Paulnic

Guest Paulnic

Guest Paulnic

Confused and Desperate

We are parents who have retired early and in our early 60s. My daughter and family are hopefully migrating in November 2007 so we are wanting to come and live in Australia and wonder if an Investor Retirement Visa (Subclass 405) is a better option than waiting 2 years to qualify for a Contributory Parent Visa. Has anyone gone down this route and are you able to then apply for a parent visa after the 4 years? If anyone has any other advice it will be most welcome.

The Investor Retirement visa has quite significant financial criteria to be satisfied, as discussed here:

http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=345

This said, the Contributory Parent visa pathway is also an expensive option, with the visa application charges and Assurance of Support Bonds adding up to close to $70,000 for a Mum and Dad.

From your posting it seems that the issue is the inability on the part of your daughter to sponsor you for a CP visa until she is "settled". As such, and subject to your finances, a strategy might be to apply for a 405 visa initially, and to then apply for a CP visa (probably an onshore Aged Parent CP visa) once your daughter is "settled" in Australia.

Remember also that an Assurance of Support is required prior to the grant of a permanent CP visa - and that the Assurer (who need not be a close your relative) is required to pass an income test:

http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=214

If you would like to discuss this more fully I would telephone my office in Southampton on 023 80 488777, and ask for John Sylvester - I know that John is presently handling a 405 application for a couple in a similar situation to yours.

Best regards.

Confused and Desperate

We are parents who have retired early and in our early 60s. My daughter and family are hopefully migrating in November 2007 so we are wanting to come and live in Australia and wonder if an Investor Retirement Visa (Subclass 405) is a better option than waiting 2 years to qualify for a Contributory Parent Visa. Has anyone gone down this route and are you able to then apply for a parent visa after the 4 years? If anyone has any other advice it will be most welcome.

Archived