Australia to NZ?

LukeM

• 8 months later...
Guest DanielArg

Hello Luke,

I think you can... anyway I can suggest you to ask this topic in the emigratenz.org forum Which is a forum of british moving to NZ

Cheers, Daniel :biggrin:

My understanding is that if you are an Aussie permanent resident you automatically get NZ PR on arrival in NZ.

The snag is that if you decide to live in NZ for an extended period of time, your aussie visa will at some point expire (probably after about 5 years) and then you will not be an aussie permanent resident and therefore your NZ residency will be a problem.

Guest Liverbird5

Hi I am an NZ Citizen (as well as British) and we had to have citizenship to be able to live and work in OZ, and I'm pretty sure it's the same the other way around. You cannot work in Oz on NZ PR so virtually 100% sure you cannot work just with Oz PR as they have the Trans Tas agreement. It's easy to get a visa to go and live in NZ if you can proove you have cash etc if it's not just a holiday but to work (if you do not have a specific work visa) you need citizenship.

When we arrived here we did not get OZ PR, we get a tempoary resident special cat visa, so we are not classed as PR, only temp. For those that arrived before Feb 2001 they got PR but as too many NZers have come over (like me!) they changed the law both ways. If I wanted to become a PR i have to apply through the same channels as any other overseas applicant and it's the same the other way around.

We loved NZ and lived there for 6 years before I was offered a job here that I couldn't get in NZ but would go back in a shot if things changed over there. East Auckland is so lovely!

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, especially if Auckland is where you want to go.

Guest Liverbird5

Hi I have just looked at that website that was suggested so you can work in NZ with OZ PR but not sure then about being given NZ PR on arrival, would be interested to know that it is not the same the other way around then. You live and learn, obvilously better to be have OZ PR than the other way around!!!

Hi, Although there is a trans tassie agreement it's stacked to advantage the aussies. Kiwi citizens can enter Aus on a special category visa (SCV444) and can work here. But as said by Liverbird, it is a temporary visa (although unlimited) and doesn't allow you to accrue time towards citizenship. It also doesn't give you acess to unemployment benefit which is the crux of the reason for the agreement. You do however get most other stuff like family tax beneift, medicare and first home buyers grants.

My job in NZ a couple of years ago involved this issue of aussies coming to NZ and (a couple of years ago) it was certainly the case that Aussie PRs and citizens get automatic NZ residency on arrival (odd but true) - they therfore get all of the NZ benefits that go with NZ PR. Which (being a bit cynical) is stuff all compared with Australia :)

Still miss the God's Own now and again. Went back for Xmas and had a fine time.

Guest DanielArg
Hi I have just looked at that website that was suggested so you can work in NZ with OZ PR but not sure then about being given NZ PR on arrival, would be interested to know that it is not the same the other way around then. You live and learn, obvilously better to be have OZ PR than the other way around!!!

You know guys, I don't know what to do...

My friends, two of them Australians (who live in here and teaching English language in Buenos Aires) tell me that Australia have better prospects in my field (engineering).

But when I see a pic or I read something about New Zealand I cannot avoid the temptation of read it or watch it...

When I started to think in migrate, 2 years ago, I was sure on going to New Zealand... after, as I told you, I changed my mind... or some circunstances have helped in change my mind...

You can find this silly or naive, but, if you want, you can send me your opinion :wink:

Hi Daniel,

I lived in NZ for ten years and now, comparing with the Melbourne area (as opposed to other areas in Australia), I find the Kiwis more relaxed and environmentally aware, and NZ is very beautiful. NZ is however a smaller country and prospects are more limited, so if you need to make money, NZ isn't great. You can easily get by if you are a professional engineer, but you need to accept that opportunities are generally more limited.

Australia is certainly richer based on it's mineral mining and building. It seems to have 'a dig it, pulp it, clear and build' mentality which is rarely successfully challenged as any one voicing a concern is cut down by the media as being a threat to the all important 'jobs' that these industries create. It's quite a protectionist country. If you need to make money and are willing to trade-off a little quality of life then Aus is good. It's certainly a great country to live in compared to many others (eg., UK) and these comments need to be taken in context - i.e., they are both great countries and both have a lot going for them and a good quality of life.

Guest DanielArg

Hello Skipjak,

Excellent and balanced response you have added many elements in order to compare both options...

Firstly, I agree with you, migration involves a sacrifice that must be made to obtain a certain thing... so, to save money, Australia.

By the other hand, I've been in New Zealand on vacation and I get impressed, as you said, the cordiality of Kiwis... even the bus driver say "hello" with a smile.

In addition to this, maybe salaries are lower in NZ, but, living, real estate, etc. are cheaper too.

Finally, I found a little dificult the procedure to migrate to Australia. That fact demands to me to hire a Migration Agent, who has a fee of AUD 3.500, which is a lot of money for "income's inhabitant of an undeveloped country" as I am. While, New Zealand has a process more, more clear and simple, as personally I would expect from an anglosaxon country.

Thank you again for your help. I will take my time to evaluate the choices.

Cheers, Daniel :wink:

People ask why I originally chose to emmigrated to NZ rather than say Aus or Canada and it was because the NZ process was a lot simpler. But that was a good few years ago. The aussie immigration process is certainly harder.

I read recently someones comment that went something like... "Applying for an Aussie visa and moving to the country is the most stressful experience you will ever have - and I used to work in a war zone where poeple would be shooting at me". I think he summed up the Aussie visa process quite well :)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I've just come back from a holiday in NZ and my entry stamp on my passport says i can work in NZ as I have Australian PR. However, i think there would be problems as the Australian PR runs out as it only lasts 5 years and your last year has to be in Oz.

I did find NZ much nicer than Australia (apart from the bloody weather), many things are much cheaper including booze and bananas at NZ$1.50 a kilo and the food and people are fantastic.

Guest DanielArg
I've just come back from a holiday in NZ and my entry stamp on my passport says i can work in NZ as I have Australian PR. However, i think there would be problems as the Australian PR runs out as it only lasts 5 years and your last year has to be in Oz.

I did find NZ much nicer than Australia (apart from the bloody weather), many things are much cheaper including booze and bananas at NZ$1.50 a kilo and the food and people are fantastic.

And, could you please give us your opinion about some issues as:

1. NZ is really isolated

2. Salaries are really low

3. Culture barely exists (no more than beer and All Blacks)

I don't agree with that, but this is what I've heard from some people from Europe and US. :notworthy:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest31881

You are all replying to a thread that is 18 months old, some of these posters no longer post on PIO, I have closed it to save confusion

Archived