be the right choice at least you hve given it a try and will not be thinking in 10 years time 'what if?' None of us know 100% if it is the right thing to do but as I said, if you get a chance why not try it?

best of luck

Michelle

Archived