getting around Sydney

twinkle

I have heard that the public transport system in and around Sydney is awful. Is this true? I am a non-driver and had every intention of not learning!

How do most people move around?

Is cycling about town a good idea?

Cheers, Twinkle:)

I have heard that the public transport system in and around Sydney is awful. Is this true? I am a non-driver and had every intention of not learning!

Cheers, Twinkle:)[/quote

If you are living in the City the best way to get around is to walk or to take the bus. I live outside the City and have had no trouble travelling by train but cannot comment on peak

travelling times.

Cheers, Twinkle:)

Cycling is not a good idea, people drive fast here and there are loads of lorries around. The public transport is cheap, but the connections etc aren't very good unlike London, where you can get off a tube station and they'll be a number of buses outside or there maybe a main line overground station.

In the city there are only 3 main stations. The roads aren't good here. They aren't properly networked. Like from the M25, you can catch the M4, M1, M3 etc. Here it isn't that well planned. Oh yeah you have to pay for the M-ways, which can equate to about 2-3 quid a go.

Tis true - public transport is cheap (about $5 - 2ukp to go 20km on the bus) but not all connections are great. For Sydney check out the transport website http://www.131500.com.au for routes and fares. This is useful when researching where to live if you intend using public transport as it calculates route times using foot, bus, trains and ferrys.

Driving into rushhour Sydney is no better than any other major city I suspect but I use a motorbike and have legal access to transit and bus lanes (25km commute into CBD takes 1/2hour - double that at least by car)

Guest koala12

Whereabouts in Sydney you going to be Twinkle? My daughter travels every day into the CBD from home by bus and finds it very reliable, fare depends obviously on how long your journey is but she buys a weekly season ticket and it's not exhorbitant. Not had much experience of the rail network but where we are roads seem fine and have no complaints although you do have to pay tolls on some of them. Ferries are also an option depending on where you live and where you want to get to - that's a great way to travel!

Not sure whereabouts we are gonna be yet, hubby will be working in surry hills and we would like to be as near to that as possible but as I don't have a job yet i'm not sure where I will need to commute to/from. Just wanted to get a general over view so I can start getting an idea.

Archived