Credit Rating dose it go with you ?

Guest falconkestral

Guest falconkestral

Dose your credit rating follow you ? I have been paying my student debts off, at a heafty wack;over £1200 per mth, as want to be clear asap. Then last week I get a phone call from a bloke trying to set me up with an Australian bank account, who tells me my credit rating wont mean anything when I get to Oz ! surely this can not be true, its all electronic today, world is a smaller place and all that.?But what really gets me is why have I been paying them back at all. If your credit rating dont follow you, morally its right to carry on, I have paid 9000 off, I got 6 grand left to pay. but that equates to $12000, which would be a good starting block whereas I would be lucky to have 3 grand in my pocket, but would be debt free ! and a 1st class credit rating in UK , but what good is that to me when I have no intention of returning to UK. Moral and factual advice needed.

hi, No your right your credit rating does not follow you.

If you dont return to the uk and have outstanding debts what can they do- they cant follow you to oz? but take into consideration if you have family or friends that are still in the uk, what if they were to fall ill or worse, and you return even for a short time - by this time your debts would have been handed over to a debt collection agency and they will stop at nothing to get a repayment!

on the other hand, If you do pay off your debts prior to leaving, at least if it doesnt work out in Oz you can return to the UK with a clean sheet and no issues with finance ect and have no worry that your debts may just turn up when you least expect it.

Belive me, paying it off is best, we have been there and am just paying the last bit on our credit card next month, we fly out on 28th may ...............good luck.

Kris x

hi, No your right your credit rating does not follow you.

If you dont return to the uk and have outstanding debts what can they do- they cant follow you to oz? but take into consideration if you have family or friends that are still in the uk, what if they were to fall ill or worse, and you return even for a short time - by this time your debts would have been handed over to a debt collection agency and they will stop at nothing to get a repayment!

on the other hand, If you do pay off your debts prior to leaving, at least if it doesnt work out in Oz you can return to the UK with a clean sheet and no issues with finance ect and have no worry that your debts may just turn up when you least expect it.

Belive me, paying it off is best, we have been there and am just paying the last bit on our credit card next month, we fly out on 28th may ...............good luck.

Kris x

Oh yes they can , any govt incurred debt can follow you , I would presume student loans are a govt debt

Guest falconkestral

Thanks for advice, I just received email from Martin finance expert. It says student debts will now go onto your credit file. Im with Check my File, most recent report shows I score 5 stars with creditcheck, you can not get a hire credit rating, so I've decided I will plod along in the same vain as I started, I may have little in my pocket on arrival, but really I will have more as will have No Debit, just the presure off my shoulders is worth more than what I owe.

Thanks all for advice you've helped me to stay focuss !

Archived