How to select a good shipping company?

Guest bentkitty

Guest bentkitty

Hi, we will shortly be getting quotes from shipping companies to get our stuff moved from the UK to Adelaide. Except price (!) are there any other factors I should take into account / any questions I should be asking them when they come around to give us a quote??

Someone said I should always ask if they have bankruptcy insurance? what else??

I have browsed the forums and have a good selection of shippers to contact.... any help re the above would be really appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm off soon to Au.

We have chosen Bonners, their full name is Doree Bonner, my brother used them last autumn and told me the packers were a great laugh but got on and did a great job . .provided they were kept topped up with tea !. . reminds me to set dates with them as soon as the laywer say's go. I have not got their number to hand, try Google.

From my research look for a company who is a member of BAR 'overseas group' (not just BAR ) which means they are bonded, FIDI - for international removal standards plus they must be registered with the FSA for marine insurance. I had one company who said they were, when I checked they had been suspended!

Good luck

Guest jewels1356

i used john mason aint got me goods yet but they docked in brisbane yesterday i had a shared container,so far found them very good

julie

Guest snow white

we used doree bonner twice and i recommend them on m site they were that good they gave us all the info we needed and we didnt have any questions left to ask even gave us free storage too

all the best

lesley x

We used John masons ... to be honest the thing that swung it was the guy who came round. We hadn't emptied the loft but organised it into take and get rid off, one company just looked at the side we were taking and estimated what there was (in 5 seconds), they also gave us a quote which included 5 bikes (we has 2). The guy from John Mason, went into the loft and wrote down each item, he spoke to us about what we could and couldn't take, and identified they'd need to do special packaging for my daughters dolls house. I'm sure other companies would have given us an equally good service, (ours was excellent both in UK and by Wridgeways in Aus), but it really was about first impressions for us.

Guest JoanneHattersley

We used Simpsons removals who are based in Kent. Mum (CazBeckham) used them too. They were fantastic! No hassles whatsoever! We chose to pack our own but Mum and Dad had them pack it for them.

Guest kevin/jayne

Hi

I used a major player (not allowed to say which one but opposite to Black & Co) and they said they would take 2 days to cafefully wrap and pack my goods but came and threw everything into boxes in 5 hours. These pompey morons tore through my house without even a care as to the damage they were doing to my home(thank god I was selling it in 2 days) and even ran out of wrapping material and boxes even though they had done a trip back to their depot with one lot of stuff.These were then dumped into a van and dumped onto their loading bay where they stayed for at least the next 2 months that I know off. When I tried to intervene about the packing they said they would be properly wrapped back at the depot. When I tried to complain I was rudely told that I had nothing to worry about but even after 2 vists to their warehouse(where I wandered round without anyone stopping me, so much for secure), I was assured that my stuff was safely packed in crates ready for shipment-This was until I pointed my stuff out to them still sitting on the loading bay floor, still not properly wrapped. I was told by one nice guy that I should write to the MD and complain- What good would that do!!!! So be warned this was the Botley, Hants branch. I am still awaitng my stuff so can't comment on what damage there is.:arghh:

Well my goods have finally arrived and as I expected 3 chairs from the dining suite were damaged. Also it seems that 'some-one' has gone through my belongings and have helped themselves to a fair number of my items. They have chosen small items of average value hoping I would not miss them. Due to the appalling packing proceedure and poor itinary I may still be unaware of more missing goods as things are still coming back to me which were packed and have failed to make it to the other end. I will not be persuing a claim for the missing stuff as its not worth the hassle and the less I deal with this company the better. Please be warned that these are a bunch of cowboys!!!

Guest rubydoo

anyone heard of universal removals??????? I live in Spain and am finding it quite hard to find a removal company had a quote from pickfords.

Please help

• 1 month later...

Archived