Can I book it for her? And some other questions.

LKC

My 82 year old gran is hoping to come and visit us in October time, providing her GP says it is okay. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping someone can answer.

Can I book her flight and visa for her over the internet if I have her passport number etc? My aunt and uncle (who live near to her) make a mountain out of a molehill, and will make the whole thing more complicated than it is. She doesn't really want to ask them to book it all, but has never used a computer before. I think we would have a greater degree of control by booking it directly with the airline rather than through a travel agent.

With regards to insurance, I presume that a company like Saga or Age Concern will be our best bet.

Many thanks.

Guest chris_mac
My 82 year old gran is hoping to come and visit us in October time, providing her GP says it is okay. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping someone can answer.

Can I book her flight and visa for her over the internet if I have her passport number etc? My aunt and uncle (who live near to her) make a mountain out of a molehill, and will make the whole thing more complicated than it is. She doesn't really want to ask them to book it all, but has never used a computer before. I think we would have a greater degree of control by booking it directly with the airline rather than through a travel agent.

With regards to insurance, I presume that a company like Saga or Age Concern will be our best bet.

Many thanks.

Hi LKC

Of course you can book your grans flight for her.. Doesnt matter who books or pays as long as the person on the ticket is the person boarding!

Re travel insurance i would just hit google with "Pensioner Travel Insurance" and then take your pick..

Best of luck to you and your Gran

Chris

Thank you! I though that that was the case, but told her I would check. She was going to come with a friend, but her friend is now failing fast and has said that she probably won't come, so I would like to make things as easy as possible for her becuase the travelling will be on her own.

Just another question. Can I book help for her in Sydney for when she arrives? I know for sure that she won't be able to take her suitcases from the carousel at luggage reclaim, because she has arthritis in her shoulders. Can I request that a wheelchair meets her at the plane? I just want to do all I can to make the Aussie end easy.

Guest guest17301

Hi LKC...I'm doing my nans visa for her too..did my mums the other week..no problems. Not sure about booking the flights though? What about the currency difference, isn't it cheaper to buy from the UK?

Guest chris_mac
Thank you! I though that that was the case, but told her I would check. She was going to come with a friend, but her friend is now failing fast and has said that she probably won't come, so I would like to make things as easy as possible for her becuase the travelling will be on her own.

Just another question. Can I book help for her in Sydney for when she arrives? I know for sure that she won't be able to take her suitcases from the carousel at luggage reclaim, because she has arthritis in her shoulders. Can I request that a wheelchair meets her at the plane? I just want to do all I can to make the Aussie end easy.

The airline you book with who ever it may be simply ask them to provide assistance during boarding & transfers. This way they will have the little cars that wiz round the airport teminals.. (The ones were you say, "Jammy gits" as you slog 60k worth of baggage) waiting for your gran. We did it for our in laws and they where treated like royalty and taken from plane to plane, not getting lost or looking at screens.. A really good service.. That was with Emirates.

Best wishes

Chris

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi LKC,

,I actually suggest you book through a travel agent,and the reason I suggest that is because you are in some ways setting yourself up for

problems in booking through the internet because in your case there are a couple of factors that may cause problems.

1 You are booking from Australia for flights from the UK-airline reservations systems don't like that.

2 You are booking travel for a second party

3 You are booking travel for a second party and a third party is paying.

In my 12 years as an agent I would say that is a recipe for disaster-I suggest you either book through a travel agent or ring the airline and do it on the phone,that way you can explain the situation and put a stop to any confusion,you can also ask them to arrange for a buggy so your

grandmother doesn't have to walk a long way through terminals etc.

Much better to talk to a real person.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have had a lot of experience in these matters and have seen confusion cause many problems-better to be safe then sorry.

Cheers

Thank you for the warning! Actually, I was talking to hubby about it this morning, and he suggested that he just phone up and book it for her, so I think we'll either do that or as you say use a travel agent, then we know that we have booked what we wanted. She is so excited about coming to visit that I would hate anything to go wrong!

Guest proud2beaussie

I really think that it's a good idea to do it on the phone as that way you get the chance to explain the reason why you are booking and not travelling etc.

Some airline systems,not all,won't actually accept a booking if the credit card being used isn't in the name of the person travelling so all in all it's a good idea to phone the airline or a travel agent and get some personal service.

Also if something does go wrong (not likely though) if you speak with a real person you have someone to yell at afterwards!

Good luck with it all,I hope your gran has a good trip and a nice time in OZ.

Guest The Pom Queen
Some airline systems,not all,won't actually accept a booking if the credit card being used isn't in the name of the person travelling

Have to agree with Nigel on this, when we first were on our way to Australia, my inlaws were going to purchase our flight tickets as a leaving present but at that time Singapore would not allow anyone to book using a credit card unless they were flying at the same time. Now this was quite a number of years ago and things may have changed, but just check!!

On another note, good on your gran for making the flight out, wow 82 years old and she is coming over to visit, now that is one hell of a woman and she must think a lot about you. Tell her that the PIO members think she is super gran:biglaugh:

Archived